[CDB] [Official Extension] Pages

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

[CDB] [Official Extension] Pages

Post by MattF »

The Extensions Development Team is working on this Pages Extension, as voted for by the community (poll results).

This extension will allow administrators to create custom static pages for their board. Note that this is not a full-blown CMS.

Current Release:
RC 1 (Requires phpBB-3.1.0-RC3)
Download

We have come up with our target list of features for the extension:
  • Unlimited number of pages can be created
  • Custom page titles
  • Custom page descriptions (informational in ACP only)
  • Custom page content (supporting HTML or BBCodes)
  • Custom page routes (e.g.: /pages/customroute)
  • Custom page link locations (e.g.: navbar left/right, footer left/right)
  • Support page breadcrumbs
  • Display page toggle
  • Display page to guests toggle
  • Page ordering/sorting (useful for the appearance of page links)
  • Custom template files
  • Imports Static Pages MOD pages
  • Possible future ability to add component/widgets
Release Archive: https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/pages/releases

Github Repository: https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/pages

Installation:
  1. Unzip the downloaded release, and change the name of the folder to pages.
  2. In the ext directory of your phpBB board, create a new directory named phpbb (if it does not already exist).
  3. Copy the pages folder to phpBB/ext/phpbb/ (if done correctly, you'll have the main extension JSON at (your forum root)/ext/phpbb/pages/composer.json).
  4. Navigate in the ACP to Customise -> Manage extensions.
  5. Look for Pages under the Disabled Extensions list, and click its Enable link.
  6. Set up and configure Pages by navigating in the ACP to Extensions -> Pages.
Note: View the README in the download or at the Github repository for instructions how to further customise Pages with your own link icons, custom template files and how to convert from the Static Pages MOD.

Important: Only official release versions validated by the phpBB Extensions Team should be installed on a live forum. Pre-release (beta, RC) versions downloaded from the GitHub repository are only to be used for testing on offline/development forums and are not officially supported.

All are welcome to contribute to the extension by forking our repository and submitting a Pull Request through Github.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Re: [DEV] [Official Extension] Pages

Post by Volksdevil »

Awesome! :D Can't wait for testing!
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

watching... :D
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl »

I'm definitely in need of this extension, can't wait to test it out ;) A few questions:

1.) So the pages will support HTML will it support BBCodes as well?

2.) So the links will be like this: www.mydomain.com/pages/custompagename? I would personally like it if it was like this: www.mydomain.com/custompagename would that be possible?

3.) About this option: Custom page link locations (e.g.: navbar left/right, footer left/right), will there be a on/off option for this as well?

That's it for now, good luck with the development!
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

I'm ready for test!!! :mrgreen:
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

watisnf.nl wrote:2.) So the links will be like this: www.mydomain.com/pages/custompagename? I would personally like it if it was like this: www.mydomain.com/custompagename would that be possible?
Interested to know this too. I'd also prefer a shorter link if possible.
EDIT: Ooooooo. Just a passing thought, but what about the ability to pull topics from chosen forums? :D
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Once I find the time to update my test board to RC3, I will start testing this (after a release comes out of course)!
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
MattF

Post by MattF »

watisnf.nl wrote:I'm definitely in need of this extension, can't wait to test it out ;) A few questions:

1.) So the pages will support HTML will it support BBCodes as well?

2.) So the links will be like this: www.mydomain.com/pages/custompagename? I would personally like it if it was like this: www.mydomain.com/custompagename would that be possible?

3.) About this option: Custom page link locations (e.g.: navbar left/right, footer left/right), will there be a on/off option for this as well?

That's it for now, good luck with the development!
1. "supporting HTML instead of BBCodes"

2. You could probably do that but you would have to edit your htaccess file. Obviously though, www.mydomain.com/custompagename can not be allowed because it would be too easy to conflict with a page in the core or added by some other extensions, like /faq or /rules or /gallery, etc.

3. No. The idea is if you want a link to the page to appear on your board, you can choose the location where, and there will be those obvious locations, but it could also be extended by extensions too, possibly, to include other locations. Or just leave it blank for no link.
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

well done,,, im waiting
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I can kind of understand why MOds or extensions can not have both HTML and bbcode for their functionality but why was HTML preferred over bbcode for this project? After close to a decade of saying no to HTML and with bbcode dedicated forums... just amazed by that is all.
watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl »

VSE wrote: 1. "supporting HTML instead of BBCodes"
Okay, well that's not a big problem. I just have to convert all my pages on my website which use BBcodes for
text formatting in 3.0. I'm wondering the same as Peter77sx, why HTML instead of BBcode?
VSE wrote: 2. You could probably do that but you would have to edit your htaccess file. Obviously though, www.mydomain.com/custompagename can not be allowed because it would be too easy to conflict with a page in the core or added by some other extensions, like /faq or /rules or /gallery, etc.
I would definitely make that change, I'm not afraid that it will conflict with other pages ;)
VSE wrote: 3. No. The idea is if you want a link to the page to appear on your board, you can choose the location where, and there will be those obvious locations, but it could also be extended by extensions too, possibly, to include other locations. Or just leave it blank for no link.
What if you don't want a link to appear on your board, because your adding a drop down menu as navigation? Besides that, I think I have to wait till I see it ;) I can't imagine how this will look on the board, I will disable the navbar on my pages anyway, so it looks more professional and like a website.
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations
MattF

Post by MattF »

Peter77sx wrote:I can kind of understand why MOds or extensions can not have both HTML and bbcode for their functionality but why was HTML preferred over bbcode for this project? After close to a decade of saying no to HTML and with bbcode dedicated forums... just amazed by that is all.
HTML will be OK because it is the board's admins who will creating this content. HTML content has usually been disallowed because it provides an opportunity for malicious code to be added by users. But in this case, it's your board, and you're the admin, so you should not be prevented from using HTML in the content you are creating.

And we are allowing HTML because it provides way more design flexibility. With BBCodes, your content will just look like any other post. But with HTML, you could create tables, use iframes, embed media, create a sidebar...the possibilities are virtually endless as long as you know HTML. Even if you don't know HTML, and are used to BBCodes, all the standard BBCodes are pretty similar and simple to do as HTML anyway.
Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

VSE wrote: 1. "supporting HTML instead of BBCodes"

2. You could probably do that but you would have to edit your htaccess file. Obviously though, www.mydomain.com/custompagename can not be allowed because it would be too easy to conflict with a page in the core or added by some other extensions, like /faq or /rules or /gallery, etc.

3. No. The idea is if you want a link to the page to appear on your board, you can choose the location where, and there will be those obvious locations, but it could also be extended by extensions too, possibly, to include other locations. Or just leave it blank for no link.
I have a few questions and proposals as well:

1. Will it be possible to use template and language variables?

2. How about adding a small tutorial for specific .htaccess rewrite rules in the extension's documentation? Like this one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... /faq/f_323 And you can include a warning there about all the possible conflicts.

3. Will the pages appear at the viewonline?
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Will be looking forward to this. :)
MattF

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote: I have a few questions and proposals as well:

1. Will it be possible to use template and language variables?

2. How about adding a small tutorial for specific .htaccess rewrite rules in the extension's documentation? Like this one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... /faq/f_323 And you can include a warning there about all the possible conflicts.

3. Will the pages appear at the viewonline?
1. I don't think so.
3. Yes.

Return to “Extensions in Development”