Heard about Bitcoin ?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
gwave

Heard about Bitcoin ?

Post by gwave »

How many of you here have heard of Bitcoin ? For those, who are reading this word for the first time, Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency. It was first conceptualized by a pseudo-anonymous cryptographer, named Satoshi Nakamoto. You might like to read his whitepaper at www.coinlearn.org/whitepaper.php which talks about the working methodology of Bitcoin.

Recently (October 10, 2014) a documentary has been released on Bitcoin with the title The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin. It covers the major incidents in the Bitcoin world from 2009-2014. If you are new to Bitcoin, I'd suggest you to see the movie at least once at your spare time.

Feel free to share you opinion about the movie and Bitcoin in general...
Last edited by gwave on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Heard about Bitcoin ?

Post by Brf »

I have removed your links.

Unless you have an opinion or something to discuss, this topic would be considered spam.
gwave

Post by gwave »

Brf wrote:I have removed your links.

Unless you have an opinion or something to discuss, this topic would be considered spam.
May I know the logic behind considering the Bitcoin whitepaper as spam ? There was no referral attached to the link that could earn me a single penny !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

personally, I would suggest that anything to do with bitcoin would be spam at the very least. I doubt seriously if it will even be around much longer considering the attention it is gettin by law enforcement around the world. It is being used extensively for illegal reasons.

robert
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

gwave wrote: May I know the logic behind considering the Bitcoin whitepaper as spam ? There was no referral attached to the link that could earn me a single penny !!!
The point is that you are not expressing any type of opinion or subject matter here for discussion.
This is a discussion forum, not a spam-link forum.

Suppose I posted something like:

=================================================================
Here is a link to a paper about sewage: http://sewage.example.com/whitepaper.htm

Feel free to express here your opinions on sewage.
=================================================================
noth

Post by noth »

I totally agree with Robert .... It is being used extensively for illegal reasons and it saddens me to see celebrities express their support for it e.g. Sir Richard Branson.

Bitcoin is the perfect way to pay for drugs and weapons when you wish to stay anonymous! Let's help the criminals!! :o
david63

Post by david63 »

In answer to the OP - no
gwave

Post by gwave »

noth wrote:I totally agree with Robert .... It is being used extensively for illegal reasons and it saddens me to see celebrities express their support for it e.g. Sir Richard Branson.

Bitcoin is the perfect way to pay for drugs and weapons when you wish to stay anonymous! Let's help the criminals!! :o
Bitcoin is being accepted by Wikipedia, Virgin Galactic, Expedia, TigerDirect, Overstock, PayPal, Payza, Khan Academy, Wordpress, BuySellAds ...just to name a few.

Drugs and Weapons were illegally sold even before the invention of Bitcoin. If that is your reason to ban Bitcoin, first ban cash.

There is a recent documentary released on Bitcoin about which I talked about in the OP. Here you can watch the documentary for free. I hope this will help you to get over you wrong conceptions about Bitcoin.

p.s. I hope the link wont be considered as SPAM once again. It is for the people to watch, having wrong conception about an invention.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

What is your personal experience in using Bitcoin?
gwave

Post by gwave »

Brf wrote:What is your personal experience in using Bitcoin?
I could do instant transaction across the globe at less cost. I'm not from USA, but I buy various web products from USA. As long as I used credit card, I was charged a big Forex commission + CC processing fee. After Bitcoin, I dont need to pay for those extra charges. Moreover, my hosting once renewed my term without my consent as I dint know they have auto-renewal in place and I had to de-activate that manually. As long as I have switched to Bitcoin, I dont have that headache as auto-renewal is not possible unless I pay.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

So you are actually using Bitcoin for something?
gwave

Post by gwave »

Brf wrote:So you are actually using Bitcoin for something?
Ya... what's wrong ?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That is what my question was. I asked you what your experience was with Bitcoin, and you answered with "Could", rather than "Did". You also told about your bad experiences with Credit cards, when I did not ask about credit cards.
gwave

Post by gwave »

Brf wrote:That is what my question was. I asked you what your experience was with Bitcoin, and you answered with "Could", rather than "Did". You also told about your bad experiences with Credit cards, when I did not ask about credit cards.
I guess u read only the first sentence !!!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

So you bought "Various web products" and "hosting" of some sort.
That is not very descriptive.

Return to “General Discussion”