Quote that advice the quoted user

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Quote that advice the quoted user

Post by peopleopinion »

What about to change just a little bit the behavior for the Quote function as following:
once the post is submitted the board advises the quoted user that someone had quoted him/her.
So the quoted one can respond to the interlocutor as soon as possible.
It is some kind of automatic function similar to "Subscribe topic" but the differences are:

"Subscribe topic" function sends an advice by email if a new post is submitted into the whole topic the user is following.
My "Advise me if someone quoted me" function sends an advice only if someone quoted me...

[Well... it was pretty clear ;) ]

Could be the admin to choose to allow this board behavior on the basis of permission and of course it has to be the user to activate for him/her self that function and choose which topics and how it works: activate or not the email notifications for example or just to have a list of quotes into the board itself.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Re: Quote that notifies the quoted user

Post by peopleopinion »

Could be present one further option that allows the user to activate or not some kind of "automatic management" of such notifications. It means that every time a user is quoted everywhere in the board he/she receives a notify of it, even if the user has not specifically subscribed that topic.
Last edited by peopleopinion on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

Re: Quote that advice the quoted user

Post by Master_Cylinder »

That seems rather redundant, if the user wanted notifications they could subscribe to the topic...and it's already been suggested.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

Master_Cylinder wrote:That seems rather redundant, if the user wanted notifications they could subscribe to the topic...and it's already been suggested.
Some user (me either) want just be notified if they are quoted...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:That seems rather redundant, if the user wanted notifications they could subscribe to the topic...and it's already been suggested.
And if someone write something at the attention of a certain user, quoting it, but the user forgot to bookmark or subscribe that specific topic?
As you know subscribing and bookmarking is not automatic when a user respond to a topic but implies an action of the user itself. Also a user that subscribed and bookmarked a topic sees that there are new responses even if he is not directly quoted in the response. In this scenario "quote that notify the quoted user" is an "intermediate" and more correct feature to achieve this aim because the user is noticed only if he is cited / quoted directly. So it appears to me like an optimization of the board.
Last edited by peopleopinion on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Quote that gives advices?
peopleopinion

Re: Quote that notify the quoted user

Post by peopleopinion »

brunoais wrote:Quote that gives advices?
Well... yep... in practice if a user quotes another a message (email or just PM will be a user or admin choice) is send to the quoted user so he is notified that some one is talking with and the quoted / notified user could respond as soon as possible.
Last edited by peopleopinion on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

1. You seem to misunderstand the term "advice".
  2. It's not that easy to recognize quotes in the first place (it would require to parse the whole posting to find QUOTE tags and then extract the quotation reference - if any at all - and then make sure it's not a nested quote) - and even then you're aware that the quotation reference can be of any text?
  3. How are quote notifications signaled and reset? Once per topic until that topic is visited?
  4. When should quote notifications trigger at all? Only when submitting a new post or also when a post is edited?
  5. What about quotes in PMs? Or signatures?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Master_Cylinder

C'mon people, obviously English isn't his first language and he meant notify.

Other than that, Amigo is right, it's very complicated and prone to bugs, not to mention superfluous imho.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

It's not that easy to recognize quotes in the first place (it would require to parse the whole posting to find QUOTE tags and then extract the quotation reference
A simple reagular expression - no big deal
make sure it's not a nested quote
dito, you just parse the first level
then you're aware that the quotation reference can be of any text?
Just a 1:1 match (maybe case insensitive) to the username not a big thing
When should quote notifications trigger at all? Only when submitting a new post or also when a post is edited?
How are quote notifications signaled and reset? Once per topic until that topic is visited?
Just call the method in posting.php if a new post is done.
What about quotes in PMs? Or signatures?
Signatures and PMs are nonsense. No need to notify here...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Eh... Then I'm against it.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

AmigoJack wrote: You seem to misunderstand the term "advice".
AJ,
Ops :oops: You're right. I'm sorry: I meant "notify", thank you for notifying me, I corrected my mistake.
But I cannot correct the original idea post but I corrected every other post...
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Master_Cylinder

No, he wants a notification if he's "quoted" not the silly twitter @user thing. I still think it's unneeded, since any user that wants to be notified if they're quoted will subscribe to all topics that he/she posts in by default.

I like the quoted one better than the twit one any day. I find @user annoying outside of twitter.
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Return to “phpBB Ideas”