Free mods vs paid mods in 2014

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Free mods vs paid mods in 2014

Post by PolRas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I have a piece of mind to share or you can discuss this too

2014 is almost knocking.Phpbb members,team,staff,guests,moderators all are reading this now.....

i want to speak about free mods then compare with paid ones not only in phpbb but globally....yes world wide.

as a rule of my thumb....i don't like talking too much....only few words..

Free mods are really nice and enjoyable to use but they have a limit...they kill authors !

Paid mods are really more nice and enjoyable too and while they might have a limit,,,,,they make authors think harder....an author will always want to update his mod to make it ''current or modern''

Am not saying we start seeing mods for sale.....or mods on sale....i don't want members to misinterpret my words....its only comparison.

i think phpbb must come out and allow the mod authors to start releasing mods in classes....what does that mean ?....well you ask .....Mod ''B'' to be in class i mean it has free features upto lets say 70% but when you want it to work for you in a 100% you need unlock its feature by ''digging into your pocket'' for a few bucks or dollars or euros or shekel or rupees....

This feature lets an author think harder and update his mod all the time.Phpbb has clever modders...tough ones...and believe me when you want this 30% feature to be unlocked, most authors charge something too small like 3,5,8,10,15 dollars,bucks.......this is what is happening at WordPress.com and joomla.com and their authors have produces so many mods that you can rarely miss whatever you want...

I think phpbb staff and team should think about this come 2014....Motivating our modders !

Trust me phpbb is growing & has grown widely with, i think , millions of board users but we lag somewhere behind when it comes to mods !!....imagine at phpbb we have only few dozens of mods while some of our competitors have what i think is hundreds of thousands of mods....

When you read this topic you might think i was paid by mod authors to speak on their behalf....i want to stress clearly that no one paid me....am contributing to this board with a good intention to see it grow more and more strong.

end of my line....

Jah bless all.

Cosmopolitan

Re: Free mods vs paid mods in 2014

Post by Cosmopolitan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi,

I fully agree.
For example I have a mod that I use and it is unbelievable how extremely useful it is but I would need it one more option on it that I am not able to get.

I am willing to pay for it but I do not the opportunity because that option is not offered in phpBB.

Your model for paying sounds interesting but some other models can be offered here such as ordering a personalized mod for a particular user. I am sure people would pay as this BB is widely used and plays very important role for many individuals and different kinds of organizations.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm

There is nothing preventing mod authors from charging for their use or support.

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Brf wrote:There is nothing preventing mod authors from charging for their use or support.
i suspected phpbb.com does prevent such.I recently posted an article requesting custom paid mod job only to find it instantly deleted.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:29 am

PolRas wrote:
Brf wrote:There is nothing preventing mod authors from charging for their use or support.
i suspected phpbb.com does prevent such.I recently posted an article requesting custom paid mod job only to find it instantly deleted.
that is against the rules.
if you want to pay someone for work you need to check out the signature files of those members you might be interested in hiring and send them a PM about it.

robert

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: if you want to pay someone for work you need to check out the signature files
robert
Maybe that is correct but i think that is hard job,one would be required to do,of looking after all those signature before finding the right author.

i think every author is somehow specialized and can mod certain mods only.

i was thinking its me who should tell all the modders,by writing on forum wall,that i want certain mod authored and then the right interested candidate would pm me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 am

PolRas wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: if you want to pay someone for work you need to check out the signature files
robert
Maybe that is correct but i think that is hard job,one would be required to do,of looking after all those signature before finding the right author.

i think every author is somehow specialized and can mod certain mods only.

i was thinking its me who should tell all the modders,by writing on forum wall,that i want certain mod authored and then the right interested candidate would pm me.
well that may be the way you think it should be done but that is not the way the staff here thinks it should be done.

the rules about soliciting for paid help or advertising your services have been in place for many years and I doubt they will be changed any time soon.

robert

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:31 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
well that may be the way you think it should be done but that is not the way the staff here thinks it should be done.
the rules about soliciting for paid help or advertising your services have been in place for many years and I doubt they will be changed any time soon.

robert
even the best constitution requires time to time adjustment.When you place rules now and expect the same rules to work for many years without adjustments,,,,you are wrong and you might end up making someone suffer.I have seen errors in phpbb.com rules but seems i can do nothing about it.

