Mass Deleting Users with Multiple Tabs.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wouldnot

Mass Deleting Users with Multiple Tabs.

Post by wouldnot »

I want to delete spam user names. I have installed a couple of mods than let me do a 1 click delete then on the next page a confirmation.

It is easier to open each username in a new tab then click the delete confirmation rather than do each one at a time. Multiple tabs don't work for 3.0.x. I had a mod that worked fine in v2 though.

One at a time is so time consuming that it's easier to cut and paste the username then use the admin pruning function (still a pain!).

Is there a way to let this happen or a better way to quickly delete users when seen in a thread? The pruning feature is not ideal.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Mass Deleting Users with Multiple Tabs.

Post by KevC »

users and groups
prune users

You can select multiple accounts with the 'find a member' link and then delete them in one go.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
wouldnot

Post by wouldnot »

Find a member doesn't help identify spam posts.

Can it list more than a dozen members?

I see others want solutions for deleting mass amounts of spammers.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

wouldnot wrote:Find a member doesn't help identify spam posts.
Spambots usually stick out a mile from their name or the fact they have links in their profile which are listed on that find page.
wouldnot wrote:Can it list more than a dozen members?
Yes.
In post settings set the topics per page to what you want and that's how many users you'll get per page on that member search.
wouldnot wrote:I see others want solutions for deleting mass amounts of spammers.
First thing is to stop them getting in with the info in the sticky topic at the top of this forum.
The prune users option gives very good systems for removing them.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
wouldnot

Post by wouldnot »

Thanks for the support. I just trying to scrub some old spam from this forum in an efficient way and of course prevention is the next step.

Can I use find a member and view their profile signature? This would kill 90% of the spam fast.

The find member function can find some of the users. They often have no profile website link. A large amount are identified through looking at their posts though. I want an easy way to delete these people. Any solution for this?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you open a post and it's clearly spam you can click administer user and delete them and their posts at the same time.

The find a member option will show any accounts with a link in their sig as that shows up in the memberlist column for it.

It's difficult though to view multiple pieces of information for multiple users all at the same time. Any MOD would take longer to write and install than it would take to remove the accounts.
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

wouldnot wrote:Can I use find a member and view their profile signature? This would kill 90% of the spam fast.
In "Find a member" you can <SHIFT><CLICK> a membername which opens a new window with the users profile. There you can see the signature and search the users posts. Whenever you found the user to be a spam user (or not) you can close that window and tickmark that user (or not) and proceed with the next member. When you're done tickmarking all spamusers, you click Select marked and on the "Prune users" screen you can Submit to Deactivate or Delete all selected users.
cikasfm

Post by cikasfm »

Prune users fails for me when a user has posted a lot of messages ( over 2k, for example ).

Now I have a problem where there was a time I didn't upgrade to the latest version and now I have spam records of ~2k up to ~20k spam posts per user, and pruning fails with ERROR 500.

Is there an SQL I could use for deleting user posts?

Thank you!
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Do you have any real members left? Usually when boards become over run with 10's of thousands of spam posts the real members move on.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9369

You can attempt the patch there, but it is in my opinion unfinished, not guaranteed to work correctly and possibly dangerous. Use it at your own risk.

What I used for killing singular users from console: https://gist.github.com/4231787 (you'll have to tweak it or use as inspiration only)
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”