[BETA]Q&A Registration Counter Measures Generator Software

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
BCFbuilderboy

Re: [BETA]Q&A Registration Counter Measures Generator Softwa

Post by BCFbuilderboy »

Edward572 wrote:
Admin activating your account is complete, try account now, so the QA worked...

Cheers,
Ed
Yes it is activated now Ed but only when I registered again using a different e-mail on thursday evening after making my last post here.
Again I was presented with the wrong answer error message using my original e-mail address but not with the different one, my usual e-mail has always worked (and still does) without problems on any other phpBB forum Captcha so why wouldn't it work with yours ?

Anyway, for now I will stick with the built in Q&A until I see this one validated.
Edward572
Name: Edward

Post by Edward572 »

Remember this is only a visual basic 2012 software written to create questions, this is not a plugin for your board to replace anything.

You run software while you make your QA question and answer. I have tried answers and they are a bit hard to read with the hide chararacter.

I'm still working on a easy and more complex QA, but as you seen in page 3, it can be defeated currently with 12 lines of php code reading info from your board ask, TOny. I think he registered with his script to my board and I got the test_example account.

This should still work on your boards as long as the bots don't know the code to read and break. I still using this on 5 boards with not pRoblems. But the forum that is in my signature, I currently testing sortable CAPTCHA, this is a actual plugin for Spambot Countermeasures. I am unsure how well it works, but easy for humans and maybe harder for bots.

Still working on next version of RegSpam Killer...
Cheers All, Have A Good One
StormerSoft.Com
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Hello,

Is the eventuality of this work to submit it for acceptance and validation to the MODDB?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

DavidIQ wrote:Hello,

Is the eventuality of this work to submit it for acceptance and validation to the MODDB?
Well I'm not sure how you would classify this, it's not PHP code, it can not be added as code since it is a Visual Basic program (EXE) that is just designed to randomly generate hard to solve for BOTS. And it makes it very easy to come up with question and correct answers, then paste them in to Q&A inside spam Bot countermeasures.
I guess it up to phpbb.com and it's staff, it's kind of outside the scope of the Mod db, but for me, once I have made the next final, you guys could bump it up to MODDB if it meets the proper criteria.

My concerns are I don't have the cash to pay for the digital signature, ($500/Year), so the file could look safe to the average user, instead of virus software crying that it's unknown software.
I would like to see it move up to MODDB, but as I have said above it kind of up to you Guys & Gals. Seems the current version is not that hard to defeat according to user TOny, anyhow need to add more Q&A to the software to make it harder to defeat.

It's up to you guys... Have a chat with your counterparts and see if this will ever meet the criteria and scope of the MODDB...

Cheers,
Ed
StormerSoft.Com
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

It probably won't with a .net/Windows requirement. Why wouldn't you just use PHP for this? Looking at the code you posted it doesn't seem like it would be a big leap to use full PHP instead of both.
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

Ya I need to learn PHP, VB2013 is old hat to me from like the 1980's original BASIC, I have no issue releasing the VB code if anyone wants to re-write it. Code for the current version below.
Version 1.0.1.10 Below --- VB2013 Code

Code: Select all

Public Class Form1
    Public CheckTextNUM(5), TL(10)
    Public r1, r2, q1, q2, checkNUM, Hidit As Single
    Public Quest, Answer, FA1, FA2, qu1, qu2, cool, FourQu(5), ProperStr(5), TS(10), AN(10) As String
    ' Private Property cool As String

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Randomize()
        r2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 50)

For x = 1 To r2
            cool = ""
            For t = 1 To 28
                r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)
                cool = cool + Chr(r1 + 48)
            Next t
        Next x

q1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 4) + 2
        q2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 4) + 2

If q1 = 1 Then qu1 = "one"
        If q1 = 2 Then qu1 = "two"
        If q1 = 3 Then qu1 = "three"
        If q1 = 4 Then qu1 = "four"
        If q1 = 5 Then qu1 = "five"
        If q1 = 6 Then qu1 = "six"

If q2 = 1 Then qu2 = "one"
        If q2 = 2 Then qu2 = "two"
        If q2 = 3 Then qu2 = "three"
        If q2 = 4 Then qu2 = "four"
        If q2 = 5 Then qu2 = "five"
        If q2 = 6 Then qu2 = "six"

' Quest = "With the exception of the last character (:), what are the first " & qu1 & " characters and last " & qu2 & " characters of " & cool