Sometimes i wonder how comes such a superior forum board is been in place for all those years yet the staff have locked their way away from opinion from its members that make their board grow more and more stronger ?

i once concluded maybe the rules you see here has a stamp of oath from judiciary that strictly will expire after 45 years.so nothing can be done for now.i decided to keep quite.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 am

some constitutions were right when they started and don't need to be changed.

this board software grew very quickly to being the most used bulletin board software in the world, free or paid.

it has remained that way for years. I would have to say that they must have got something right.

no, it will not please everyone. the rules or methods used here may not please you but they do seem to work just fine for millions of others around the world.

I think you should be happy that you can use it for free and get all of your many questions answered for free and not be making such bold claims as to how you think things should be run around here.

robert

p.s. I tried guys, I really did..... :twisted:

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 am

Once again, you are mistaking your role in this board. You are a customer of phpBB. You are not a "member".
The customers of a business have no say in that business's rules.

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:21 am

Brf wrote:Once again, you are mistaking your role in this board. You are a customer of phpBB. You are not a "member".
The customers of a business have no say in that business's rules.
would you please show me where in the entire phpbb.com the word ''customer'' is used....and am gonna award your wisdom [am gonna buy for you the whole of Asia continent].....a customer is someone who is intended to ''buy''....for which am not.

am a member....someone who has joined other group or groups to do something....for which am the one...

maybe you are a customer alone...me am not !

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:44 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:some constitutions were right when they started and don't need to be changed.
this board software grew very quickly to being the most used bulletin board software in the world, free or paid.
it has remained that way for years. I would have to say that they must have got something right.
99% of phpbb rules is correct...very deserving.Only a small error....even the world best things have errors in themselves.see this;

''..........various responsibilities of all community members here on phpBB.com. They have been compiled and are revised regularly by the phpBB Team and should be......'' the first three lines in rules page.They say they revise it regularly.They might have not seen the mistake i saw.
I think you should be happy that you can use it for free and get all of your many questions answered for free and not be making such bold claims as to how you think things should be run around here.
The best place to be in terms of forum board is......close your eyes....is....open your eyes...its phpbb. :lol:

Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:20 am

Of course we are not customers but members and if phpBB starts monetizing its products we will inevitably become potential customers.

We have to admit that phpBB team has been established a good and unique balance between the quality of products (phpBB platform by itself, mods, etc.) and services (support) on the one and "the price" (free of charge) on the other side. It is fine and is being respected by all the members and I am quite sure about it.

However, the members' voice is always good to hear, I am not saying to listen and obey, but only to hear. Maybe, even to write a list of the all ideas and from time to time to have a look at them as they can bring some innovations.

So lets try to be constructive and continue with this discussion in a way that would bring to us some different views of people about this topic. Nothing has to be done and we can try to think hypothetically.

Hypothetically, if monetizing starts many programmers can start neglecting to produce good quality mods for the community in order to test their knowledge and prove themselves in that way but to earn as much as they can which could lead to community destruction and loosing its sense.

What do the others think about this?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Of course you are a customer. A customer, by definition, is someone who uses a company's product. You are using phpBB and coming here for support. Therefore, you are a customer of phpBB.

PolRas
I've Been Banned!

Post by PolRas » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Cosmopolitan wrote:Of course we are not customers but members and if phpBB starts monetizing its products we will inevitably become potential customers.

We have to admit that phpBB team has been established a good and unique balance between the quality of products (phpBB platform by itself, mods, etc.) and services (support) on the one and "the price" (free of charge) on the other side. It is fine and is being respected by all the members and I am quite sure about it.

However, the members' voice is always good to hear, I am not saying to listen and obey, but only to hear. Maybe, even to write a list of the all ideas and from time to time to have a look at them as they can bring some innovations.

So lets try to be constructive and continue with this discussion in a way that would bring to us some different views of people about this topic. Nothing has to be done and we can try to think hypothetically.
trust me member Cosmopolitan....you can lecture the above 4 paragraphs in all over 250 universities of India for 2 years !.....yours is a great ideas..

phpbb has everything very organized by far when compared to other 22 forum boards globally.phpbb always rocks...!if there is a member who can disagree with this let him bet with me 2000 dollars and i can prove him wrong 1000 times.
[size=100]RASTAFARIAN LOVE, Lovers For All Justice, JUSTICE MUST BE DONE ![/size]

Return to “phpBB Discussion”