Migrating forum from PunBB 1.4.2 to phpBB3

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
bertie343

Re: Migrating forum from PunBB 1.4.2 to phpBB3

Post by bertie343 »

An issue I found with this converter, the quotes aren't translated correctly. In Pun, the quotes are of the form [quote=username] whereas in phpBB it is [quote="username"]. How can I fix this so that all of my posts have the quote tags working correctly?
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

rahulpsharma wrote:However, I now realize that none of the image attachments which were uploaded in punbb got converted... There were plenty of images uploaded in punbb... Is there any way to get these images from punbb to my newly converted forum....!!
Yeah, the converter only converts the data that is in a stock PunBB installation. Are you using the official attachment extension? I can take a look into implementing that in the next few days.
bertie343 wrote:An issue I found with this converter, the quotes aren't translated correctly.[..] How can I fix this so that all of my posts have the quote tags working correctly?
In functions_punbb14.php, find:

Code: Select all

$message = preg_replace('/\[quote="(.*?)"\]/s', '[quote="\1"]', $message);
Replace with:

Code: Select all

$message = preg_replace('/\[quote="?(.*?)"?\]/s', '[quote="\1"]', $message);
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.
bertie343

Post by bertie343 »

How does this account for the bbcode_uid and bbcode_bitfield? Don't those also have to be correctly populated for the quotes to work?
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

That's simply ensuring that the quote bbcodes are in the correct phpBB format. The message parser will handle the bitfield and uid. Note that this change is to the converter itself - meaning that you will have to rerun it.
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.
bertie343

Post by bertie343 »

Here comes my next question: can I rerun the converter and have it go through existing posts or do I have to start with a fresh phpBB install again?
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Simply reupload the install directory along with the PunBB converter files and browse to install/ as before.
rahulpsharma

Post by rahulpsharma »

prototech wrote:
rahulpsharma wrote:However, I now realize that none of the image attachments which were uploaded in punbb got converted... There were plenty of images uploaded in punbb... Is there any way to get these images from punbb to my newly converted forum....!!
Yeah, the converter only converts the data that is in a stock PunBB installation. Are you using the official attachment extension? I can take a look into implementing that in the next few days.
Thanks for your reply...

I am sorry but I didn't understand the 'official attachment extension' part... Following is what I did while posting in Punbb:

There's a facility to Browse and Add File in the post... In my case, the files were images (jpg) and were 'Added' while posting the reply...!! After the post, the image would appear as a hyperlink in the post (like abc.jpg)... Clicking the hyperlink would display the image...!!

It would really be helpful, if there would be a way out to transfer images in the respective posts...

Thanks again for your reply and help...

Regards,
Rahul
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Yes, I understand that your board has the ability to attach files to posts. ;) My point is that the default PunBB package does not include such a feature, so you or another administrator had to add it at some point. PunBB has official extensions to add additional functionality to the board. One of them adds the ability to attach files, so my question to you is whether you're using that specific extension as I need to know how the attachments are stored and the structure of the database table in order to be able to have the converter include the attachments as well.
bertie343

Post by bertie343 »

I'm going to add another request in here. Could you have the converter check for the presence of a plugin and if it is there, convert it over? For example, I'm trying to convert the PMs from the PunPM extension: http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/punbb13/ ... ons/pun_pm (I know it says Pun 1.3 but it is compatible with 1.4) so that the phpBB forum will have all of the users' PMs
rahulpsharma

Post by rahulpsharma »

prototech wrote:Yes, I understand that your board has the ability to attach files to posts. ;) My point is that the default PunBB package does not include such a feature, so you or another administrator had to add it at some point. PunBB has official extensions to add additional functionality to the board. One of them adds the ability to attach files, so my question to you is whether you're using that specific extension as I need to know how the attachments are stored and the structure of the database table in order to be able to have the converter include the attachments as well.
Oh Yes... That was pretty much the case... I remember I did, indeed, download from the 'official extensions' link you referred to in your post...!! A lot of them... Rather almost all of them...!!

Look forward to your next version of converter soon...

Yes, I understand that my board wasn't special to have the attachment facility.... :)... I just chose to elaborate so that the details don't get lost in 'official' IT jargon...!! I neither have an IT background nor is English my first language... :)...!! So am always doubtful, if my writing will be understood correctly...!! :)..

Thanks and Regards
Rahul
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

I have uploaded a new version which supports the attachments and private messages extensions. You may want to enable thumbnail creation in phpBB in the ACP => Attachment settings prior to running the converter, otherwise the full-sized images will be displayed in phpBB. The fix for the quote bbcode problem that bertie343 pointed out is also included.
rahulpsharma

Post by rahulpsharma »

prototech wrote:I have uploaded a new version which supports the attachments and private messages extensions. You may want to enable thumbnail creation in phpBB in the ACP => Attachment settings prior to running the converter, otherwise the full-sized images will be displayed in phpBB. The fix for the quote bbcode problem that bertie343 pointed out is also included.
Heyyyyyyy....!! Thanks a lot... I just converted my forum SUCCESSFULLY...!!! Thanks INDEED...!!!!

Thanks and regards
Rahul
Last edited by rahulpsharma on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertie343

Post by bertie343 »

Yeah, it would be nice if I could convert over the PMs from my old Pun forums instead of having to rerun the entire converter again and starting fresh.
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Try this as your convert_punbb14.php then. https://gist.github.com/prototech/44fef7b36e58d3922554
siewcu

Post by siewcu »

Hello,
I have an issue with punbb1.4 converter. It has a big problem with converting usernames or topics with polish diacritics. It has also problems with moving user groups and board permissions, but it doesn't make problem ;)
Is there anything I can do to move these topics? Changing coding of post/topics tables(on the same that is in punbb) didn't made any change.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”