Audio player?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
volgograd
Name: Anna

Audio player?

Post by volgograd »

I am looking for a built-in mp3 (audio) player.
Many of the users don't have suitable plugins installed, and aren't able to install and use them correctly.
Any tips?
Last edited by Mick on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved from Support
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Audio player?

Post by Mick »

Built in to where, phpBB?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Wouldn't people just listen to the music they want on their own computer?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Nathan Covey
Name: Nathan Covey

Post by Nathan Covey »

I listen to music on my iPad. I download my music from the iTunes Store.
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Post by martin123456 »

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_CODE_UNTIDY and S_MESS_ON_INDEX Good If_Not_TIDY_Then_SUBMIT -->
volgograd

Post by volgograd »

martin123456 wrote:May be viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2123833#p12967665 ??
Thank you martin123456, this is what I was looking for, I think.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2123833#p12967665
But the files that the player can play, has to be attachments stored at the same host, or?

Does it work if the file is save somewhere else?
I want to let user play some files that are stored on another users site, who is a member. He has more bandwidth than what he needs. My site has less bandwidth
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Post by martin123456 »

Attachments need to be on your host (server) but links you can use a bbcode [mp3]some link here[/mp3] so yes you can play from other sites as long as they allow you too.

http://qkin.com/phpbb3-mp3-player/

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_CODE_UNTIDY and S_MESS_ON_INDEX Good If_Not_TIDY_Then_SUBMIT -->
volgograd

Post by volgograd »

martin123456 wrote:Attachments need to be on your host (server) but links you can use a bbcode [mp3]some link here[/mp3] so yes you can play from other sites as long as they allow you too.

It's not working for me. Do I have to add it as a custom BB code ?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what do you mean it doesn't work?

if you want to add a player to your board you must add it to your server, set it up etc.

then, you must create a custom bbcode that uses that player just like ones that use players from other sites.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
volgograd

Post by volgograd »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:what do you mean it doesn't work?

if you want to add a player to your board you must add it to your server, set it up etc.

then, you must create a custom bbcode that uses that player just like ones that use players from other sites.

robert
Thanks for the explanation. Would you be able to recommend a player?
Lumpy Burgertushie

the one mentioned above might work once you get it set up. I have not looked at it.
or one like JWPlayer ( google for it ) will work.

If you are going to host the player then you will need to host the files as well. If I remember correctly, your goal is to let someone else host the files.

I would assume that they will have to host the player and the files etc. then you simply create the bbcode on your board that points to their player and the files just like the youtube bbcodes work.

personally I think you are going about this all wrong. host the files, let people use the players already built into their computers to play the files and be done with it.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
volgograd

Post by volgograd »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the one mentioned above might work once you get it set up. I have not looked at it.
or one like JWPlayer ( google for it ) will work.

If you are going to host the player then you will need to host the files as well. If I remember correctly, your goal is to let someone else host the files.

I would assume that they will have to host the player and the files etc. then you simply create the bbcode on your board that points to their player and the files just like the youtube bbcodes work.

personally I think you are going about this all wrong. host the files, let people use the players already built into their computers to play the files and be done with it.

robert
I understand what you mean. I will think about this. Not sure what to do.

I am worried that it will take up too much bandwidth if I host it on the site. Maybe it's unnecessary concern. site says:
Monthly Bandwidth Transfer
1.29 GB / 1.91 TB
I used 1.29 GB out of 1.91 TB.

But that's just for development.
What do you think?

The files that I want are already on the other persons server. I don't know how many people might want to stream or download them.
Lumpy Burgertushie

first, you would have to do almost a thousand times what you already used each month before it would be a problem.

unless your site is all about music then I doubt your users would play them all that much to be a problem.
if the other person allows you to, you can move/copy the files to your server.

I am not saying you can't do it the way you want but it would be much easier to just host the files and let people use their own media players if they want to use the media.

robert

volgograd

Post by volgograd »

The files are lectures and the person who hosts them don't mind if I take them. But he's on the server at a big university and has unlimited bandwidth, so it doesn't matter to him if I use it. He just put the files in a directory of a server he manages. When I discovered that, I downloaded every file to save for the future,and that was several GB. If 20 people do that on my site per month, then it's suddenly more serious.
volgograd

Post by volgograd »

martin123456 wrote:Attachments need to be on your host (server) but links you can use a bbcode [mp3]some link here[/mp3] so yes you can play from other sites as long as they allow you too.

Thank you for helping me so far
qkin is exactly what I want. But I can't get it to work.
I went through the instructions very carefully, and checked the comments for some of the fixes.
But it's not working.

I am not using prosilver and the only difference I can find between the instructions and my setup, is that one file misses an S at the end of the file name. attachments attachment. I find the text I search for there though.

Is there any alternative plugin to try since this doesn't work for me?

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”