After upgrade to 3.0.12 I am being Moderated

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sifudean

After upgrade to 3.0.12 I am being Moderated

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

This is doing my head in. After the upgrade to 3.0.12 my account is now being moderated. I am the founder / Site Admin / SU, but only I am being moderated. So after I post i have to go in and approve my own post. And i can't see anything that could be causing it.

Any ideas?

Regards,

D.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: After upgrade to 3.0.12 I am being Moderated

Post by Oyabun1 »

Prior to phpBB 3.0.12, if a user had the can approve posts permission for a forum then they did not require the can post without approval permission in order to be able to post in it without post approval, but that has now been changed.

Make sure the moderators are in at least one group that has the can post without approval permission for each forum and that they are not in a group, such as the Newly Registered Users group, that specifically disallows that permission.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but it didn't help me in this case as it appears the only account being moderated is mine and according to all my permissions, I have Full Access.

I am the founder and the only administrator of the phpBB forum and the only moderator and I have to approve even post I make when I am replying to the registered users who can post without moderation.

There is something I have to be missing.

Regards,

D.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Oyabun1 wrote:Make sure the moderators are in at least one group that has the can post without approval permission for each forum and that they are not in a group, such as the Newly Registered Users group, that specifically disallows that permission.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

I know you keep quoting that text as if its the answer but in this case it doesn't appear to apply. Any other ideas?

Being the Admin / founder with full rights and being the only moderated user on the forum is seriously giving me the sh*t's now. I shouldn't have upgraded is my general feeling.

Regards,

D.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Please run the forum-based Permissions mask on your user name and post a screenshot of the trace.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Please run the forum-based Permissions mask on your user name and post a screenshot of the trace.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

I viewed the Forum based permissions (no need to post them here) and can see that I am being moderated - that annoying setting is set to never. But only on all the pre-upgrade forum sections / topics. The three new sections / topics I added after the upgrade are ok and can post without any moderation.

So I tried to change the setting but nothing I do appears to alter the setting and I have tried every option under the permissions menu to see if it changed and nothing ever does.

Could this be a dB issue or a record that hasn't been created or updated from the upgrade since it is only the pre-existing topics that are effected this way?

Unless there is a secret method to changing the "can post without moderating" permission for pre-existing topics I guess I am stuffed and will have to continue approving every post I do when helping users out.

Regards,

D.
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

Posted again as its still an issue for me....

I viewed the Forum based permissions (no need to post them here) and can see that I am being moderated - that annoying setting is set to never. But only on all the pre-upgrade forum sections / topics. The three new sections / topics I added after the upgrade are ok and can post without any moderation.

So I tried to change the setting but nothing I do appears to alter the setting and I have tried every option under the permissions menu to see if it changed and nothing ever does.

Could this be a dB issue or a record that hasn't been created or updated from the upgrade since it is only the pre-existing topics that are effected this way?

Unless there is a secret method to changing the "can post without moderating" permission for pre-existing topics I guess I am stuffed and will have to continue approving every post I do when helping users out.

Regards,

D.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

Please post a screenshot for us so we can see what you're seeing, thanks! Not the forum permissions, but the permissions mask that traces where each permission comes from. Without more information, we just aren't able to give any further answers as to why this might be happening.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

Ok here is the screen shot of the results of viewing forum based permissions for my account. Note that the next few sections down under the example I have expanded is ALL GREEN - These working items were created after the upgrade to the latest verison.
Forum permissions.png
Forum permissions.png (105.95 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
And nothing I have tried has changed anything permissions wise around this issue - All the sections that existed prior to the upgrade have my account moderated and I can see why but that does't help. so explain to me how seeing the same thing as I have been describing in my posts as a screen shot solves this issue?

Sorry but i had to block any view of the topics as they are unreleased devices that will come in the future.

At the present rate of posts and doubling up to approve my own posts, I expect to last 3 more months before I either look at downgrading, other options or killing off the forum as it stands...it's that annoying...

Cheers,

D.
Татьяна5
Name: Tatiana

Post by Татьяна5 »

sifudean
Click on the icon Image next to the "Can post without approval - Never"
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

On the left of the line with the red box is a O-> icon.

Click that.

The next screen will show you exactly the group where you're being stopped from posting.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
sifudean

Post by sifudean »

Hi,

Thanks for that tip - Based on what you guys said I found the issue is that the Global Moderators group has the "On Moderation Queue" limitation on all the pre-existing forum sections. New sections that I had created after the upgrade to 3.0.12 all have the setting of "Standard Access" and those are the ones that i can post in without moderation.

As my account is a member of the Global Moderators group it is effecting the outcome of the permissions table.

What appears to be another issue is you can't do a global replace / update of permissions. In fact as I have read in other issues posted here, there are issues with doing more then 5 section permission updates at once. This appears to be correct as the updates never work if there are more then 5 set to be changed.

So I have just removed my user account from the Global Moderators group which appears to have fixed the issue.

But can anyone explain how the setting issue in the Global Moderators group over ruled the fact that my account was the Administrator? Shouldn't the rule be highest denominator rules?

Also having the issue with the permissions functionality that appears to show that we should be able to update every forum section at once but if you select more then a couple it fails to apply without error or notification is another problem that needs work. Or at least a note / text update to warn the admin of the limitation.

Thanks for the help guys. I will report if it stuffs up again or if I find other issues.

Regards,

D.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

sifudean wrote:I found the issue is that the Global Moderators group has the "On Moderation Queue" limitation on all the pre-existing forum sections.
That's what the first reply to this topic pointed out.
sifudean wrote: What appears to be another issue is you can't do a global replace / update of permissions. In fact as I have read in other issues posted here, there are issues with doing more then 5 section permission updates at once. This appears to be correct as the updates never work if there are more then 5 set to be changed.
If permissions for several forums are the same you can use the copy permissions option.
sifudean wrote: But can anyone explain how the setting issue in the Global Moderators group over ruled the fact that my account was the Administrator? Shouldn't the rule be highest denominator rules?
Having admin permissions and having moderator permissions have nothing to do with each other.

Having admin permissions just lets you in to the admin control panel. It doesn't mean you can moderate anything on the board. That comes from having mod permissions.
sifudean wrote:Also having the issue with the permissions functionality that appears to show that we should be able to update every forum section at once but if you select more then a couple it fails to apply without error or notification is another problem that needs work. Or at least a note / text update to warn the admin of the limitation.
It's often server dependent so it doesn't know it's going to happen until you try it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”