Install.xml will not open on Mac

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Install.xml will not open on Mac

Post by DragonMaster1 »

I find that the newer mods that have an install.xml and modx.prosilver.en.xsl in the folder will not open in a mac browser. This is odd since most all of my old mods are also lie this and have no problem opening.

How can I view these install directions do do the code installs now?

Thanks in Advance!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Install.xml will not open on Mac

Post by KevC »

I sometimes find they open in safari but not firefox and vice versa but I haven't come across any that don't show correctly.

Which MOD are you looking at. I'll try it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

My old ones all pen in Safari but now the new ones don't unless I open it with BBEdit and make a new .xml file in Dreamweaver and change the header code to this and open it in the same folder as the other files....as you know:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="modx.prosilver.en.xsl"?>
<!--For security purposes, please check: http
://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the latest version of this MOD. Although MODs are checked before being allowed in the MODs Database there is no guarantee that there are no security problems within the MOD. No support will be given for MODs not found within the MODs Database which can be found at http://www.phpbb.com/mods/-->
<mod xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.phpbb.com/mods/xml/modx-1.2.3.xsd">
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

OH....that is Ajax Chat
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You mean the one from here circa 2006?
http://www.ajaxchat.org/Download/
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Are you unzipping the MOD package first before trying to read in the install.xml file?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

Yes I was referring to the old file, it was the first one I just tried for an example.

And OF COURSE unzipping it first as how could it do anything otherwise?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

DragonMaster1 wrote:Yes I was referring to the old file, it was the first one I just tried for an example.

And OF COURSE unzipping it first as how could it do anything otherwise?
you could be trying to read the file while it is still zipped.

don't know about MAC zip programs but everyone I ever tried opens the file in a window to ask you where you want to unzip it to. from that window you can double click on any file in the zip and try to open it.

often it does not work because the zip program does not know what program to open the file with.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

Clicking a Mac zip creates a folder next to it the the uncompressed items in it
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

same thing they do for pcs. can you double click on one of the files listed in that folder and try to open it?

that is what he was referring to.

also, you need to set your file associations so that xml files open in whatever program you want them to.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

Apparent you have NO Mac experience.

Clicking them opens with their default application unless you set it otherwise. The default is Xcode but then you can drag and drop it on the Safari dock icon and it opens as a BLANK screen which is exactly what I was writing in about. And not ALL do that only some. But I know how to open then as I said in my first post by changing the header. BUT....doing THAT more then a couple times is a BIG PITA and it should NOT have to be done. Dragging to Safari OR setting Safari as their default app SHOULD open them where they CAN be read but not all of them do this. So what is the problem there and HOW can it be fixed OTHER than having to keep changing the header????
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

DragonMaster1 wrote:Yes I was referring to the old file, it was the first one I just tried for an example.
That particular MOD does not have any xml files in it. In that instance, you would have to ask the author about installation.

Do you have an example of a normal MOD from here that has an xml that won't open so I can try it?
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

This was one I downloaded several years ago and that filer just happened to be open and YES IT DID have install.xml files in it

Besides that point many of the current ones which I didn't feel like going through then ALSO have install.xml files of which about half of then open when dragged to Safari with a BLANK SCREEN and THAT was what I was writing about.

So how do others get these open PROPERLY and WITHOUT having to manually change their header?
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

As Kevin Clark said, can you please provide an example of a file that won't open?

Just a link to a MOD you've downloaded and can't open would be fine - just something that we can try for ourselves as a number of us use Macs and we can try and replicate this issue.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 »

This is STUPID....

You KNOW as well as I that this is a major problem as there are numerous complaints about it

SO...I went to the Mods Database and picked the 1st ADD ON that is there: Zodiac_Signs_1_0_3.zip

DOES NOT OPEN if dragged to Safari

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”