[ABD] Cookie Policy

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
david63

[ABD] Cookie Policy

Post by david63 »

phpbb3-extension-cookiepolicy

Description:
Adds an option for the user to accept the use of cookies, under EU Cookie Directive (2012), on the forum

Features:
  • Option for all users to accept Cookie Policy
  • Option for only EU users to accept Cookie Policy
  • Option to renew acceptance after 12 months
  • Option to show the Cookie policy page only
  • Ability to customise colours

Requirements:
phpBB 3.1.2 or later

Installation:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Copy the entire contents from the unzipped folder to root/ext/
  • Navigate in the ACP to Customise -> Manage extensions.
  • Find Cookie policy under "Disabled Extensions" and click Enable.
Repository:
https://github.com/david63/david63-cookiepolicy

Author notes:
This extension adds a feature for accepting the EU Cookie Policy directive (2012) to the board.
Last edited by david63 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
david63

Re: [BETA] Cookie Policy

Post by david63 »

This extension has the options to use some "artificial intelligence" to check on whether the user is from an EU state. This however will never be 100% accurate due to many factors.

The extension uses the IP lookup at http://www.ip-api.com for its information. This lookup is free for non commercial use and has a limit of 240 lookups per minute from an IP address - I could only envisage this being a problem if the board was being heavily spammed.

There are four config settings (found under cookies):
  • Cookie policy = No : Cookie policy not used
  • Cookie policy = Yes : Policy to be accepted for all users
  • Cookie policy = Yes + Detect if cookie is not required = Yes : This will try to detect if the user is not from an EU country and will not display the cookie acceptance box for them but will display it for all others.
  • Cookie policy = No + Detect if cookie is required = Yes : This will try to detect if the user is from an EU country but disable the policy for all other users.
I would be interested in feedback from both EU and non EU countries.
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Pico88
Name: Lukasz

Post by Pico88 »

You don't need to load additonal jQuery library. https://github.com/david63/cookiepolicy ... pt.html#L1
Please do not PM me for support.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

You also do not need the effectively_installed() or depends_on() functions in your migration.

Think of it this way:

Do any existing databases out there already have the config setting cookiepolicy_version version 1.1.0? If not you don't need effectively_installed(). This function is mostly intended for migrations that may be implementing DB changes that may already exist from a previous MOD or extension.

Does adding your 6 config vars really depend on phpBB's beta3 migration? Normally, adding configs does not depend on any previous migrations. Depends on should only be needed if the migration file truly has a dependency one one or more other migrations.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
david63

Post by david63 »

Pico88 wrote:You don't need to load additonal jQuery library. https://github.com/david63/cookiepolicy ... pt.html#L1
Agreed - don't know where that file came from - now removed
David

david63

Post by david63 »

VSE wrote:You also do not need the effectively_installed() or depends_on() functions in your migration
Thanks - now removed
David

Pico88
Name: Lukasz

Post by Pico88 »

After some testing I will suggest to create page for cookies privacy using routing and set cookies privacy link in the footer navbar.
Please do not PM me for support.
watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl »

Just downloaded and installed this extention, I found the information I needed in the composer.json. But it might be a idea to add a instillation instruction in the first post like:

Code: Select all

Copy the entire contents from the unzipped folder to [c]phpBB/ext/david63/cookiepolicy/[/c]

And maybe a small how to use guide, like where we can find the ACP module, if there is one :? Because I don't see anything at this point.

Edit

Just found it under Server Configuration >> Cookie settings

Edit

Okay sorry for all the edits, I just checked it out and it looks useful. I was wondering, can it be used without the pop-up box in the right corner? So that we can only use that option on the main page with the information about the cookies?

Personally, I would only use the information page to educate my users. Because if I am not mistaken, I don't have to ask to accept cookies. That because I don't have advertisement or I don't sell things, my might be wrong but I thought that regular forums are free of this rule...
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations
david63

Post by david63 »

The ability to add notes/comments in composer is something that is being looked into. I am aware of those issues.
watisnf.nl wrote:Personally, I would only use the information page to educate my users. Because if I am not mistaken, I don't have to ask to accept cookies. That because I don't have advertisement or I don't sell things, my might be wrong but I thought that regular forums are free of this rule...
I admit that I do not know the precise details for all EU countries and in your case you may be right but my understanding is, for all EU countries, that if the site uses cookies in any way whatsoever then you have to ask for the user's permission to store them.
David

watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl »

david63 wrote:The ability to add notes/comments in composer is something that is being looked into. I am aware of those issues.
I was talking about your first post here on phpbb.com, it would be nice to have some installation instructions there. So people don't have to figure it out themselves, not everyone knows how to install a extension ;)
david63 wrote: I admit that I do not know the precise details for all EU countries and in your case you may be right but my understanding is, for all EU countries, that if the site uses cookies in any way whatsoever then you have to ask for the user's permission to store them.
I didn't want make it a discussion. Let me change my question, I would like to disable the "accept cookie" function and stick with the information "drop down thing" that goes with it. I figured out that I can't do that with the current configuration, but would you like to consider that function?
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations
david63

Post by david63 »

watisnf.nl wrote:I was talking about your first post here on phpbb.com, it would be nice to have some installation instructions there. So people don't have to figure it out themselves, not everyone knows how to install a extension ;)
Fair point but extension packaging guidelines have not been published yet and extensions are only for testing. When it comes to the stage when extension are released I feel pretty sure that this will be taken care of.
watisnf.nl wrote:I didn't want make it a discussion. Let me change my question, I would like to disable the "accept cookie" function and stick with the information "drop down thing" that goes with it. I figured out that I can't do that with the current configuration, but would you like to consider that function?
I can look at having an option to leave the policy drop down available but the accept cookie is the whole point of the EU directive and certainly UK legislation.
David

david63

Post by david63 »

Added option to retain the Cookie policy panel at the bottom of the index page

(Need to re download)
David

noth

Post by noth »

Nice one David, I would certainly like this for my forums as I am in the EU

although there is still doubt over whether phpBB forums actually come under the EU Cookie Directive (2012) that you quote

nevertheless, as phpBB3 certainly does use cookies I think it would be the responsible thing to do, so thanks for producing this extension, Great Idea!!
martti

Post by martti »

noth wrote:as phpBB3 certainly does use cookies I think it would be the responsible thing to do, so thanks for producing this extension, Great Idea!!
Cookies that are necessary for the basic working of a site are out of the scope of the EU cookie law. The law applies to storage on the client (could be cookies, Flash cookies, html5 local storage) that tracks the user and is intrusive to the user's privacy. For normal phpbb sessions I would certainly not notify the users, but if you use e.i. Google Analytics, yes.
draky
Name: Gilles W.

Post by draky »

Have a demo site ?
To test my country :) (France)
Andt test others with Tor :)

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”