phpBB modification

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
maxjam

phpBB modification

Post by maxjam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:17 am

Hi there!

I am new to the world of phpBB and would like to ask a few basic questions. I am the GM of a gaming community and have in the past used smf forums and currently an enjin website. Our smf forum was hosted by ejeet and was fairly modable for someone of limited technical skills ie me!

Are phpBB forums similar?

As a gaming guild our users like to embed youtube videos in their posts and have a number of what I call 'sidebar features' for example, an events calender that shows upcoming events and lets you sign up for them, a mumble widget so you can see who is using mumble at that time and other widgets such as a donation widget, a clock, polls etc.

Rather than carry on using hosted websites I am looking to move our guild to my own domain and swap to phpbb if it will suit our needs. I have seen several very well done skins on themeforest.net that would give us a clean, modern look but really need to know whether or not our other needs will be met - or how much of a compromise we will have to make.

Thanks!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: phpBB modification

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 pm

yes, all of those things and more are available in phpbb as MODs ( modifications ) that you can install.

there are many free styles available as well as the premimum ones you saw at themeforest.

there is a convertor so you can keep all your users/posts etc. from the smf board.

you will need to be able to get a database backup from your hosted board and use that to convert to phpbb.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I don’t think his question was to ask if these mods are available, I think his question was to ask if mods are as easy to install in phpBB as he feels they are with SMF software.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:46 pm

well if that is the case, then the answer is the same.

robert

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:45 am

I don't understand how the answer could be the same since they are different questions, but whatever....

I am not certain of this, but I think SMF uses a "hooks system" of sorts to make modifications easier. It is my understanding a "hooks system" will be part of the newer version of phpBB when it comes out, but there is no way to know just when that will happen.

With my extremely limited knowledge of SMF software, I am certainly not the person to be giving advice on how it compares with phpBB. My thinking is, for what it is worth, if SMF does indeed have a "hooks system", then I would tend to think adding modifications would be easier than with phpBB, but I don't know that for a fact. Maybe someone who has first hand knowledge of SMF and phpBB can chime in and explain the ease of modification installations for both.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 am

the question was would those things be available in phpbb and would it be easy to install them as it was in smf.

the answer to both questions was yes.

modifications are very easy to install in phpbb if you use automod, even for beginners.

as long as you can read and follow pretty straight forward and simple instructions, then I don't see why installing any MOD with automod would be any harder once automod is installed.

and, if you can read and follow very simple instructions, installing automod is a couple of clicks and you are done.

however, you do have to know how to do the basic website things like how to use ftp and how to use a text editor some times etc.

those are things that anyone that wants to have and run a website should learn.

robert

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:35 am

Big-Jim wrote:I don't understand how the answer could be the same since they are different questions, but whatever....

I am not certain of this, but I think SMF uses a "hooks system" of sorts to make modifications easier. It is my understanding a "hooks system" will be part of the newer version of phpBB when it comes out, but there is no way to know just when that will happen.

With my extremely limited knowledge of SMF software, I am certainly not the person to be giving advice on how it compares with phpBB. My thinking is, for what it is worth, if SMF does indeed have a "hooks system", then I would tend to think adding modifications would be easier than with phpBB, but I don't know that for a fact. Maybe someone who has first hand knowledge of SMF and phpBB can chime in and explain the ease of modification installations for both.
I've had some experiences with SMF, so I'll do my best to give my input.

SMF basically has an installer of mods built in. It's pretty much the same as Automod, in my opinion. It's just already part of core, which is an advantage of SMF. Anyways, in some ways, however, installing SMF mods is easier...though I think it mostly depends on the mod you're installing. But otherwise, it's the same.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

maxjam

Post by maxjam » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I am asking is that my current hosts have a security issue with SMF - long story short they are a lot of hassle to set up and produce numerous error codes, phpBB forums however work perfectly.

I have a good understanding of smf forums and before I throw myself into learning how to set up phpBB forums I wondered how 'easy' they were to mod for someone with only self taught basic skills.

I have seen some nice skins on themeforest.net and wondered whether I could use those and mod them to our needs with an event calendar, clock, mumble widget, etc - again with limited experience. I have no knowledge of ftp but I have reasonable intelligence and am capable of following instructions!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

you will need to get and learn how to use a ftp program. this is a basic website maintenance skills that you will need. it is not hard at all. check out youtube for filezilla tutorials, very simple.

as much as I dislike "portals" for phpbb , you may be better off installing one of them.

they come with many , if not most, of all the things you just listed.

calendar, widgets, clock, etc. etc.

search here for portals.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”