Bitcoin MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
durangod

Bitcoin MOD

Post by durangod » Sat May 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Bitcoin is not going away, it is widely supported and tons of transactions every day. Even with all the 100's of other internet currency trying to build a market, bitcoin still stands on its own, and although it still needs some work it stands the best chance of being (at least one) of the worlds first widely accepted internet currencies.

It would be nice to have a MOD that would allow a phpBB site to process bitcoin payments. I personally use coinbase for my other processing, they seem to have a decent API and so it would also be nice to be able to have the MOD work with https://coinbase.com/ as well. You can read about bitcoin at
https://bitcoin.org/en/

So a phpBB site should be able to acccept both, paypal and bitcoin. So this would have to work in conjunction (along side) with any paypal MOD as well.

UPDATE: I also wanted to add that the API is not bad at all, i have it on my WHMCS. There is a free WHMCS addon module you can download which you can use as an example of the API call and callback. I also have pulled some data as well to test. So as far as the API end of it, if you need help i can help with some of what you need. You will also need to account for the API key, secret key, as well as some other items on the initial call.
Last edited by durangod on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Allow phpBB to accept Bitcoin

Post by Brf » Sat May 31, 2014 4:04 pm

PhpBB is a bulletin board forum software, not a site software. There is nothing in the core software for accepting any type of payment. Therefore, there is nothing to "allow". If you were to write a mod for selling something, I would assume you would include some sort of way to accept the payments.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sat May 31, 2014 7:23 pm

I don't accept fake money but you can if you want. ;)

durangod

Post by durangod » Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't accept fake money but you can if you want. ;)
If you already accept USD then you already accept the same kind of currency. It is called fiat money http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money President Carter took the USD off of gold related value back during his presidency. And investors have been trading bitcoin for a long time now.

So the only real difference between USD and bitcoin is the fact that people trust and rely on USD and accept it as the norm. Both currencies are based on trust, otherwise there is no real difference (other than one it tangible and one is not). Also you can already convert bitcoin to USD and deposit into your bank account. 1 Bitcoin is worth about $621.00 and it can be used for payment down to 5 decimal places i believe. So if you want to pay for example .50 USD that would be 0.00080 BTC http://bitcoinexchangerate.org/c/BTC-USD/.50

Once bitcoin is popular enough and wide spread enough to be accepted and trusted by the masses, it will be just as accepted as the USD and just as valued.

@brf

Yes i understand to be politically correct its a bulletin board software and not a site, a play on words i guess but to me its the same. There are several paypal mods in the mod section. If phpBB users had no interest in accepting payments for whatever reason then there would be no need for those mods. And im sure many boards out there use the paypal or other mod to accept donations, financial gifts or any other politically correct way you wish to call it.

What i am suggesting is that bitcoin is already an accepted form of payment for many around the world and it is only getting larger and more valued every day and it would be nice to have a MOD that would allow accepting bitcon payments also for however and for whatever purpose those boards already accept payments from other currency values.

Also this is a MOD request. Im not asking for the "out of the box" phpBB to do this. And it is not a MOD request that everybody will use, which makes it no differnent than any other MOD. I do believe it will be
poplular MOD in time and i do believe that the idea does deserve and has its place in the MOD section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... tes_dollar have a look at that and scroll down to the section on Fiat Standard. "Today, like the currency of most nations, the dollar is fiat money, unbacked by any physical asset."

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:32 am

durangod wrote: Also this is a MOD request. Im not asking for the "out of the box" phpBB to do this.
My point is that there is no point in having phpBB "accept" a payment with there being nothing to buy with it. You would already have to have some sort of mod to sell something first.

If you already have a mod to sell something, then it would be up to that mod's author to have it accept whatever payment.

durangod

Post by durangod » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:43 am

OK that i do understand from that angle that since phpbb has no products then having it accept payments would not be logical.

How about if i change the title to "bitcoin MOD" since there seems to be some hangup on the actual words "phpBB accept" . A bitcoin MOD would be used to accept bitcoin payment from someone who wanted to give a donation or give a financial gift via their phpBB board account.

Is that better? :)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Bitcoin MOD

Post by Brf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:47 am

So you are looking for a "Donation by Bitcoin" mod.
That seems perfectly acceptable to me 8-)

durangod

Post by durangod » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:01 am

yes sir... :)

durangod

Post by durangod » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:57 am

I also thought i might add this, here are some bitcoin official logos if you need them https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Promotional_graphics

I wish i could do this but with my medical issues i just cant promise i would finish it any time soon.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”