Prevent posting two times in a row

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Prevent posting two times in a row

Post by peopleopinion »

What about to implement a new configurable feature to prevent the same user posting two times one immediately after the previous?
In other words if a user has just posted in a topic, is prevented to post another time immediately after the previous post. If (s)he wants to add other thoughts (s)he must modify the post (s)he just posted. This will prevent double posts and prevent the need to merge them and is pretty easy to implement.
Mightbe this will help a bit to prevent flooding the same topic.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Prevent posting two times in a row

Post by KevC »

There is already a flood limit in the post settings to stop that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Kevin Clark wrote:There is already a flood limit in the post settings to stop that.
KC,
Correct, but the main aim of this idea is not prevent flooding: that is a secondary benefit. The main one is to prevent double posting for same user.

At Automatically merge double posts there is the idea to merge double post but in here D@ave advanced the idea to prevent two times posting. So I splitted the idea and posted it as separate one hoping to do a good new proposal to improve board usability. I also liked the proposal.

See the original post:
D@ve wrote:PS: Would be much better to have an option in the permissions to prevent posting two times in a row...

a) easier to implement
b) no problems with character limit
c) much "cleaner" solution

regards Dave
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

peopleopinion wrote:The main one is to prevent double posting for same user.
Why is that a problem?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Why is that a problem?
It's not a problem for me and my boards...
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Why is that a problem?
Probably because it goes on to 3, 4 or 5 more bumps and before you know it, the member is having a bump fest without letting others respond. :)
Master_Cylinder

Peter77sx wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
Why is that a problem?
Probably because it goes on to 3, 4 or 5 more bumps and before you know it, the member is having a bump fest without letting others respond. :)
As I said in another topic, I don't care if they post 10 times in a row as long as the post/topic is relevant and useful. You can set rules for bumping posts. Even if User-A is a bump-a-holic how does that prevent User-B from posting?
Master_Cylinder

(double post on purpose :D )

What if the topic is "soup recipes" and UserA is a chef and everyone else opens a can? UserA posts a recipe and can't post another because nobody else posted one?
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Peter77sx wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
Why is that a problem?
As I said in another topic, I don't care if they post 10 times in a row as long as the post/topic is relevant and useful. You can set rules for bumping posts. Even if User-A is a bump-a-holic how does that prevent User-B from posting?

I'm not sure to understand exactly what you mean, sorry for this. But I'll try to respond how I have understood starting from your words "10 times":

I don't like situations like the following in my board:
WhyMergingPosts0.png
WhyMergingPosts0.png (25.45 KiB) Viewed 201 times
I absolutely prefer situations like the following:
WhyMergingPosts1.png
WhyMergingPosts1.png (3.55 KiB) Viewed 201 times
[Of course in the images I used standard repetitive text, just for the example]

As well as everyone can see every situation represents 10 posts: the second situation where posts are merged is much more readable and pretty easy to handle. Nevertheless the second one is a better and more elegant and professional solution imho.
So imho if the option to activate the merge post feature is present into the ACP every admin can use or not as needed. If it is not present nobody can use even if needed...

Because the topic are related I gave the same response here too:
viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189746&p=13531171#p13531171
Master_Cylinder

I know you don't understand.

Merging multiple posts, just because they're in a row, is not a good idea. There may be cases where merging is appropriate but there are also cases where it is not. That's why it shouldn't be automatic and that's why it should be an extension instead. I *would* support a moderator option, in the core, to manually merge posts but not an automatic one.

I posted a recipe example in the *THIS* topic.

If you're going to copy/paste the same reply, so will I...
Master_Cylinder

I'll ask again, in a different way...

Why is:
UserA
UserA
UserB

worse than:
UserA
UserB
UserA

?

Why should UserA need to wait for UserB to post before being able to post again?
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I'll ask again, in a different way...

Why is:
UserA
UserA
UserB

worse than:
UserA
UserB
UserA

?

Why should UserA need to wait for UserB to post before being able to post again?
Did you see my previous post [viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2223506&p=13531206#p13531181]?
Master_Cylinder

Yes, I replied to it...twice. :roll:

That doesn't answer *why* it's bad.
A
A
B

or
A
B
A

It's all the same content. Why merge AAB but not ABA?

There *are* times where multiple posts are better than more confusing merged posts. It's better to just add a quick-mod tool option to merge posts rather than blocking them, even when appropriate.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Yes, I replied to it...twice. :roll:

There *are* times where multiple posts are better than more confusing merged posts. It's better to just add a quick-mod tool option to merge posts rather than blocking them, even when appropriate.

Autoquote:
peopleopinion wrote: As well as everyone can see every situation represents 10 posts: the second situation where posts are merged is much more readable and pretty easy to handle. Nevertheless the second one is a better and more elegant and professional solution imho.
So imho if the option to activate the merge post feature is present into the ACP every admin can use or not as needed. If it is not present nobody can use even if needed...
I also would like to add that the second solution is more compact too.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Yes, I replied to it...twice. :roll:

Autoquote:
peopleopinion wrote: As well as everyone can see every situation represents 10 posts: the second situation where posts are merged is much more readable and pretty easy to handle. Nevertheless the second one is a better and more elegant and professional solution imho.
I also would like to add that the second solution is more compact too.
How does compact make it better if it's MORE confusing? Merging 2 posts can make the one post *harder* to read. What if the two posts are both near the character limits of one post? I know you think your ideas are good but...you really need to think most of them through better.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”