If CheckBox1.Checked = True Then Quest = "With the exception of the last character (:), what are the last " & qu2 & " characters and first " & qu1 & " characters of " & cool _
            Else Quest = "With the exception of the last character (:), what are the first " & qu1 & " characters and last " & qu2 & " characters of " & cool

FA1 = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Left(cool, q1) : FA2 = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Right(cool, q2)

If CheckBox1.Checked = True Then Answer = FA2 & FA1 Else Answer = FA1 & FA2

TextBox1.Text = Quest
        TextBox2.Text = Answer

End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox2_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox2.CheckedChanged
        Randomize()
        r2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 10)

For x = 1 To r2
            FourQu(1) = ""
            For t = 1 To Int(Rnd(1) * 4) + 4
                r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)
                If Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox20.Text Or Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox21.Text Then FourQu(1) = FourQu(1) + Chr(r1 + 48) Else t = t - 1
            Next t
        Next x
        TextBox3.Text = FourQu(1)
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox2_CheckStateChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox2.CheckStateChanged
        If CheckBox2.Checked = False Then TextBox3.Text = "" Else TextBox3.Text = FourQu(1)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox3_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox3.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox3_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox3.CheckedChanged
        Randomize()
        r2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 10)

For x = 1 To r2
            FourQu(2) = ""
                r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)
                If Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox20.Text Or Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox21.Text Then FourQu(2) = FourQu(2) + Chr(r1 + 48) Else t = t - 1
            Next t
        Next x
        TextBox4.Text = FourQu(2)
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox3_CheckStateChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox3.CheckStateChanged
        If CheckBox3.Checked = False Then TextBox4.Text = "" Else TextBox4.Text = FourQu(2)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox4_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox4.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox4_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox4.CheckedChanged
        Randomize()
        r2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 10)

For x = 1 To r2
            FourQu(3) = ""
                r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)
                If Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox20.Text Or Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox21.Text Then FourQu(3) = FourQu(3) + Chr(r1 + 48) Else t = t - 1
            Next t
        Next x
        TextBox5.Text = FourQu(3)
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox4_CheckStateChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox4.CheckStateChanged
        If CheckBox4.Checked = False Then TextBox5.Text = "" Else TextBox5.Text = FourQu(3)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox5_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox5.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox5_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox5.CheckedChanged
        Randomize()
        r2 = Int(Rnd(1) * 10)

For x = 1 To r2
            FourQu(4) = ""
                r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)
                If Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox20.Text Or Chr(r1 + 48) <> TextBox21.Text Then FourQu(4) = FourQu(4) + Chr(r1 + 48) Else t = t - 1
            Next t
        Next x
        TextBox6.Text = FourQu(4)

End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox5_CheckStateChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox5.CheckStateChanged
        If CheckBox5.Checked = False Then TextBox6.Text = "" Else TextBox6.Text = FourQu(4)
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox6_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox6.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Public Sub CHThemAll()

'       First Word
        CheckTextNUM(1) = Len(TextBox3.Text)

For t = 1 To CheckTextNUM(1)

If Mid(TextBox3.Text, t, 1) = TextBox20.Text Or Mid(TextBox3.Text, t, 1) = TextBox21.Text Then TextBox3.Text = "" : t = CheckTextNUM(1)

Next t
        '       Second Word
        CheckTextNUM(2) = Len(TextBox4.Text)

For t = 1 To CheckTextNUM(2)

If Mid(TextBox4.Text, t, 1) = TextBox20.Text Or Mid(TextBox4.Text, t, 1) = TextBox21.Text Then TextBox4.Text = "" : t = CheckTextNUM(2)

Next t
        '       Third Word
        CheckTextNUM(3) = Len(TextBox5.Text)

For t = 1 To CheckTextNUM(3)

If Mid(TextBox5.Text, t, 1) = TextBox20.Text Or Mid(TextBox5.Text, t, 1) = TextBox21.Text Then TextBox5.Text = "" : t = CheckTextNUM(3)

Next t
        '       Fourth Word
        CheckTextNUM(4) = Len(TextBox6.Text)

For t = 1 To CheckTextNUM(4)

If Mid(TextBox6.Text, t, 1) = TextBox20.Text Or Mid(TextBox6.Text, t, 1) = TextBox21.Text Then TextBox6.Text = "" : t = CheckTextNUM(4)

Next t

End Sub

Private Sub TextBox20_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox20.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Private Sub TextBox21_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox21.TextChanged
        CHThemAll()
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox6_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CheckBox6.CheckedChanged
        Randomize()

r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)

