[BETA] phpBB3-Knowledgebase

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
sinamics

Re: [BETA] phpBB3-Knowledgebase

Post by sinamics »

Hi

I would like the features to attach pictures when exporting the post as doc or pdf!

Sin
sinamics

Post by sinamics »

--SOLVED--

Hi

is it possible to show new Knowledge topics in the portal3 board(recent post)?
Any help is much appreciated. :)

Sinamics
sinamics

Post by sinamics »

Hi

Is it possible to add the (This article is an answer to this request) when editing posts?
It is not possible to select this when editing.

Lets say i forget to choose this when creating a new post, then i cant change this after.
Very annoying,

Sinamics

---SOLVED---

Changes in /includes/kb.php

line 2269

Code: Select all

if($auth->acl_get('u_kb_add_wa', $this->cat_id) && $this->mode == 'add' || $this->mode == 'edit')

line 2421

if($this->mode == 'add' || $this->mode == 'edit') 
		{
			$options = make_req_select();
		}

line 2522:

'S_REQUEST_OPTIONS'			=> ($this->mode == 'edit' || $this->mode == 'add') ? $options : '',

Sinamics
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

How about adding the ability to import from a blog or other website, including the pictures? I often write articles on my WordPress sites that would also make good KB content for my forums.
Master_Cylinder

*sigh*

With the last update over a year ago and the author not posting here for months it's looking like this one is abandoned too... :(
kazkotx

Post by kazkotx »

The current "author" isnt the original and hasnt done much with it. I would recommend that another with some free time or perhaps a group takes this project on. Regardless, it is working fine for me as is. If you want modifications, I recommend rolling them yourself or directing your efforts toward finding this project a new home.

It's a good project. I like how it integrates and displays and simplifies much better than MediaWiki does as an example. Knowledgebase is a good description for it, unfortunately I think it gets lost in the noise of the Internet as a project title. I do wonder if a renaming would also be good for the project. Perhaps a "phpbb group document management system" is more in tune with what it is and how it works. And based on that, I wonder if there is other stuff out there more current and better written at this point?

I havent had much time myself to mess with it other than creating documents for my own sites. One thing that will ring true to most of you is that adding this to your forum does not suddenly populate it with data. In fact, very few users will ever contribute which may even make the concept rather moot. But if your board is very busy, you may have enough of a slice of people willing to create documents.
Master_Cylinder

Yeah, I noticed that he took it over too but if he's planning on updating it that's fine....but it's been a while. I just suggested a new import feature, it was likely to be rejected anyway. That really isn't the issue.

I'm sure that it does work, for now. I just don't want to invest much time installing and adding content only to have it be worthless down the line because nobody updates it. I'm not a programmer so I have to be a little more careful what I add to my servers than others might be.

I think the name is fine, most people know what a knowledge base is or they used to at least. ;) I'm willing to add the content but I like that members can submit content too. I just don't want waste my time if the MOD is never going to be updated and becomes incompatible with future versions. We already know that 3.1 is giving us a new Extensions system, will this be updated for that? Based on what we've seen in the last year, I'm not so sure. He was at least posting here until last November and he has been on the phpBB forums, just not on this topic. I don't know if that's a good sign or bad though.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

You may want to see what t_backoff done, it doesn't have as many features but it more upto date and work :)

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2219616
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Master_Cylinder

I've checked it out (I was bugging her about it before she even had a demo ;) ) and if this one is abandoned I might *have* to go that route. Her stuff is usually updated and that's a big plus but I do like the design of this one better...and the extra features. Her solution just looks like another forum to me, this one looks like a KB. Time will tell...
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Her solution just looks like another forum to me, this one looks like a KB. Time will tell...
Slightly off-topic, the reason my MOD doesn't have as many features or design changes is to keep it in line with the KB powering phpbb.com. A few design changes have been made, but the overall functionality and general layout are the same.

I did test this MOD out, but didn't like it as I felt it was too complex for my needs. That's why I decided to start my own. I do plan on finishing it, but have no desire to add all the features this one has or design the UI to look like this one. The only thing I would consider adding is attachments, but every time I've tried, I've failed. If someone is willing to add it, I'll credit them and include it in my MOD.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Master_Cylinder

I wasn't expecting nor requesting that you make your MOD like this one, we were just talking about the differences. ;)
eric90066

Post by eric90066 »

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can help me. I tried installing this mod, but upon completion I was greeted with a white page. I go to my home page, I can see the link has appeared, but when I click on it, I get "Knowledge Base isn't enabled at the moment please come back later!"

Is there an error log somewhere? Where do I enable this mod?

Thanks.
Master_Cylinder

Most MODs are enabled in the ACP. Either in the .MODs tab or in another section. If you used automod to install it there are often instructions in the "details" link for that MOD.

I haven't installed it since it might be abandoned, so that's just a guess...
eric90066

Post by eric90066 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Most MODs are enabled in the ACP. Either in the .MODs tab or in another section. If you used automod to install it there are often instructions in the "details" link for that MOD.
Automod. I almost forgot about that. I always do it manually -- ie the hard way.
Master_Cylinder wrote: I haven't installed it since it might be abandoned, so that's just a guess...
I am concerned that this is going to be abandoned, but it really is an elegant mod and exactly what I need since I'm not looking for a lot of feature rich functions.

In addition, there appears to be an issue with the page loading after log in. One of the function.php scripts I think.

Great work Pertneer!! Hope you come back!
Master_Cylinder

eric90066 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Most MODs are enabled in the ACP. Either in the .MODs tab or in another section. If you used automod to install it there are often instructions in the "details" link for that MOD.
Automod. I almost forgot about that. I always do it manually -- ie the hard way.
Many MODs have a post-install php file that has to be run, did you do that?

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”