[split from] phpBB2 vs phpBB3, my point of view...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
WWu777

[split from] phpBB2 vs phpBB3, my point of view...

Post by WWu777 »

Is there any drawback or consequence with just sticking with phpbb2? What's the risk?

If webhosting companies keep upgrading their default MySQL system to version 5.* and higher, will there come a point where phpbb2 simply stops working?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: [split from] phpBB2 vs phpBB3, my point of view...

Post by Marshalrusty »

Simply put, you should not be using phpBB2 at this point. When an online software vendor (that's us) tells you that they have retired support for a version of their product and will no longer be publishing security updates for it, the responsible thing to do is to stop using it. Certainly when it's five and a half years after that point and you're still using the software, I'm not sure what you're doing. Good luck, I guess.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
noth

Post by noth »

in 2008 I was still using phpBB2 and I sent a message to my webhosting company about an issue that I needed support on

I was shocked for them to immediately point out that phpBB3 was released and they suggested I upgraded

and that was in 2008 :lol:
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

But there is one advantage to using phpbb2 though. You don't get as much spam. I have a phpbb3 forum, and it gets tons of spam from Russia and Ukraine everyday. Spam bots post hundreds of spam posts in it. It seems that the spam bots are designed for phpbb3. On the other hand, my phpbb2 forum gets very little spam. I think the new spam bots aren't geared for phpbb2. So that's one advantage.

What can you do about the spam on phpbb3? It's overwhelming. It mostly comes from Russia and Ukraine though. I've installed many humanizers and anti-spam features on my phpbb3 forum. But they don't seem to stop them. What can you do?

Should you block entire countries in your htaccess file?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would imagine you are using an effective spam bot deterrent on your phpbb2 board . the most effective one I ever say was the simple RAC MOD. It was a question/answer thing that when you got the right type of question, was rarely beaten.

wow, phpbb3 has that built in only better.

go to your phpbb3 admin panel, spambot countermeasures.

How to configure Q&A
  1. ACP> Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins> click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add.
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit.
  4. Click 'back to previous page' then click 'back'
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
that will stop all of the spambots, no htaccess stuff, no weird MODs etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I would imagine you are using an effective spam bot deterrent on your phpbb2 board . the most effective one I ever say was the simple RAC MOD. It was a question/answer thing that when you got the right type of question, was rarely beaten.

wow, phpbb3 has that built in only better.

go to your phpbb3 admin panel, spambot countermeasures.

How to configure Q&A
  1. ACP> Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins> click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add.
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit.
  4. Click 'back to previous page' then click 'back'
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
that will stop all of the spambots, no htaccess stuff, no weird MODs etc.

robert
I did that long ago. I enabled the Q&A humanizer questions and rotated many questions. That didn't stop the spam from Ukraine. I still got thousands of spam. Somehow the bots are able to beat the Q&A's now.
Lumpy Burgertushie

not sure what "humanizer" is but if you are not using the built in Q&A then that is your problem.

if you are using it then your questions are not good. if you can put the question in google and find the answer anywhere in the results, then the spam bots can too. if it is a multiple choice type answer, the spam bots can figure it out. if it is a math question, the spambots can get it right. etc. etc.

also, if you are using multiple questions then all the bots have to do if get the answer to one of them and your whole system is no good.
use one, unsearchable question.
just about everyone that I have heard of that gets a good question/answer has solved at least 99% of their spam problems. you will rarely see a human spammer and they are fairly easy to spot right away and deal with accordingly.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
cleverwise
Name: Jeremy

Post by cleverwise »

I would suggest you look up the keycaptcha project. They have a phpBB plugin that might help with your spam bot issue. It is a new way of doing captchas that isn't simply text based and is very easy to use.

