Permissions Question 3.12

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
mitekcomputers

Permissions Question 3.12

Post by mitekcomputers » Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of changing forum software from SMF 2.XX to PHPBB 3.12 due to numerous issues we have been having with SMF over the past few months. We are not converting databases or anything of that nature but we do have around 25,000 members with about 25% of those active. A large forum to say the least.

Anyway heres what I would like to accomplish.

I am trying to set permissions for a Newly Registered User to have read access to one category (announcements and rules) and then access to post at least once in our Introductions section BEFORE they can become regular members.

I would like to require the first post they create have X number of characters. As a newly registered member I would like them to ONLY have access to these two sections and have nothing else available to them at all.

Once they have created a post that falls within our requirements, I would like them either automatically or with admin manually setting them to a regular membership status after they create their required introduction post.

I would rather they automatically become regular members, BUT if it requires administrative approval that would work as well. Thats what mods/admins are for..right?

So basically I want new members to only be able to see the two categories, read only in one, with post access in the other using X number of characters. Once they meet teh requirements they then auto or through admin intervention become regular members where all forums are open to them etc.

Is this possible and if so how? I have worked with SMF and VBulletin for years BUT permissions in PHPBB are much different than in either of those and quite confusing at times.

So I am starting clean with a new clean board and I just want to make sure everything is perfect before we take it live...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mike/Mitek Computers

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Permissions Question 3.12

Post by stevemaury » Thu May 22, 2014 7:59 pm

The first part is easy. Set the forum permissions for can see forum to Never for the NRU group for all forums except the two you want the intro post in. Set the new member post limit in Registration settings to however many posts you want them to have and after that number, they will automagically become regular members.

As for the minimum number of characters, you would have to change that for the entire board. BUT by default, NRU group has a Never permission for Can post without approval, so you can just not approve posts that do not meet whatever minimum character requirement you impose.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

mitekcomputers

Post by mitekcomputers » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 pm

stevemaury wrote:The first part is easy. Set the forum permissions for can see forum to Never for the NRU group for all forums except the two you want the intro post in. Set the new member post limit in Registration settings to however many posts you want them to have and after that number, they will automagically become regular members.

As for the minimum number of characters, you would have to change that for the entire board. BUT by default, NRU group has a Never permission for Can post without approval, so you can just not approve posts that do not meet whatever minimum character requirement you impose.
Wanted to say Thanks for the help. It was exactly what I needed. Its just teh permissions in this forum software is SO much more complicated than SMF. I am a certified systems engineer, and as bad as Windows Server permissions are for groups and users, PHPBB has it beat by a mile as far as complexity goes.

Has a LOT of good points BUT a couple of bad points. Heck I may be over thinking it, that goes without saying, but compared to all the other forum software I have used like SMF, VB etc, they are a piece of cake when it comes to permissions whereas you can REALLY drill down in PHPBB...which is a good thing to an extent.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated.

Mike

I could see permission sets being tough for new users that arent familiar with this type of software

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu May 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Not really complicated. Try this - phpBB3 Permissions
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Anuj Dhawan

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri May 23, 2014 2:24 pm

mitekcomputers wrote: I am a certified systems engineer, and as bad as Windows Server permissions are for groups and users, PHPBB has it beat by a mile as far as complexity goes.
To a certain extent I agree with you - I'm an IT Solution Architect and while setting up my first board I was thinking like you.

And then one fine day -- in the middle of the night, I'd ask my girl -"If I set it to Never for Robert will he be able to post in that part of the Forum or it's a No!". With a weird look she replied that "Never" is "Never" but "No" can not make other "No" as "Yes"!

And I *think* that solved the mystery to a certain extent -- remember, phpBB was first developed to help 'His wife'... IMHO! :D
Thanks,

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”