Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter?

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
soadeathdealer

Re: Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter?

Post by soadeathdealer »

oasselin wrote:I got the users to transfer ok but for some reason discussions arent making it across :

something to do with categories?

Moving Thread Posts
CatMap Error: ID: 4
CatMap Error: ID: 3
CatMap Error: ID: 6
CatMap Error: ID: 7
CatMap Error: ID: 19

did you get a password size error? if so how did u increase the size?
oasselin

Post by oasselin »

Yes I did, I had to delete all the users that had passwords that were too long. Our forum is pretty new and most users haven't posted anything yet, but I'd still like to be able to transfer the threads.... anyone?
soadeathdealer

Post by soadeathdealer »

oasselin wrote:Yes I did, I had to delete all the users that had passwords that were too long. Our forum is pretty new and most users haven't posted anything yet, but I'd still like to be able to transfer the threads.... anyone?

ok got the password error fixed but got the same error as u
soadeathdealer

Post by soadeathdealer »

any fix to the errors we posted above?
][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ »

I had high hopes, but it doesn't work. I tried to go from Vanilla v2.1.x to phpBB v.3.0.12, as well as directly to phpBB v3.1.1 (with some modifications to the converter script), but the result is all messed up.

During the run of the script something with script execution seems to always time out, causing the before mentioned generic 500 Internal Server Error, which btw does not have to do with the PHP max_execution_time (as that one is set to 30 sec on our server and the server error comes a lot later). That server error does not seem to be crucial, because with the help of the generated cache files in /convert the script seem to continue on restart. I had to restart the script quite a number of times for our database with about 75 MB to finally get to the result page, but that one showed a long list of CatMap Errors and some PrivMsg Address Errors at the end.

It seems that all Vanilla categories have been correctly transformed to phpBB forums even with correct forum description, but the numbers are all wrong (seems the number of posts has been also inserted in the number of topics column, both show the same value now), last post to forums set to board admin at conversion time, topics in forums are missing postings and show "Guest" as OP and last post by with zero replies, opening a topic show the proper username(s) but most of the time only the initial posting with the rest of the discussion missing.

A conversion in this state is totally unusable, but I'm not the right person to start tinkering with the code. It looks like a large part of the conversion would work, but some errors prevent a usable outcome.

If only someone with the right knowledge could look it over and adapt/correct this conversion script to properly do a conversion from Vanilla v2.1.x directly to phpBB v.3.1.1 it would be so great. Right now I'm stuck with no idea what to do. :(
][Moon][Shine][

Carla83 wrote:Thanks for your support! Finally I managed to import my forum using the smf converter and everything went smoot :geek:
Carla83, which converter did you use to go from Vanilla v2.1.x to SMF, and which one from SMF to phpBB?

My first try going from Vanilla v2.1.x to SMF using the converter from their download page first resulted in the converter not finding the path to the Vanilla installation (because it was looking for a wrong config-file name), and after correcting that I just got a blank page. I'm looking into that one again right now.
][Moon][Shine][

The SMF converter is definitely not working for Vanilla 2.1.x in its present state, because it was written for Vanilla 1 and has been updated to Vanilla 2.0.x which is not 100% compatible with Vanilla 2.1.x. I was able to make some changes to the converter script to make it run through the conversion without errors, but my major problem right now is that the initial posting of every thread is missing. I have made an extensive analyses here.

Who know that converting from Vanilla to phpBB could be that complicated. It really is a pity that there are two possible approaches (the Vanilla -> SMF -> phpBB route, and the now defunct CalebTheWizard converter for going directly from Vanilla to phpBB), but both have not been kept updated and are now not working any more for the current version of Vanilla and phpBB. A direct conversion from Vanilla 2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.1 would be very much appreciated.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”