Which database type do you prefer?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Profo

Which database type do you prefer?

Post by Profo »

I've always used MySQL with phpBB. I love MySQL. It's the database type I learned first, it's fast, the one I know better, and the one available on every server.
I think this also applies to ¿90%? of phpBB forums out there.

But lately I've been wondering if there would be a real advantage in learning and using another database type with phpBB, so I decided to ask here.
For example: Would I increase forum performance by using SQLite? Would searches be more accurate with a different database engine?

I googled a little bit, but didn't find any phpbb-focused comparison, so any experiences would be helpful.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Which database type do you prefer?

Post by EXreaction »

Until you get a large number of simultaneous users, what is used won't really matter.

MySQL or PostgreSQL are probably the best options.

There is not much to learn by using a different database system, unless you're intending on becoming a DBA. For simple applications like phpBB, the database doesn't really matter and they all function roughly the same.

The database starts really mattering when you are managing many GB or TB of data or need to handle thousands or millions of requests a second.
umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal »

I've read on many sites recommendations to use MariaDB to be lighter and faster than MySQL.
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

umarizal wrote:I've read on many sites recommendations to use MariaDB to be lighter and faster than MySQL.
Yup. If you have the opportunity to choose MariaDB instead of MySQL, there are no downsides to doing so.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

my host just switched over recently and I didn't even know about it. did not have to make any changes for any of my boards etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”