Full, Entire Path to Embed a YouTube

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
Poor Butterfly

Full, Entire Path to Embed a YouTube

Post by Poor Butterfly »

I've spent a lot of time looking at the archives about how to embed a YouTube, have tried them all, and none work.

So far, I understand I'm supposed to do something in the BBCode of my Admin panel, but I do not understand any of this jargon. What does "{SIMPLETEXT}" mean? What do I change this 'to', and what do I change anything 'from'?

Please begin at the beginning, giving the full path of where I am to place a code, how to get there from the beginning, and what each code word means and is replaced with.
5hocK

Re: Full, Entire Path to Embed a YouTube

Post by 5hocK »

Good place to start is here Adding Custom BBCodes in phpBB3
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.
Sinom
Translator

Post by Sinom »

Hello Poor Butterfly!

You are not to change that string of code in to anything.

Follow the the instructions in this link: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/bbcode/youtube/

And do not replace anything :)

- Sinom
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

or use this one which is very similar:

http://phpbbace.com/testboard/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=119

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Poor Butterfly

Post by Poor Butterfly »

I do appreciate so many people trying to help with this, but the most confusing thing is when several people chime in with answers, and they're all different. Here's what it looks like right now in my ACP:

Doesn't whatever I place into "HTML replacement" change - or maybe the correct word is 'override' - what's in the top box? What is it I put into the replacement box?
poultrymatters

Post by poultrymatters »

Removed as possibly confusing.
Last edited by poultrymatters on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

poor butterfly

the variables like {SIMPLETEXT} are the only thing that get replaced.
the point of bbcode is to replace html since html in a post is a security risk.

in the case of a youtube video. If you could use html in a post then all you would have to do is copy the code that you get from the youtube page into your post and the video would work.

since you can't do that, you use bbcode.

the current embed method that youtube uses is the iframe method that I posted above.

the other/older methods still work but I have no idea if or when youtube will discontinue them.

the bottom line is that if you just want it to work, then just follow the instructions and use it.

in my set of instructions for instance.

copy what is in the box for "bbcode":

Code: Select all

[youtube]{TEXT}embed/{IDENTIFIER}{TEXT2}[/youtube]
put it in the bbcode box in your admin panel.

copy what is in the html replacement box from my example and put it in your html replacement box.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{IDENTIFIER}" frameborder="2"></iframe>
copy what is in the help line box from my example and put it in the help line box in your admin panel.

[youtube]copy and paste the iframe embed code here[/youtube]
click the button that says to show in the posting page and you are done.

there will now be a button with all the rest of your bbcode buttons that says youtube on it.

to use it, you go to the youtube page where the video is and you click on the embed button below the video.
you then copy the iframe code that shows up in the box.

back on your board, in the post you want to add the video to, you click the youtube bbcode button and paste the iframe code in between the youtube brackets and you are done.

submit the post and you will see the youtube video.

the reason I suggest this method over the old one is because it is much simpler for your users to use and understand. they do not have to find a particular bit of the URL or of the embed code etc.
they just have to copy the complete embed code that youtube gives them and paste it inbetween the bbcode brackets. very quick and simple.

robert

Poor Butterfly

Post by Poor Butterfly »

Thank you, it is working now, though that is a lot of steps. On some forums, just the url at the top can be copy/pasted between the tags. The "youtube" button was already showing, btw, and it would show the words in the post, but I just didn't know what to paste in between. I thought we had to paste what is shown when you click "Share", which I see has to be clicked before "Embed" will show up anyway.
Lumpy Burgertushie

there are some youtube bbcodes that allow you to just copy the url from the browser address bar and paste it in. however, it can't cover all the possible youtube urls . Most people understand how the youtube embed thing works besides if you simply click the embed button, it gives you the correct url and instructions on what to do with it.

glad you got it working.

robert

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”