We've had a lovely hobby forum for years, but when we were ready to move our free-hosted forum to our own website, the host of the free forum did not want to give us, or sell us, the database. We were willing to pay for our own content, but as we could not buy it, we felt like our content was taken hostage. So I scripted this import script to reclaim our own content.
FORUMOTION IMPORTER v1.0.1
How it works:
1. download the old forum as HTML with HTTrack Website Copier from http://www.httrack.com
2. upload this script to the new forum
3. upload the HTML files
4. run the script.
It will loop through all the html and insert the forums, topics, posts and users (but no passwords! see 11).
1. login to your old forum and set your profile date format to '2015-01-13, 14:16' and language to english.
2. login to the admin panel (ACP) on the old forum and copy-paste all the users (select whole username+email column) into a spreadsheet. You can then add a column containing just a comma (,) between the username and email column. Then copy-paste to configuration.php at $usernames_emails, so you get a list with usernames and emails, each on a new line, like this:
3. download the old forum as HTML with HTTrack from http://www.httrack.com
. Enter your login in the program so it uses the english language and the dateformat as set at 1. This will produce a folder(a). One of the folders inside will have the domainname of the forum (b). This folder contains all the html pages of each page of your forum.
4. edit configuration.php.
$folder = name of folder (a).
$folder_site = name of the folder containing the html files, folder (b)
5. edit helper.php. Enter the database details of the new forum.
6. upload this script to the new forum. The folder '_import' in the root.
7. upload the folder (a) into folder '_import'.
8. BACKUP YOUR DATABASE. Seriously. Backup the database of the new forum. The script is going to insert loads of data.
9. empty the tables forums, topics and posts using PHP myadmin.
10. delete all users you don't need. Make sure you leave 1 administrator (as all users are imported as normal users).
11. run the script. point your browser to yourdomain.com/_import/index.php and click 'start import'. This can take a while.
12. delete folder '_import' from the server
13. the users will be in the database, but not their passwords. You will have to send a mailing so all users so they can reset their password in the new forum.