Color groups in ACP

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Color groups in ACP

Post by Jessica »

In Users and Groups > Manage Groups, the groups should be colored.

There's a mod for this but it should be part of core.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: Color groups in ACP

Post by Crizzo »

You can color the groups and their members, what will be new with this change?
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

She is referring to the group names in the ACP, which are not colored.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

Well I wonder whether we should add a background, if the font color is too bright.
Otherwise it might be hard to spot in the ACP.
No Support via PM
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

+1 for this
Because with colors groups will be better represented in board too, as well as and consistently as in the legend showed in the attached image:
Attachments
Colored Groups.PNG
Colored Groups.PNG (14.68 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Last edited by peopleopinion on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

peopleopinion wrote:+1 for this
peopleopinion's signature wrote:Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to understand better each one's point of view.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I don't see where this one helps or hurts so I'm neutral on this one...
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't see where this one helps or hurts so I'm neutral on this one...
Let me try to explicate one useful use of this eventual feature:

For example it will be possible to see "at a glance" what are permissions of the group. For example if you set permissions from red (cannot write or use any feature) and green (can write and use all features) will be possible to have a color code defined by admin that represents some kind of "status" of a group and users inside it. And "at a glance", altogether in one page, will be possible to understand what permissions or privileges everyone has...
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't see where this one helps or hurts so I'm neutral on this one...

For example it will be possible to see "at a glance" what are permissions of the group. For example if you set permissions from red (cannot write or use any feature) and green (can write and use all features) will be possible to have a color code defined by admin that represents some kind of "status" of a group and users inside it. And "at a glance", altogether in one page, will be possible to understand what permissions or privileges everyone has...
That's a horrible use of groups and colors... :roll:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:

That's a horrible use of groups and colors... :roll:
Might be you are right but imho it is the same motivation of why colored users are used as well as in the following attachment:
Attachments
Colored Groups.png
Colored Groups.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Master_Cylinder

They differentiate colors for groups so users can easily tell them apart, this isn't *needed* in the ACP since the admin who made the groups knows the difference. It's purely cosmetic. That's why I'm neutral. It's fluff but it probably wouldn't add much bloat to the code. I don't care if they add or or they don't.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

A propos: Jessica you launched the idea what are your needs about?
You just asked for it but without explicating a bit of "why"... I'm just curious. Would you like to clarify your opinion please?
Master_Cylinder

She did explain. Go to Users and Groups > Manage Groups and she thinks the colors should be displayed like they are on the index. It's purely cosmetic since it's the ACP...as I already explained to you.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:She did explain. Go to Users and Groups > Manage Groups and she thinks the colors should be displayed like they are on the index. It's purely cosmetic since it's the ACP...as I already explained to you.

Maybe it is pure cosmetic as you said but it facilitate the recognition of groups imho.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:She did explain. Go to Users and Groups > Manage Groups and she thinks the colors should be displayed like they are on the index. It's purely cosmetic since it's the ACP...as I already explained to you.

Maybe it is pure cosmetic as you said but it facilitate the recognition of groups imho.
Have you LOOKED in the ACP > Users and Groups > Manage groups? The word is "Administrators." How would making THAT a certain color help you know that it's the Administrator group? it facilitates nothing except the desire to make it match the username colors. If you need that page to be color coded to recognize what group it is, then color alone won't be enough. :lol:

Do you even run a forum? :roll:

Return to “phpBB Ideas”