[CDB] [Official Ext] Board Rules Extension

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: [BETA] Board Rules Extension

Post by EXreaction »

I'm not sure that's possible dynamically, I'm not familiar enough with the symfony routing system. You would be able to change it by editing code though. In the config/routing.yml file, you can edit the route to whatever you'd like.
Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Post by Stoker 4.0 »

EXreaction wrote:I'm not sure that's possible dynamically, I'm not familiar enough with the symfony routing system. You would be able to change it by editing code though. In the config/routing.yml file, you can edit the route to whatever you'd like.
Thanks, seems to be working fine :)
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Editing the route is a bad idea though, because you will lose your changes every time you update.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Post by Stoker 4.0 »

VSE wrote:Editing the route is a bad idea though, because you will lose your changes every time you update.
Nothing is perfect. Its only a single edit and that okay with me.
Dont espect to update the mod that many times.
watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl »

I'm working on the Dutch translation, you can see the progress and download the translation on Github. It's still work in progress, there a a few lines that needs to be translated. But I have some difficulties to find the right translation in Dutch ;) Feel free to file a issue if you find one

Edit on: 16-08-2014, 19:11 (dutch timezone)

Translation project is moved already changed the first link to: https://github.com/dutch-translators/Board-Rules
Last edited by watisnf.nl on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations
leschek

Post by leschek »

I'm also working on translation, but I didn't find in language files those examples of rules (Example rule category, example text of rule etc.). While it would be more work for translators it would be great for users if those examples are translated. After installation of phpBB users get translated first post, so why not have it translated here?
david63

Post by david63 »

leschek wrote:I'm also working on translation, but I didn't find in language files those examples of rules (Example rule category, example text of rule etc.). While it would be more work for translators it would be great for users if those examples are translated. After installation of phpBB users get translated first post, so why not have it translated here?
The actual rules are held in the database not language files. You can find the sample text in the migrations folder (v10x/m7_sample_rule_data.php)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
leschek

Post by leschek »

OK, but why not add the example rule/category/text to the database during installation of the extension translated? First post in phpBB is also in database (as other posts), but also in language\en\install.php:

Code: Select all

'DEFAULT_INSTALL_POST'			=> 'This is an example post in your phpBB3 installation. Everything seems to be...
MattF

Post by MattF »

That's a good idea.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Is there a way we can make the 'Categories' highlight once selected via an anchor? I notice they only highlight once you reload the page, or link to it, but they don't highlight upon clicking a category on the page.

I did manage it when using this as a MOD on a 3.0.12 board but can't seem to get it to work with this/3.1.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
MattF

Post by MattF »

Volksdevil wrote:Is there a way we can make the 'Categories' highlight once selected via an anchor? I notice they only highlight once you reload the page, or link to it, but they don't highlight upon clicking a category on the page.

I did manage it when using this as a MOD on a 3.0.12 board but can't seem to get it to work with this/3.1.
No, it's not set up to work that way. The in-page category links are a navigational menu meant to get you to them quickly. Highlighting them is not at all intended, and would be an un-natural behavior compared to how all other sites usually use in-page anchors.

Highlighting is intended when somebody is providing a link to another user, either to a particular rule or category of rules, which is why they only work on page loads for categories. Individual rule highlighting is different when clicking on their anchors because those anchors are not navigational, so they highlight just to let the user know that their anchor link has a highlighting effect.

This behavior is exactly the same as phpBB's own long-standing Rules page and the same as the 3.0 Rules MODs.

Of course you can get your desired behavior by changing how the javascript works, but that means you will always need to re-hack your javascript anytime you update the extension, and we won't support modified versions of the extension.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

No worries, I'll leave it 'As is' on my 3.1 and keep it modified to highlight all on my 3.0.12. :)

I don't really see a problem with highlighting categories myself, an anchor is an anchor. I've done it at my 3.0.12 board like I say, click the categories in the menu on the right to see it http://www.corradog60.com/rules.php

As you can see, the category is highlighted, and you can still highlight individual rules within a category.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

You are more than welcome to submit the required changes as a pull request against the repository: https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/boardrules

We'll review the code and if everything is good we'll consider including it in the extension (this seems like a nice feature to me). :)
MattF

Post by MattF »

EXreaction wrote:We'll review the code and if everything is good we'll consider including it in the extension (this seems like a nice feature to me). :)
Doesn't seem that nice to me :? , because on a long page of rules, if you want to jump to a section, to have it also (suddenly) highlighted in red is very unusual. The highlighting is not the intended "default" way of reading the rules. It's meant only as an emphasis when pointing a user to a rule (or rule set).
PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas »

Agree with VSE. Highlighting and jump-navigating are 2 different things. I would definitely not change the current default behavior. If anything, it should be an ACP setting or something.

Return to “Extensions in Development”