Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC1 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC1 released

Post by naderman »

Please use this topic to discuss the announcement phpBB 3.1.0-RC1 released.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman
Pavlov
Name: Jorge Barros

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC1 released

Post by Pavlov »

nickvergessen wrote:The downloads are available on the Area51 downloads page.
The downlods page is already updated? :?:

Edit: Sorry, my bad. When I sent the message was not yet ...
Last edited by Pavlov on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

If you click on that link, it takes you directly to all the various downloads.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Korkel
Name: Liz Aalderink

Post by Korkel »

Great work keep it up!
"If you lose your left arm, your right arm will be left."
“The most important property of a program is whether it accomplishes the intention of its user.”
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

:thumbsup:
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

could you please provide information on what kind of support should people who install this version expect?

will there be an upgrade path from RCx to final version?
will RCx forums receive similar support to what 3.0 users get?
what do you think of people using RCx with live forums?

thanks a bunch,
peace.
PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas »

arod-1 wrote:could you please provide information on what kind of support should people who install this version expect?

will there be an upgrade path from RCx to final version?
will RCx forums receive similar support to what 3.0 users get?
what do you think of people using RCx with live forums?

thanks a bunch,
peace.
edit: read the other comments for more detail ;).
Last edited by PayBas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

So I am not sure of the answer to this, and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. My host is running php 5.3.28, and I know the requirement is 5.3.3 for php. But, I also know that not all companies do updates in the same way, so is 5.3.28 a higher release than 5.3.3 or a lower release? Did they add the 8 to a 5.3.2 release or is 5.3.28 like the sequential number counting up from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4 to 5.3.5 .... 5.3.28?

Thanks for your help.

Phil
Neuropass

Post by Neuropass »

Why there two redirects to discuss the same thing?

Questions:
1.s there any plan to support the STK?

2.Seeing as automod is obsolete and will not be supported for phpBB3.1 what is the replacement? The extension management built in in the ACP? If so, how do you install the extensions? Drop the folders where?

3.Any plan to have the extensions maintained by the official phpBB team to be downloadable and installable directly from ACP?

4. Any idea about How many RC releases are planned before the official release? I red that there was a plan to release something for the summer? ( I cant find the reference anymore)

5. Regarding this: ( The authentication system is now capable of supporting OAuth based login mechanisms, such as Facebook Connect or Google+ Logins) Can we have a better explanation about how things work? any active topics regarding this?

6. Regarding Twig. http://twig.sensiolabs.org/ is there any example on how you would use it in custom templates?

7. Is there an available list of extension the team is working on? This would be useful to avoid author on working on maybe an extension the team is already working on

8. Is a rewrite urls supported in phpBB3.1 ?

9. Better clarity regarding the people that are part of the team would be great and this was already asked.. when you read a post from a registered user that is actually part of the team is kinda puzzling and you dont know if it is a proper post. For example who's "Oleg" ?

10. Is there a demo package that simulate a simple extension with UCP and ACP modules etc? soemthing you can then build upon and expand for custom extension? Yes I guess a "quick start" package.

Thanks!
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Just updated my board to it. Nice work.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Neuropass wrote:Why there two redirects to discuss the same thing?

Questions:
2.Seeing as automod is obsolete and will not be supported for phpBB3.1 what is the replacement? The extension management built in in the ACP? If so, how do you install the extensions? Drop the folders where?
you put them in a a directory specified by the extension author in ext/
3.Any plan to have the extensions maintained by the official phpBB team to be downloadable and installable directly from ACP?
I don't think that is planned for 3.1.
4. Any idea about How many RC releases are planned before the official release? I red that there was a plan to release something for the summer? ( I cant find the reference anymore)
When it is stable a final version is released. There is no planned amount of RCs.

5. Regarding this: ( The authentication system is now capable of supporting OAuth based login mechanisms, such as Facebook Connect or Google+ Logins) Can we have a better explanation about how things work? any active topics regarding this?
Iam sure there will be documentation for it when the final is released

6. Regarding Twig. http://twig.sensiolabs.org/ is there any example on how you would use it in custom templates?
What kind of example would you want?

