+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Master_Cylinder

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Most karma/reputation systems included both up and down voting, facebook had to dumb it down... :roll:
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

D@ve wrote:a) Facebook is the market leader concerning in social community.
Facebook is an advertising company. People share and they sell. The relationship is parasitic. The host rarely realizes it's being fed upon.

From Time magazine...

How Facebook Is Redefining Privacy
By Dan Fletcher Thursday, May 20, 2010
http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 82,00.html
Helping bring about world peace would be nice, but Facebook is not a philanthropic organization. It's a business, and there's a tremendous business opportunity around Facebook's member data. And Sandberg knows it. She joined the company in 2008 after helping Google build its ad platform into a multibillion-dollar business. Much like Google, Facebook is free to users but makes a lot of money (some analysts estimate the privately held company will generate $1 billion in revenues in 2010) from its robust ad system. According to the Web-research firm comScore, Facebook flashed more than 176 billion banner ads at users in the first three months of this year — more than any other site. (See "Facebook Wants to Read Your Mind.")

The more updates Facebook gets you to share and the more preferences it entreats you to make public, the more data it's able to pool for advertisers. Google spearheaded targeted advertisements, but it knows what you're interested in only on the basis of what you query in its search engine and, if you have a Gmail account, what topics you're e-mailing about. Facebook is amassing a much more well-rounded picture. And having those Like buttons clicked 100 million times a day gives the company 100 million more data points to package and sell.

The result is that advertisers are able to target you on an even more granular level. For example, right now the ads popping up on my Facebook page are for Iron Man 2 games and no-fee apartments in New York City (I'm in a demographic that moves frequently); my mom is getting ads for in-store furniture sales (she's in a demographic that buys sofas).

This advertising platform is even more powerful now that the site can factor in your friends' preferences. If three of your friends click a Like button for, say, Domino's Pizza, you might soon find an ad on your Facebook page that has their names and a suggestion that maybe you should try Domino's too. Peer-pressure advertising! Sandberg and other Facebook execs understand the value of context in selling a product, and few contexts are more powerful than friendship. "Marketers have known this for a really long time. I'm much more likely to do something that's recommended by a friend," Sandberg says.

As powerful as each piece of Facebook's strategy is, the company isn't forcing its users to drink the Kool-Aid. It's just serving up nice cold glasses, and we're gulping it down. The friends, the connections, the likes — those are all produced by us. Facebook is the ultimate enabler. It's enabling us to give it a cornucopia of information about ourselves. It's a brilliant model, and Facebook, through its skill at weaving the site into the fabric of modern life, has made it work better than anyone else.
Last edited by Floyd on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Entropy is maintenance free.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Most karma/reputation systems included both up and down voting, facebook had to dumb it down... :roll:
I suppose it's been around at least as long as the Roman Colosseum, but they probably adopted the system from some prior implementation.

Still, facebook's like buttons have nothing to do with whether or not the lions should be fed, or whether or not you approve of or agree with some post, they're all about advertising.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

Facebook is an advertising company. People share and they sell. The relationship is parasitic.
...so what???
Despite the fact that it is not wrong to make money... Just because Facebook is evil we have to avoid everything they do???
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

Just because it's popular doesn't mean we have to do everything that they do nor the way that they do it either.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Just because it's popular doesn't mean we have to do everything that they do nor the way that they do it either.
I disagree... If a feature is popular, people usually expect it... And >I< want to have a software that is up to date keeps up with the time.

Regards, Dave
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

D@ve wrote:If a feature is popular, people usually expect it
That doesn't necessarily mean they want it. Think of ribbons (MS Office since v12 and Windows since v6.2), tiles (MS Windows since v6.2) and Cloud computing/storage.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

That doesn't necessarily mean they want it.
No, thats right... But if they expect things and they don't get it, they will go elsewhere...
Think of ribbons
Good example... I hated these nasty thingies... But since I needed new the Office Version I was getting used to it...
Now I expect them. And have serious problems if they are missing...

Gruß, Dave
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

D@ve wrote:
That doesn't necessarily mean they want it.
No, thats right... But if they expect things and they don't get it, they will go elsewhere...
That makes no sense at all - why would the "go elsewhere" to get something the don't want?

Can we keep the discussion too idea at hand? Potential positives/negatives and thoughts on implementation? Thanks!
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Having "like" buttons could lead to people making posts solely to compete for likes rather than making meaningful contributions to a discussion.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Floyd wrote:Having "like" buttons could lead to people making posts solely to compete for likes rather than making meaningful contributions to a discussion.
a) to get likes, you normaly HAVE to write meaningfull posts

b) It will prevent a lot of posts like...
foo wrote:+1
bar wrote:fullack
foo bar wrote:like
Master_Cylinder

Have you *seen* the nonsense that gets liked on fb? Forums are no different, people will click for plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with a meaningful post.

A "like" is no better than +1 posts...neither really add much to the conversation.

Regardless, if there is going to be an upvote there should be a downvote too. Admins should be able to pick how/if they want it.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Have you *seen* the nonsense that gets liked on fb?
Have you seen the nonsense that gets posted on some forums??? So lets get rid of the forums... ;-)
Master_Cylinder

My point was that posts don't have to be meaningful, thanks for agreeing. :D
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

I see that here, in phpbb ideas forum, is present a "like and dislike" system. But post aren't less meaningful for this. IMHO a similar system has to be present by default, as standard, in the core for more reason. For example it helps to recapitulate in just two data into one row, pages and pages of people opinions. So IMHO is a tool very very useful.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”