[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Survival Bill

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by Survival Bill »

Big thanks my users will love this so easy breezy!
Your the man....
Trout Anglers NW

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by Trout Anglers NW »

thoomas wrote:
Trout Anglers NW wrote: Next, I 'copy & paste' a YouTube address onto the test window of a 'new Topic'. The YouTube player does not appear, but instead an active text link appears which directs to the chosen video on the YouTube site.

What am I doing wrong with this???

Thanks you.
what error it gives you when you try to preview the post with youtube link inside?
When I preview the test url it displays as an active link to YouTube, not an embed of the player.
Trout Anglers NW

Volksdevil wrote:You may have an extra folder uploaded to your server.

The path should be: YourForum/ext/s9e/mediaembed

And inside that last mediaembed folder you should have the files etc, composer, ext.php, licence, readme, and the folders config, event, vendor.
I have all that file path except the first part. My 'ext' folder is inside a folder named, 'public_html'.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Use your FTP client to access the root of your forums. I believe that in your case it should be public_html but I can't know that for sure. That's the directory that have those files: (among others)

Code: Select all

adm
app.php
assets
bin
cache
common.php
composer.json
composer.lock
config
config.php
cron.php
docs
download
ext
Now get inside the ext there. Inside there should be

index.htm
s9e
Normally that s9e is the content of the most recent archive. If it's there, you should be able to enable the extension in the ACP, and if you enable it it should work. If it doesn't, we're in unknown territory. :?

If it still doesn't work, I can offer you to look into it if you give me access to your FTP as long as you promise to revoke that access and/or change the password afterwards.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
Trout Anglers NW

Nully wrote:
Trout Anglers NW wrote: Next, I uploaded the 's9e' folder into, 'public_html/ext'.
I don't know what is public-html.
I have a folder named ext, which is after folder "download" and before "files".
Inside folder "ext", I have folder named "s9e" and inside "s9e" there is "mediambed".
I also have a folder named 'ext', which is after folder 'download' and before 'files'. But, all of those folders are inside a folder named, 'public.html'.

my 's9e' is inside the 'ext' and all folders inside 's9e' are in proper order???
Last edited by Trout Anglers NW on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

As it turns out, your ext directory is publicly accessible so I could see for myself that you uploaded the extension in the right place. However, you're missing at least two files:

ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack.php
ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack/Renderer.php
(Re-)Upload them and it should work.
Trout Anglers NW

JoshyPHP, Some (not all) of the example folders you show with your screen shot are inside a folder named, 'public_html'. But, if that isn't enough, there is another folder in the same directory as, 'public_html' that is named, 'www' and 'www' has an exact duplicate of every folder found inside, 'public_html'. The, 'ext' folder is located inside each of the two folders I mentioned. The, 's9e' folder is inside both of the 'ext' folders.

Are you confused? :lol:

Edit: I was typing this as you were replying the second time. Does what I wrote above throw up any flags?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Forget the location of the directory, it's in the right place. I don't know about that "www" directory, it looks like a symbolic link (an alias) but it shouldn't matter. I have identified your problem: you're missing two files

public_html/ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack.php
public_html/ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack/Renderer.php
They are in the archive, I don't know why they didn't get uploaded. Try to upload them again and check your FTP client for any errors during the transfer.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Wow :shock: :lol: Which folder is your forum in/running from?
JoshyPHP wrote:Forget the location of the directory, it's in the right place. I don't know about that "www" directory, it looks like a symbolic link (an alias) but it shouldn't matter. I have identified your problem: you're missing two files

public_html/ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack.php
public_html/ext/s9e/mediaembed/vendor/s9e/TextFormatter/src/Bundles/MediaPack/Renderer.php
They are in the archive, I don't know why they didn't get uploaded. Try to upload them again and check your FTP client for any errors during the transfer.
Unless he's uploading to a folder that's simply serving no purpose/duplicated for no reason?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Trout Anglers NW

"Hot Damn" (that's an old guy expression for excitement)! It WORKS! :lol:

Thanks kindly JoshyPHP, your patience with me is appreciated. 8-)
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Glad that we could resolve this issue. :ugeek:

I'll use this opportunity to mention that if you like this extension I have recently added a couple of PayPal button on the front page, that I'll reproduce below. You can show your appreciation and support future development with a contribution in USD or EUR.

ImageImage
gotwings

Post by gotwings »

I really like the idea of this extension, and we'll most likely install it after the initial 3.1.x shake-out period.

But a question: Suppose I have some BBCodes for a 3.0.12 forum which allow users to link to clips at Vimeo and YouTube.

Not a MOD.... Rather, custom BBCodes that have been defined via the ACP:Posting:BBCodes admin page.

After an upgrade to 3.1.x, and installation of this extension, would previously-existing posts which make use of those Vimeo/YouTube/etc BBCodes continue to work, no intervention required?

Thanks for any info!

--gw
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

gotwings wrote:would previously-existing posts which make use of those Vimeo/YouTube/etc BBCodes continue to work, no intervention required?
Yes. The extension does not interact with BBCodes in any way.

How it works is this: when you post a URL, phpBB automatically transforms it into a clickable link unless you checked "Do not automatically parse URLs" when you post it. The extension looks for those "magic" links (they are clearly identified) when they are posted and marks them for later with some information on how to transform them into videos/embedded content. Then when the message is displayed to the users, the extension recognizes which links were marked for embedding and replaces the link with new content.

That means that:
  • It does not interact with BBCodes in any way
  • It only applies to URLs that phpBB would otherwise transform into link
  • It doesn't attempt to replace links posted with the [URL] BBCode :arrow: you can post a link to YouTube and ensure it doesn't turn into a video
  • It only applies to message posted or edited after the extension is installed
  • If you uninstall the extension, you still get the magic link. No more embedded videos, but the link is still there. If you do you get a bit of junk in the form of an HTML comment too, not that it matters.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ok, for those that were wondering. the "www" directory is just an alias that points to the "public_html" directory.
the files/folders are not duplicated it is just that both links will take you to the same place.

this is how many many, if not most, web servers are setup and has been so since I started back in the dinosaur days of the early 90's.

you know, back when dirt was young.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Trout Anglers NW

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:ok, for those that were wondering. the "www" directory is just an alias that points to the "public_html" directory.
the files/folders are not duplicated it is just that both links will take you to the same place.

this is how many many, if not most, web servers are setup and has been so since I started back in the dinosaur days of the early 90's.

you know, back when dirt was young.

robert
Something about the 'www' folder. Right after starting the board (few weeks ago) I added a 'favicon' into the appropriate folder inside 'public_html'. The file automatically went to the same location inside the 'www'. I didn't like the first 'favicon' so I made another and gave it the same file name. I uploaded it on top of the existing 'favicon' of the same name in the 'public_html' directory effectively replacing the original file.

After dumping cookies, etc, etc, in two different browsers I could not get the new (2nd) 'favicon' to display. The pages stayed with the original 'favicon'. Finally, I uploaded the 2nd 'favicon' directly into the appropriate folder located in the 'www' directory. It worked, and problem solved.

So, my guess is because I named the 2nd replacement file by the same name it did not refresh itself into the mirror folder inside the 'www' directory. But then, i don't know much about this stuff so maybe I am wrong about the reason???

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”