One year later, "phpBB Falling Behind"

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

One year later, "phpBB Falling Behind"

Post by wGEric »

It has been over a year since I posted the phpBB Falling Behind topic. 3.1 appears to be a little closer to release but still a long ways off. AJAX was merged. Template events have been merged. Migrations (part of extensions) is still a blocker. phpBB really is falling further and further behind.

It is nice to see the EXreaction is on the development team now. He has been actively pushing to get the blockers done.

Is the development team happy with their speed? If not, why has nothing been done to change that? Are you still two years away from release?
Eric
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Re: One year later, "phpBB Falling Behind"

Post by naderman »

Hey Eric,

Like you said yourself things have happened, so clearly we are changing to improve things. None of us are happy with the fact it's not released yet. And we're doing all we can to get it done. Why would you even question that? Are you telling me you think that we are intentionally delaying releases because we don't like you or some other reason I cannot think of?

We are constantly looking for additional help, and we are extremely grateful to people like EXreaction who are putting in work to get a new release done. I would really appreciate it if you would try and help us too, rather than tie up tons of people in pointless discussions like this one.

I say it's a pointless discussion because your question is phrased similar to the question of "Why don't we have flying cars, we've had cars for over 100 years now". It's an open ended question to which there isn't any proper answer and this discussion has no particular realistic goal.

Thank you,
Nils
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

This is the kind of topic that prompts people to say things like "well, why aren't you contributing?" or "if you were contributing, there would be more progress."

I don't have a better response than that. There is unfortunately no solution or improvement being proposed anywhere in this post that I can comment on. Likewise, I cannot find a sincere question that I can answer by supplying some unknown piece of information. So I am drawing a blank on the purpose of this topic, other than to draw attention to the fact that, indeed, we do need more contributors, and if there are developers who wish to contribute, their help would be appreciated, as ever.

I would also like to point out that everything is always "falling behind" because time continues to move forward. So it is not spectacularly astute to point out that phpBB may indeed be "falling behind" as software begins "falling behind" even before it is released. The next version will undoubtedly trump the competition in certain areas, and they will continue to excel in others. I would maybe suggest that we begin R&D into falling ahead.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

I would really appreciate it if you would try and help us too, rather than tie up tons of people in pointless discussions like this one.
Discussions like this are what made me decide that I don't want to contribute. From yours and Marshalrusty's replies I see that things are the same as they were a year ago. I guess I already knew that though. I'll go back to lurking.
Eric
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I vote we just let this die before it turns into the same thing the last one did.
Or maybe even lock it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

naderman wrote:I say it's a pointless discussion because your question is phrased similar to the question of "Why don't we have flying cars, we've had cars for over 100 years now". It's an open ended question to which there isn't any proper answer and this discussion has no particular realistic goal.
That is probably the worse example you could come up with. I've never seen an established car company claiming to be working on one ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

wGEric wrote:
I would really appreciate it if you would try and help us too, rather than tie up tons of people in pointless discussions like this one.
Discussions like this are what made me decide that I don't want to contribute. From yours and Marshalrusty's replies I see that things are the same as they were a year ago. I guess I already knew that though. I'll go back to lurking.
Coming from someone who a Former Team Member?!?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I vote we just let this die before it turns into the same thing the last one did.
Or maybe even lock it.

robert
+1

Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Reply to: "One year later, "phpBB Falling Behind"

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Topic was locked whilst posting this reply. It contains constructive comments...so...*shrug*
[What kind of dictatorship are we running here anyway? Where a negative topic gets locked down??]
naderman wrote:I would really appreciate it if you would try and help us too, rather than tie up tons of people in pointless discussions like this one.
There's an argument to say that those responsible for the future of the project ought to be doing more; so that these topics don't actually arise at all. Not necessarily in terms of spending every minute of their free time coding, but by providing regular public updates, letting the users know exactly where 3.1 stands and what's preventing it from being released.

As an end user myself I'm waiting on 3.1 before starting work on a new site of mine; it's incredibly frustrating to not even know if it will come in 2013 or not. If the 3.1 whole process was more open, transparent and could be understood by most of phpBB's userbase (by not talking in terms of blockers / migrations / tickets), then I think a lot more users could come to terms with the fact that the dev team aren't perfect and that 3.1 will take [even more] time.

Basically it is not enough for team members to keep saying "3.1 will offer xyz" and build it up as the next best thing, when it is continually pushed back (the latest reason I've discovered from lurking on Facebook is that many senior team members are sitting final exams).
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Reply to: "One year later, "phpBB Falling Behind"

Post by EXreaction »

You may find the discussion on what's needed for 3.1 here:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=41977

As it says, the only blocker for 3.1 alpha is migrations, which is being worked on in as much time as we have (which for many of us has been very little the last month). The amount of work is relatively small, but many of us have finals and holidays coming up and collaborating isn't always easy with everyone's schedules. :)

As far as development being open, it is. There is zero truly hidden discussions in the development team related to phpBB Development. That's not to say that things are easy to find however. You must actively watch the bug tracker and/or github if you want to stay up-to-date on what is going on.

As the other topic was locked, I will respect the wishes of whomever did that and lock this as well. Area51 is the better place for discussion regarding development and I will happily answer any questions there. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”