[ABD] Empty Subjects On Reply

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
___Martin

[ABD] Empty Subjects On Reply

Post by ___Martin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Important: This extension has been merged into a new extension.
Please visit the topic of the new extension: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2287691

Extension Name: Empty Subjects On Reply
Author: ___Martin

Extension Description: Empties the 'Subject' when replying to a topic, i.e. no more Re: <topic title> subjects for every post.

Extension Version: 1.0.0-beta1.

Requirements: phpBB 3.1.2

Features:
This is a really small extension with just two functions:
  • When a user clicks the "Reply" button in a topic, the "Subject" field is emptied. The user may manually enter a subject if he wishes to.
  • Also empties the 'Subject' field in the Quick Reply box if this feature is active.
The purpose of this extension is to remove the default subjects with the value Re: <topic title> that are prepended to every post, as some users may feel annoyed by them.

The extension has no configuration in the Admin or User Control Panel.

Development Repository: https://github.com/Martin-G-/EmptySubjectsOnReply

Extension Download:
Download at the development repository linked above via the "Download ZIP" button.
Create the following folder structure in your board, and extract the files and folders from the downloaded ZIP file there: /ext/martin/emptysubjectsonreply.
Activate the extension in the Admin Control Panel (ACP) on the Customise > Manage Extensions page.

Caution: This extension is still in beta status. Please do not use this extension on production boards without testing.

Recommendation: If you like this extension, perhaps you might also take a look at this extension: Custom Last Post.
Last edited by ___Martin on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wolfsblvt

Re: [BETA] Empty Subjects On Reply

Post by Wolfsblvt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Great!
I really need that on my forum. Thank you for this (:

Just a question I have faced in 3.0.x with this: What will happen on index page with the topic titles? I don't know if it uses post title or post title.
Can you confirm that there still will be displayed the topic title?
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote:Just a question I have faced in 3.0.x with this: What will happen on index page with the topic titles? I don't know if it uses post title or post title.
Can you confirm that there still will be displayed the topic title?
Do you mean the Last Post links that appear (prosilver style) on the right side on index.php?
If yes, then you are right - phpBB uses the subject of the last post there to create a clickable link. If the subject of the last post is empty, there will be no link (but the name of the author of the last post, and a small icon which leads to the last post).
But since the author can deliberately empty the subject of his post, this is a common problem that arises even without this extension.

To workaround this, I created a further small extension that I plan to release soon. :)
In that extension, the admin can configure the Last Post link to
  • display the last post subject (phpBB default)
  • title of the topic that contains the last post
  • last post subject; if this is empty, display title of the topic instead
Watch out for [BETA] Custom Last Post.

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Great! That's what I wanted to hear ^.^
And that's what I wanted to ask.

So if these are to different extensions, I have no problem with it (:
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

Holger

Post by Holger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:17 am

Also, what happens in the search results? Dont they show the post subject?

Dannie*

Post by Dannie* » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I wanted this ext, I will add it soon :3.

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Holger wrote:Also, what happens in the search results? Dont they show the post subject?
Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
Yes, in the search results the post subjects are displayed. If a post does not have a subject, the post is displayed in the search results as usual, just without a subject.

This extension does only empty the subject field when replying to a topic. As anyone replying to a topic can do this manually (empty the subject field), the extension does not affect the search results.

Holger

Re:

Post by Holger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm

___Martin wrote:Yes, in the search results the post subjects are displayed. If a post does not have a subject, the post is displayed in the search results as usual, just without a subject.
But the subject is the link to the post in the search result, I think. No subject, no link?

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Ah, now I see. At last in the default prosilver style, there is a "Jump to post" link in the bottom right corner for every post in the search results that you can use. The link is identical to that one on the post subject.

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:38 pm

___Martin wrote:Ah, now I see. At last in the default prosilver style, there is a "Jump to post" link in the bottom right corner for every post in the search results that you can use. The link is identical to that one on the post subject.
Hmh. Couldn't you change the link in the search results to contain the topic title, if there is no post title?
That would be much better for navigating through search results. Otherwise I can't use this mod. You can't see from wich thread the posts in the results are.

Holger

Post by Holger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote:Hmh. Couldn't you change the link in the search results to contain the topic title, if there is no post title?
That would be much better for navigating through search results. Otherwise I can't use this mod. You can't see from wich thread the posts in the results are.
+1

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea! I will see if this is possible and implement it then. :)

See https://github.com/Martin-G-/EmptySubje ... y/issues/1.

wiroj

Post by wiroj » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:18 am

Maybe add Option to hide Quick Reply Subject

I think suject for topic no need to change when reply

___Martin

Post by ___Martin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:43 pm

This extension was merged into a new extension, please see: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2287691

I implemented an ACP option in the new extension to modify the search result title if the post subject is empty. Also you can choose now seperately if the subject field shall be emptied when replying to a topic and when using the quick reply editor.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”