PHPBB3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
SightUp

PHPBB3

Post by SightUp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I see a ton of mods which is really nice but I am wondering how valid phpbb3 really is to the online community anymore with so many other options out there now days. Does phpbb3 still have a large portion of the community of communities that use forums? Or is it dying?

Ancient Viking

Re: PHPBB3

Post by Ancient Viking » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D

To answer your question about a dying phpBB community and the answer is a simple no it's not dying, because phpBB (probably the largest open source community out there) and myBB is open source (all mods is for free too except for a very few mods that requires *normal* support) forum software.
Last edited by Brf on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 am

I really doubt it could be considered to be "dying". as far as I know it is still the most widely used bulletin board software in the world ( free or paid ).

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 am

Coming to this site and asking if phpBB3 is dying is like going to a Honda dealer and asking if Honda vehicles are any good and are they going away.

SightUp

Post by SightUp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

I didn't mean any offense. I read a lot of reviews before making my choice. I did end up going with phpbb3 but a lot of review sites says that you have to be a master coder or something along those lines to get phpbb3 to do what you want it to do. I also asked the question because the buttons on here are just dated so I didn't know if it was still being supported. the Quote Code List and smilies, they just do not fit. I think the UI when posting should be updated to something a little more current looking.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:30 pm

SightUp wrote:I didn't mean any offense. I read a lot of reviews before making my choice. I did end up going with phpbb3 but a lot of review sites says that you have to be a master coder or something along those lines to get phpbb3 to do what you want it to do. I also asked the question because the buttons on here are just dated so I didn't know if it was still being supported. the Quote Code List and smilies, they just do not fit. I think the UI when posting should be updated to something a little more current looking.
then you obviously were reading reviews by people that did not know what they were talking about.

I saw no offense in your question. It was just based on false assumptions.
the Quote Code List and smilies, they just do not fit. I think the UI when posting should be updated to something a little more current looking
what would you suggest? "current looking" is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
they are just buttons, some of which are css , some of which are images etc.
there are many many styles available and if you don't like any of them you always have to option to create one yourself or hire someone to do it.

If you are expecting phpbb to look like one of your phone apps then keep in mind that the reason phone apps look the way they do is because they have to be restricted to working on devices that are much smaller and less capable than what a web based bulletin board software is designed for.

oh, and welcome to phpbb. I am sure you will find everything you need here to help you get your board just the way you want it.

robert

SightUp

Post by SightUp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:23 pm

I get to form an opinion? Will it actually matter? :)

Strictly, I am talking about the buttons right above the field where I am typing now. Have you seen some other forums like overclock.net's? It's clean, img's are used instead of text, and it belongs. Currently, it appears that they are just floating, different sizes, nonuniform. It's not very appealing.

Unless, is there a mod that I missed that does what I want? :D

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:34 pm

There are plenty of different styles besides the default proSilver.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

SightUp

Post by SightUp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:45 pm

That's a nice mod and it's better looking but it's still dated. It doesn't have a modern feeling. This all looks like Windows 2000 when I am working in Windows 8.1 and Droid.

pit-PL

Post by pit-PL » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:01 pm

phpBB is released under the GNU license so you are perfectly free to make it as beautiful as your Windows.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:00 pm

you certainly can have your opinion, just like everyone else.
however, remember, it is just your opinion, so that does not make it true or even close to anyone else's opinion ( which is also just as valid ).

I visit overclock.net all the time. I do not like their board layout or the way they use it. however, it is not because of the style, it is because of how they have it setup.

their style looks very old and outdated to me. I don't know how old you are or how long you have been online but their style is a lot like what phpbb was with a lot of the phpbb2 styles and even the current subsilver2 based styles.

see, in the eye of the beholder.

If you want something different in your style, change it.
IF you don't like phpbb because you think it is out of date or whatever, then don't use it. It is very simple.
Life is all about choices.

luck,
robert

SightUp

Post by SightUp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 pm

I do not mean any disrespect. It just seems like the buttons do not match something that would be considered 'modern' at all. Going off the theme of car metaphors it's like putting a line of a Bugatti, Ferrari, Gumpert, Agera R, Zenvo, and a Honda Si between the Ferrari and the Gumpert. While it's still a great little car, it doesn't belong.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:46 am

Keep in mind that "modern" is very subjective. While I wouldn't say that phpBB is up to date with the latest internet "fashion", seeing as this style was released in 2008 and has mostly remained unchanged, it's not entirely old. I do agree that many things could do with a bit of an overhaul, and do note that there are a few improvements coming in version 3.1. However, the majority of developers currently working on the core software (myself included) specialize in PHP but aren't great designers, so while it would be great to see a fresh style eventually, I'm not sure when that will happen.

Speaking of which, if you have any specific suggestions for improvements to the style (or any other features) please, post on our development board, area51. We appreciate the feedback.

And keep in mind in the short term that there are literally thousands of user-contributed styles you can find here and on other sites to give your board a more updated and modern look if prosilver just isn't cutting it for you.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 pm

SightUp wrote:I do not mean any disrespect. It just seems like the buttons do not match something that would be considered 'modern' at all. Going off the theme of car metaphors it's like putting a line of a Bugatti, Ferrari, Gumpert, Agera R, Zenvo, and a Honda Si between the Ferrari and the Gumpert. While it's still a great little car, it doesn't belong.
Have you looked at our upcoming version phpBB Ascraeus (3.1)? While the differences aren't radical or mind-altering they are noticeable and makes things look a bit more "modern" (subjectively speaking) especially if you're on a touch screen device.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”