subsilver?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Anti-Spam Guide
curho

subsilver?

Post by curho » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 am

Will the old subSilver skin from 2.0.10 work with the new phpBB? Trying to make an old-school forum like Gaming Underground was with all the old stuff on it

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Re: subsilver?

Post by Jessica » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:48 am

Work with 3.1.x or 3.0.x? Frankly, I don't think it'll work with either.
Please do not PM me for support unless it is absolutely necessary
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 am

No, 3.0 styles won't work with 3.1

Subsilver for 3.1 is available as separate download: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... 3.1.0-RC3/ (scroll to end of page)
I advice against using it though. It works fine with 3.1, but is missing many 3.1 features and unsupported.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Is there an official statement from the phpBB 3.1 development team as to whether subsilver2 is a part of 3.1? Seems to me I've seen conflicting reports over the course of the phpBB 3.1 development cycle.

We try to run stock phpBB boards, which currently provide both prosilver and subsilver2. The majority of our members use prosilver, but there a small number of holdouts using subsilver2. From my testing, a board updated per viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2232411#convert3 will NOT have subsilver2 installed, but if updated via the Automatic Update package, then subsilver2 is still available.

Hence the question, what's the "official" stance on subsilver2 style when phpBB 3.1 is released?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

DarkBeing
Name: Sven

Post by DarkBeing » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Information regarding subsilver2 can be found here: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 9&start=60

The post the last quotes in the topic from one of the developers:
EXreaction wrote:We've already decided to maintain it for 3.1 but remove it from the downloads package.
and
EXreaction wrote:Subsilver2 isn't going to be updated. If you wish to have the new features in prosilver but the look of subsilver, you'll want try subsilver3 or something similar.
So to sum it up, subsilver2 is not going to be included in the 3.1 release but offered as a separate download and removed completely when 3.2 comes out. At least that is the last info I have so far.

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks. I hadn't found the linked topic.
DarkBeing wrote:subsilver2 is not going to be included in the 3.1 release but offered as a separate download
Not quite true as I posted above. It is NOT included in the Full Package, but it is included in the Automatic Update package (at least as of RC6).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 pm

P_I wrote:Thanks. I hadn't found the linked topic.
DarkBeing wrote:subsilver2 is not going to be included in the 3.1 release but offered as a separate download
Not quite true as I posted above. It is NOT included in the Full Package, but it is included in the Automatic Update package (at least as of RC6).
actually that is not quite accurate either.

the only thing included in the rc 6 update is the style.cfg file for subsilver2. I am not sure why it is even there because subsilver2 is not included in rc 5 at all either.

and, the statemen above said it won't be included in the 3.1 release. that does not mean the rc versions it means the final release.

Arty posted above what is going on with subsilver and I would bet he knows what he is talking about.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Robert, check the phpBB-3.0.12_to_3.1.0-RC6.zip package. The one that I downloaded contained lots of files in the directory install/update/new/styles/subsilver2/.

My first impression from reading Arty's post was subsilver2 was unsupported for 3.1 and I was ready to include this information when I advised my forum membership about the upcoming upgrade to phpBB 3.1.

Then I discovered during my testing that if I used the Automatic Update package, the subsilver2 style was still available. Thus my questions and confusion, so I asked
P_I wrote:what's the "official" stance on subsilver2 style when phpBB 3.1 is released?
Personally, I trying to wean all my members off subsilver2, but past attempts have encountered vocal holdouts, particularly among our forum moderators. GIven the vital role they play, I'm trying to stay on their good side :)

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 pm

For NEW users it's isn't an option, unless the go do the Customisation DB and download it. It is missing many of the features of prosilver that were added for 3.1. They are not going to be added. For people updating from 3.0 that use subsilver there are updates to accommodate them. Those updates are purely to make it work with 3.1 and therefore are the same as if they'd just installed phpBB and downloaded subsilver from the CDB.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”