[DEV] Birthday Control

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Satanasov
Name: Stanislav Atanasov

[DEV] Birthday Control

Post by Satanasov »

phpBB Birthday Control

Description:
A phpBB 3.1/3.2 extension that gives you control over registration age of the user.

Features:
Global:
- age showing in memberlist view
- Use version checking
ACP:
- Option to globally allow age restriction
- Selectable age restriction for registration
- Show Age in Profile
- Allow users to control showing age in profile
- Show Age in postrow
- Allow users to control showing age in postrow

UCP:
- Show Age in profile
- Show Age in postrow

Register:
- Add Birthday field on agreements page
- Add Birthday field on registration page

BETA
Version 1.0.0

Repository:
https://github.com/lucifer4o/birthdaycontrol

Please report bugs in GitHub so I can track them.

This extension will not work out of the box for SQLite3. Please contact me if you want to use it with SQLite3 DBMS.
Last edited by Satanasov on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
For list of all my extensions go to https://github.com/satanasov
If you want custom functions in some of my products - PM me and we will discuss it.
noth

Re: [DEV] Birthday Control

Post by noth »

so for example if a person was aged under 18 and your site was an 'Over 18' site the person registering would be refused via this extension?

any screenshots would be appreciated :ugeek:
Satanasov

Post by Satanasov »

Screenshots ... when I complete it ...

It's still work in progress
If you want custom functions in some of my products - PM me and we will discuss it.
Methen

Post by Methen »

No offense, but I know I would never join a forum that shows my age, that's this a violation of privacy...
Somebody is asking for a Hinne Whooping!!!
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Methen wrote:No offense, but I know I would never join a forum that shows my age, that's this a violation of privacy...
This extension allows you to hide the age in your profile and mini profile.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Satanasov

Post by Satanasov »

No offense but it depends of the kind of forum you are joining. And you have to know that age is shown even now, when ACP option Age is enabled.
NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

I'll be keen to use this extension, I run a Forum where an age limit should be enforced. I use the "Prime Birthday" mod at the moment but I'll use this on my test 3.1 version and will definitely use it when fully released. A very useful mod for websites in and around the modelling industry as an example
david63

Post by david63 »

This issue of "enforcing" the entry of a birthday to restrict access has been discussed many times and on its own is unenforceable. Unless there is some form of verification then a member can enter any date of birth that they want - irrespective of what it may say in the registration agreements and/or forum rules.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Satanasov

Post by Satanasov »

@David63 - this is true, but ... what this extension does is to comply with the age restriction required by law. The site admin is restricting the age because the board is intended for ... 18+ let's say. There needs to be restriction by age. However it is a breach of persons confidentiality to request age verification such as drivers license or passport if you are not licensed as Operator of Confidential Data. This is how the law stands in my country.

And I have to oblige - I have to restrict access to my profile ... but I am not required to verify if the user tells the truth.
NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

The having the age set to 18 and forcing the user to enter a date is to cover the admin of the board. If the user then lies and enters a birthday to him/her older then that is the user's responsibility. The admin of a board can only do what he/she can.

So having the age restriction as an option is great, after all people can lie on Facebook to enter an 18+ group or to even join up to Facebook and Twitter (Don't you have to be 15 to join up?)

The fact that people can lie and join anyway shouldn't be a reason to not use this mod
david63

Post by david63 »

I was not suggesting that this mod/extension should not be used but making the point that it is not something that is a panacea to control users of a forum and is, in principle, no different than activating the COPPA option.

The issue of trying to control access to anything on the Internet by age is a far wider issue than can ever be resolved by ticking a box/entering a date/pressing a button and it is only a matter of time before there is a legal challenge of such activities somewhere in the world.

Having said that I do not know what the answer is.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
MrC
Name: Ivo

Post by MrC »

Getting this error when i try to enable the extension.
Something went wrong during the request and an exception was thrown. The changes made before the error occurred were reversed to the best of our abilities, but you should check the board for errors.

MIGRATION_INVALID_DATA_CUSTOM_NOT_CALLABLE

Return to the extension list
Using RC1
Satanasov

Post by Satanasov »

In development
WARNING: Extension depends on https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2675
I'm waiting the PR to be merged. This allows extensions to create language entries for custom profile fields ... and to clean after itself.

I think I will be done with this today ... then I will create separate release without this PR so you can test it.
Satanasov

Post by Satanasov »

@MrC - here you can find the pre PR release.

https://github.com/lucifer4o/birthdayco ... ee/pre2675

Please test it and tell me for any problem you may find.
MrC
Name: Ivo

Post by MrC »

it's installed, quick test

In UCP - Profile
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/profilefields/type/type_bool.php on line 210: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/profilefields/type/type_bool.php on line 210: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5018: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3744)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5020: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3744)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5021: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3744)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5022: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3744)

Return to “Extensions in Development”