TextBox20.Text = Chr(r1 + 48)

r1 = Int(Rnd(1) * 77)

TextBox21.Text = Chr(r1 + 48)

CHThemAll()

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

' Arange the textbox's Start

For t = 3 To 6
            AN(t) = ""
        Next

TL(3) = Len(TextBox3.Text) : TS(3) = TextBox3.Text
        TL(4) = Len(TextBox4.Text) : TS(4) = TextBox4.Text
        TL(5) = Len(TextBox5.Text) : TS(5) = TextBox5.Text
        TL(6) = Len(TextBox6.Text) : TS(6) = TextBox6.Text

TS(1) = TextBox20.Text
        TS(2) = TextBox21.Text

' Arange the textbox's End

For t = 3 To 6

TL(10) = Int(Rnd(1) * 10) + 1
            If TL(10) <= 5 Then TL(10) = 1 Else TL(10) = 2

For x = 1 To TL(t)

Hidit = Int(Rnd(1) * 10) + 1
                If Hidit <= 5 Then Hidit = 1 Else Hidit = 2

If TL(10) = 1 Then AN(t) = AN(t) & Mid(TS(t), x, 1) & TS(Hidit) Else AN(t) = AN(t) & TS(Hidit) & Mid(TS(t), x, 1)

Next x

Next t

TextBox30.Text = AN(3) & "   " & AN(4) & "   " & AN(5) & "   " & AN(6) & "   " & "Please Disregard '" _
            & TS(1) & "', '" & TS(2) & "', and put the four words in order, use one space between each word in the answer."

TextBox31.Text = TS(3) & " " & TS(4) & " " & TS(5) & " " & TS(6)

End Sub
End Class
Cheers Fill your boots... I'm still going to work on this in VB2013 until I am satisfied with the results...
StormerSoft.Com
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote: Is the eventuality of this work to submit it for acceptance and validation to the MODDB?
Why bother making it a MOD? In the Area 51 discussion about making Q&A CAPTCHA the default, I suggested a random question generator built in to phpBB to provide some level of anti-spam protection even if the user didn't change the question.

There was more discussion of that proposal in the Stop distributing worthless CAPTCHAS in 3.1 RFC on Area 51.

I still think that it would be an interesting experiment.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:Why bother making it a MOD? In the Area 51 discussion about making Q&A CAPTCHA the default, I suggested a random question generator built in to phpBB to provide some level of anti-spam protection even if the user didn't change the question.
Because users are obviously having a SPAM problem now in 3.0. The Area51 discussions are really only applicable to 3.1.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Why bother making it a MOD? In the Area 51 discussion about making Q&A CAPTCHA the default, I suggested a random question generator built in to phpBB to provide some level of anti-spam protection even if the user didn't change the question.
Because users are obviously having a SPAM problem now in 3.0. The Area51 discussions are really only applicable to 3.1.
Nothing precludes the developers from adding it to phpBB 3.0.x (other than their own policy of not adding any new function, of course). I just linked that topic at Area 51 as a reference to the discussion about the idea.

phpBB 3.0.x should get rid of the "bad" CAPTCHAs and just have Q&A (and maybe ReCAPTCHA). Why ship CAPTCHAs that we know are broken? The problem is that Q&A requires some configuration, but with my random question generator, that wouldn't strictly be necessary (although changing it would be good when bots adapted to break the questions).

Another thing that my random question generator does is generate the question at registration time. That way no human could store the answer to the question in a bot's database and allow other bots to register. The chances that they'd get the exact same question would be vanishingly small.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

Still working on new version, changing up the Q&A making it harder for the bot to answer the question based on the Answer in the question.

Need to change up the font size just for the question to make it easier to read.
StormerSoft.Com
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

Edward572 wrote:Still working on new version, changing up the Q&A making it harder for the bot to answer the question based on the Answer in the question.

Need to change up the font size just for the question to make it easier to read.
Version 1.0.2.0 Release, See first Post.
StormerSoft.Com
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

Version 1.0.2.10 Release, on 13 Jan 14.
Bump, more question variations, used on a few forums for 2 months with no spam.

:D :D :D
StormerSoft.Com
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Is the source code for the .net app available somewhere?
Edward572

Post by Edward572 »

DavidIQ wrote:Is the source code for the .net app available somewhere?
forum.stormersoft.com

Latest Code...
StormerSoft.Com
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

That makes it a tad difficult to work with and possibly convert over to PHP. Instead of posting the .vb file contents you should probably zip up the solution folder with all related files and attach that there.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”