I would strongly recommend getting of phpBB 2.0 too.
Respectfully,
Jeremy

DevOPs - Linux Admin, PHP Developer, Oracle DBA OCP Training
Display phpBB statistics on WordPress (Read more...)
Sajaki

Post by Sajaki »

if you're looking for a good anti spam plugin, i recommend "Are you a human" (google it). works flawlessy on my phpbb3 board.
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:if you are not using the built in Q&A then that is your problem.

if you are using it then your questions are not good. if you can put the question in google and find the answer anywhere in the results, then the spam bots can too. if it is a multiple choice type answer, the spam bots can figure it out. if it is a math question, the spambots can get it right. etc. etc.

also, if you are using multiple questions then all the bots have to do if get the answer to one of them and your whole system is no good.
just about everyone that I have heard of that gets a good question/answer has solved at least 99% of their spam problems. you will rarely see a human spammer and they are fairly easy to spot right away and deal with accordingly.

robert
Quoted for truth!
Another point is to only use one question. So you know exactly when it has been broken.

As soon as my last question was broken I had 100+ registrations a day until I changed my question.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

WWu777 wrote:But there is one advantage to using phpbb2 though. You don't get as much spam.
Thats not true at all. I've been using phpBB3 for many many many years on a popular site and never have any issues with SPAM. Maybe one gets through every month or two. I use the Sortables Captcha plugin MOD.

On the other hand, if you believe SPAM is somehow geared towards phpBB3 over v2, well, the only thing I could say to that is what do you expect when you are using totally obsolete dead software...even the SPAM have moved on! :lol:

The security in phpBB3 also far outweigh any SPAM annoyances. I'll take SPAM over another hacked phpBB2 board any day.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:not sure what "humanizer" is but if you are not using the built in Q&A then that is your problem.

robert
Of course I'm using the built in Q&A. It was known as a humanizer question before it became part of the anti-spam ACP panel. My humanizer questions are about history and geography. I cannot think of a question that is unsearchable. I don't think most people can either. Can you give me an example of a good humanizer question that is unsearchable? If that's private, then can you PM it to me?
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

VSE wrote:
WWu777 wrote:But there is one advantage to using phpbb2 though. You don't get as much spam.
Thats not true at all. I've been using phpBB3 for many many many years on a popular site and never have any issues with SPAM. Maybe one gets through every month or two. I use the Sortables Captcha plugin MOD.

On the other hand, if you believe SPAM is somehow geared towards phpBB3 over v2, well, the only thing I could say to that is what do you expect when you are using totally obsolete dead software...even the SPAM have moved on! :lol:

The security in phpBB3 also far outweigh any SPAM annoyances. I'll take SPAM over another hacked phpBB2 board any day.
Can you explain what you do then? I've enabled all the antispam features on my phpbb3 boards, including the CAPTCHA and Q&A, and they still get through. The only way I was able to stop them was by blocking all IP's from Ukraine and Russia in my htaccess file, which means I had to copy and paste a very long list of IP's from sites that tell you how to block whole countries. I don't see any other way.

My phpbb2 board has never been hacked by the way. I don't see much advantage of phpbb3. The admin panel on phpbb3 is much more messy and complicated.
Mess wrote: Another point is to only use one question. So you know exactly when it has been broken.

As soon as my last question was broken I had 100+ registrations a day until I changed my question.
If you did that, you'd have to change the question every few days or every week. That'd be a pain. I'd rather instate a permanent solution.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

For many forums, something like What is the main subject of this forum? will work. Might be birds, coins, phpBB, whatever. You can configure multiple valid answers to ensure people figure it out.

What is the first word in our logo?

Best to stick to something pertaining to the specific forum.
WWu777 wrote:If you did that, you'd have to change the question every few days or every week. That'd be a pain. I'd rather instate a permanent solution.
With spam, there is simply no such thing. The trick is staying ahead of the technologies implemented by the various spam enabling organizations.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Lumpy Burgertushie

your current question is not very good. have you ever typed that question into google? the very first return gives the spam bots the answer and all they have to do is type it twice, once with caps and once without , to be able to get in.

the standard captcha was beaten years ago.

a good question would be what represents the letter O in our logo.

the possible answers could be earth, globe, planet, etc.

type one question with, in this case, multiple possible answers. make it not case sensitive.

there would be little, if any , chance of a bot guessing that question. it could not be answered by using the search etc.

done.

no more spam, no need to banning IPs, etc. etc.

If, it was ever solved by a human and added to a list somewhere, then you would have to find another question like it.

luck,
robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”