Why are avatars being automatically resized?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Bruce Banner

Re: Why are avatars being automatically resized?

Post by Bruce Banner »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:There is 1px dedicated to the border between the postbit and the post content -- if they add up to 100% and you add the 1px border, some browsers will add a horizontal scrollbar.
Ah, OK. Thanks.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Mick wrote:
Bruce Banner wrote:do you know why those widths can't add up to 100%?
You have to take the 'borders' in to account as well as the space allowed for the image.

Edit: too late again! :)
Thanks anyway. :)
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:well, jelly knows a lot more about this that I do, however, I always say that nothing is impossible, it just depends on how much you want to rewrite the code to make it do something it wasn't designed to do.

robert
Thanks.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Oh, one more question. If I set a certain width in the maximum avatar dimensions in the ACP, and someone tries uploading/linking to an image that's wider, will the image be automatically resized to the set width, or will the user have to resize it themselves and try again?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Bruce Banner wrote:Oh, one more question. If I set a certain width in the maximum avatar dimensions in the ACP, and someone tries uploading/linking to an image that's wider, will the image be automatically resized to the set width, or will the user have to resize it themselves and try again?
It will be rejected back to the user. I suspect someone will make an extension to auto-resize the avatar but I don't see one at this time.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
Bruce Banner wrote:Oh, one more question. If I set a certain width in the maximum avatar dimensions in the ACP, and someone tries uploading/linking to an image that's wider, will the image be automatically resized to the set width, or will the user have to resize it themselves and try again?
It will be rejected back to the user. I suspect someone will make an extension to auto-resize the avatar but I don't see one at this time.
Thanks. I'm having more trouble now. I can't remember exactly what it was I did that caused the content of my post to overlap with my avatar last night. I've tried a few different manouvres now and all that keeps happening is my avatar expands to full size but gets cut off on the right side. I'm trying to recreate the overlapping effect so I can figure out from there what I should change those percentages to.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

I've figured it out. I had to change this piece of code

Code: Select all

/* Post-profile avatars */
.postprofile .has-avatar .avatar-container {
	margin-bottom: 3px;
	overflow: hidden;
}
to

/* Post-profile avatars */
.postprofile .has-avatar .avatar-container {
	margin-bottom: 3px;
	overflow: visible;
}
But although I can now see the overlap, I can't seem to do anything about it. I changed those postprofile and postbody percentages. Just swapped them around, from 22 and 76 to 76 and 22. But that didn't seem to make the postbit any wider. What am I doing wrong?
Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

You would need to change it to 25 and 73 for example, to make the profile width increase.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Khaos-Rage wrote:You would need to change it to 25 and 73 for example, to make the profile width increase.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

I'm really not understanding this at all. No matter what I change those percentages to, it's having no effect. I tried changing them from 22 and 76 to 25 and 73. I'm now up to 38 and 60. Still nothing. The postbit isn't getting ANY wider.
Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Are you leaving the percent sign on the number ex. 25% 73% because it works for me using firefox web developer tools to change it.

This is at 53% postbody and 45% postprofile
Screenshot_8.png
Screenshot_8.png (42.28 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Khaos-Rage wrote:Are you leaving the percent sign on the number ex. 25% 73% because it works for me using firefox web developer tools to change it.

This is at 53% postbody and 45% postprofile
Screenshot_8.png
Oh yeah, I wouldn't take the percent sign off. It's just not working. Nothing's happening. There must be something else I should change as well but haven't.

Here's what I've tried:

Changing

.postprofile .avatar img {
	display: block;
	height: auto !important;
	max-width: 100%;
}
to

.postprofile .avatar img {
	display: block;
	height: auto !important;
}
changing

.postprofile {
	/* Also see tweaks.css */
	margin: 5px 0 10px 0;
	min-height: 80px;
	border: 1px solid transparent;
	border-width: 0 0 0 1px;
	width: 22%;
	float: right;
	display: inline;
}
to

.postprofile {
	/* Also see tweaks.css */
	margin: 5px 0 10px 0;
	min-height: 80px;
	border: 1px solid transparent;
	border-width: 0 0 0 1px;
	width: 38%;
	float: right;
	display: inline;
}
and

.postbody {
	padding: 0;
	line-height: 1.48em;
	width: 76%;
	float: left;
	position: relative;
}
to

.postbody {
	padding: 0;
	line-height: 1.48em;
	width: 60%;
	float: left;
	position: relative;
}
Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

You also have to clear the board cache in the admin panel before the changes will show up. Also ctrl + f5 will force the browser to reload and clear the browser cache
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Khaos-Rage wrote:You also have to clear the board cache in the admin panel before the changes will show up. Also ctrl + f5 will force the browser to reload and clear the browser cache
Ah, so that's it. Nobody told me that before. Thanks.

god, the number of times people just assume prior knowledge.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Nope, it isn't working. I purged the board cache, force cleared the browser cache. Nothing. Tried in two different browsers. Nothing. No difference. Except for the avatar enlarging to full size. That's the only thing that works. It's still cut off though on the right side. No matter what percentages I enter, the postbit will NOT get any wider.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”