How to move a forum when host refuses database?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
carsten88888

How to move a forum when host refuses database?

Post by carsten88888 »

We've had a lovely hobby forum for years, but now we are ready to move our free-hosted forum to our own website. But the host of the free forum does not want to give us, or sell us, the database. We are willing to pay for our own content, but as we can not buy it, we feel like our content is taken hostage.

We managed to download the forum as html pages. So far I have not found a script that can import from html, so I'm stuck there.

Are there other options to import-export when the host is unwilling to cooparate?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: How to move a forum when host refuses database?

Post by Oyabun1 »

Since the database contains the data which is the forums. topics, posts, users, permissions and other settings without it you don't have much. There is a [CONVERT] Crawler Converters (Forumer, ZetaBoards, etc.), but it requires an old version of Python and hasn't been updated for some years.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start with that python thing.

In the admin of the forum I can make a widget. Can I paste a code to make a backup?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Do you know the database credentials or have access to the config.php file of the forum?
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Do you know the database credentials or have access to the config.php file of the forum?
no I'm just administrator on a forum hosted with software from forumotion.com. So I can't upload any phpbb extensions or see db stuff.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Then you are, pardon, screwed.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Then you are, pardon, screwed.
With free forums like ProBoards and the one he mentioned. You are pretty much stuffed, that is how they operate letting you run a free forum but with no way of getting the database later from them if you want to go host your own site for it
david63

Post by david63 »

Does the free host in question have paid for service? If they do then that might be route to pursue - pay for hosting, get the database and then move somewhere else.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

Yes, I think we are.

We've downloaded the whole forum as html pages, so I hope I can find a script to transfer that into a database.

Our forum is hosted at actieforum.com (dutch language sorry). As far as I can see there is no way to upgrade. Someone also emailed about buying the database, but they would not sell us the content. The backend help links to forumotion.com, so I assume its their software version op phpbb.
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

carsten88888 wrote:Yes, I think we are.

We've downloaded the whole forum as html pages, so I hope I can find a script to transfer that into a database.

Our forum is hosted at actieforum.com (dutch language sorry). As far as I can see there is no way to upgrade. Someone also emailed about buying the database, but they would not sell us the content. The backend help links to forumotion.com, so I assume its their software version op phpbb.
They make money from ads displayed in your content and why they won't sell you the database most likely.

There have been some scripts knocking around in past that could scape your content but they don't allow that and those type of scripts are usually old and don't work anymore. There used to be one for doing it with ProBoards sites, or so I read another person say.

Only thing to do is copy and paste all content adding member accounts you create (same names) on new forum and then invite all members later from the free forum to go join new one and reset their password given having same content copied to them from free forum
david63

Post by david63 »

Having just been reading their site two things attracted my attention.

The first is that according to their terms of service they do have some paid for services (although I could not see any mention of what they were.

The second is that they offer an import service for existing boards. This is not something that I have any experience with so I really cannot say how it works. But if they off such a service then it is possible that others do as well, so if you could find a suitable host that would import your forum from then they might be more amenable to letting you have the db.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

david63 wrote:The second is that they offer an import service for existing boards.
Read that also but there is no mention of being able to export your database. They also fail to mention in TOC anything about them not offering the database export option.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

If you do not know how to use the convertor, see if you can get someone to do the convertor for you.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I found this here, it's very old topic but has a download attached to it for forummotion.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505
carsten88888

Post by carsten88888 »

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”