7. Is there an available list of extension the team is working on? This would be useful to avoid author on working on maybe an extension the team is already working on
Currently the extensions in development by the extension development team are posted in extensions in dev, posted by Exreaction. He mentions in the first post it is a team project

8. Is a rewrite urls supported in phpBB3.1 ?
You would need a extension
9. Better clarity regarding the people that are part of the team would be great and this was already asked.. when you read a post from a registered user that is actually part of the team is kinda puzzling and you dont know if it is a proper post. For example who's "Oleg" ?
Teammembers have a rank here at phpBB.com. Oleg is a former team member, which you can also notice by his rank below his avatar.
10. Is there a demo package that simulate a simple extension with UCP and ACP modules etc? soemthing you can then build upon and expand for custom extension? Yes I guess a "quick start" package.
Iam not sure if there is a full example yet, but there are some stickies in extensions in development to show how everything works.
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

philwojo wrote:So I am not sure of the answer to this, and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. My host is running php 5.3.28, and I know the requirement is 5.3.3 for php. But, I also know that not all companies do updates in the same way, so is 5.3.28 a higher release than 5.3.3 or a lower release? Did they add the 8 to a 5.3.2 release or is 5.3.28 like the sequential number counting up from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4 to 5.3.5 .... 5.3.28?

Thanks for your help.

Phil
5.3.28 a higher release than 5.3.3
Neuropass wrote: 1.s there any plan to support the STK?
I think that a tool like the STK will be available at a moment yes.
Neuropass wrote: 2.Seeing as automod is obsolete and will not be supported for phpBB3.1 what is the replacement? The extension management built in in the ACP? If so, how do you install the extensions? Drop the folders where?
You can see the extension management as a replacement for automod yes. And to install the extension you have to do what is said in the readme of some extensions :
Installation
1) Download the latest release and unzip it.
2) Copy the entire contents from the unzipped folder to phpBB/ext/vse/similartopics/.
3) Navigate in the ACP to Customise -> Manage extensions.
4) Find Precise Similar Topics under "Disabled Extensions" and click Enable.
Neuropass wrote: 3.Any plan to have the extensions maintained by the official phpBB team to be downloadable and installable directly from ACP?
I don't think so
Neuropass wrote: 4. Any idea about How many RC releases are planned before the official release? I red that there was a plan to release something for the summer? ( I cant find the reference anymore)
Like for the beta, as many as necessary
Neuropass wrote: 6. Regarding Twig. http://twig.sensiolabs.org/ is there any example on how you would use it in custom templates?
The old syntax (<!-- IF --> etc...) is still available. But you can also use the Twig syntax (and you can use the both in the same template file) you have nothing to do for that.
Neuropass wrote: 7. Is there an available list of extension the team is working on? This would be useful to avoid author on working on maybe an extension the team is already working on
I don't think so, but i guess that all of them are presented in the [3.1.x] Extensions in Development section
Neuropass wrote: 8. Is a rewrite urls supported in phpBB3.1 ?
No, you need an extension for that.
Neuropass wrote: 10. Is there a demo package that simulate a simple extension with UCP and ACP modules etc? soemthing you can then build upon and expand for custom extension? Yes I guess a "quick start" package.
You can find a lot of examples in the [3.1.x] Extensions in Development. There is also a "phpbb-ext-acme-demo" but i am not sure that is ready yet.

EDIT: Paul was faster :'(
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

There is also a "How to convert a phpBB 3.0 MOD into a phpBB 3.1 Extension" which explains most of the stuff related to mods/extensions:
https://github.com/nickvergessen/howto- ... phpbb31ext

And yes, Acme/Demo still works
No Support via PM
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Paul wrote:
Neuropass wrote:Why there two redirects to discuss the same thing?

Questions:
Currently the extensions in development by the extension development team are posted in extensions in dev, posted by Exreaction. He mentions in the first post it is a team project
At this moment in time we are working on: We are likely to make more and when 3.1 goes stable (Meaning 3.1.0 is released) there will be information on the website about the official extensions.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Korkel
Name: Liz Aalderink

Post by Korkel »

Seems great Micheal.

I need to update my PHP. How long keeps 3.0.x supported?
"If you lose your left arm, your right arm will be left."
“The most important property of a program is whether it accomplishes the intention of its user.”

Return to “phpBB Discussion”