vBulletin 3.8.4 to PhpBB3.1

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Jazzy22

vBulletin 3.8.4 to PhpBB3.1

Post by Jazzy22 »

Hello, and please if I have posted in the wrong section let me know.

Im wondering if anyone has taken all contents [posts, threads, users] from vBulletin 3.8.4 to new phpBB 3.1 and if so how it was done? would appreciate any help, tips, guidance
Last edited by Oyabun1 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from 3.1.x Support forum
FredQ
Name: Fred Q

Re: vBulletin 3.8.4 to PhpBB3.1

Post by FredQ »

I don't know if this will work with vBulletin 3.8, but I can confirm it works on my instance of vBulletin 3.7.2

- Read the phpBB documentation about conversion: Convert How To (You need to install phpBB 3.1.2)

- Download the converter from there: vb3-to-phpBB3.1 and unzip it at the root of your newly installed phpBB.

Then you can run the conversion like described in the how-to.

and hopefully that will work for you! 8-)
My board (converted from vBulletin)
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

Hi Fred, e.a,

Good to see a new converter being implemented for vBulletin 3.7.
I am about to migrate a VBulleting 3.8.4 to phpBB (3.1?).

Has somebody maybe tested the converter already with 3.8?

Thanks,

Opper
FredQ

Post by FredQ »

I haven't heard of anything yet, you might be the first one :-)
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

Hi,

I am trying to run the converter, but it looks like I need to have the vBulletin installation on the same machine as the phpBB installation?

I thought it was just migrating the data from the database?

My vBulletin instance is hosted at one.com, which files to I need to copy to my local machine (where I have phpBB installed)?

Error I'm getting:
Could not find path to your former board. Please check your settings and try again.
» ../forums was specified as the source path.
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

I copied the vbulletin files over locally and not I can start the conversion.

However it fails quite quickly with an SQL query error about a missing table.

It looks like the converter doesn't pick up the table prefix I have entered (dbk_).

It tries to access the bbcode table, while it should access dbk_bbcode table.

Might not be a problem in the converter, but in phpbb convertor framework which doesn't pass the src_table_prefix paramter properly? I checked Firebug, and it does get submitted correctly on the form post.

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'diabeteskatten.bbcode' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT bbcodetag,bbcodereplacement,bbcodeexplanation,twoparams FROM bbcode

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 855
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 194
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/convertors/functions_vb3.php
LINE: 484
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/install_convert.php(1028) : eval()'d code
LINE: 7
CALL: vb_add_bbcodes()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/install_convert.php
LINE: 1028
CALL: eval()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/install_convert.php
LINE: 214
CALL: install_convert->convert_data()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/index.php
LINE: 409
CALL: install_convert->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/index.php
LINE: 289
CALL: module->load()
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

OK, so I changed line 483 of functions_vb3.php to hardcode the prefix in, and now it seems to work.

After the import however, my account doesn't seem to have admin rights.

I am not seeing the ACP link in the footer, so I think my permissions (or group membership?) are incomplete?

Should I put myself into the superadmin group by inserting a row into the user_group table?
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

Hi Fred,

First of all thanks for all the work on the converter!

It seems to have converted almost everything, with a few exceptions.

What I did:

* Install phpbb 3.1.3
* Upload converter files
* Upload vBulletin folder (../vBulletin)
* Export mysql database for vBulletin (hosted)
* Import mysql database from vBulletin (local)
* Modify functions_vb3.php to hardcode prefix for bbcode table.
* Ran the converter against this locally imported database.
* Make myself usetype=3 (founder).

Observations:

* Custom avatars are not converted?
In vBulletin these are BLOBS, in phpbb these are files on disk? No files created... Could this be a permission thing? After the import I couldn't upload avatars because of a permission issue.

* Picutres not converted?
The vBulletin has about 1500 pictures, where should these have gone? Again from BLOB to files on disk?
Or should I install the galley extension before the converter runs?

* Language settings for users not converted?
All users seem to be English. Could be because that's the only language by default in phpbb.
Could it work to first install the language pack before running the converter?

* Custom Profile pictures not converted?
Can't seem to find these pictures. Which extension should I install BTW?

* Custom signature pictures problem?
For some posts I am seeing a Warning: The signature picture extension is not installed.
I can't find any extension with that name or a related name. Which extension should I install?

Again thanks for the converter. If you want me to provide more info, or log some issues in github, just let me know!

Opper
FredQ

Post by FredQ »

Hi!

Thank you for your detailed reporting, that will help me improve the converter.

I think I know why all the pictures are not converted, and I should be able to fix it.

I will fix the bbcode bug.

About the language settings, yes you should install your default language before converting. My board is in English so I haven't had the problem, but I'll have a look if it can pick up the default language.

The signature picture extension is there: https://github.com/gouarfig/phpbb-easy- ... re-picture but it's only displaying the signature pictures for now, you can't upload them yet (I'll be working on it for my board)

About the founder issue, I wonder if vBulletin have changed the way it's managed in 3.8: can you have a look in the file "includes/config.php" and see if there's a config value like:

$config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators']
which should contain (at least) the id of your user.

Also can you tell me if your default group is named "Administrators" or a translation of it in your language?

opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

FredQ wrote:Hi!

Thank you for your detailed reporting, that will help me improve the converter.

I think I know why all the pictures are not converted, and I should be able to fix it.

I will fix the bbcode bug.
Thanks.
FredQ wrote: About the language settings, yes you should install your default language before converting. My board is in English so I haven't had the problem, but I'll have a look if it can pick up the default language.

The signature picture extension is there: https://github.com/gouarfig/phpbb-easy- ... re-picture but it's only displaying the signature pictures for now, you can't upload them yet (I'll be working on it for my board)
Thanks. I have very few users with signature pictures, so I might just remove the pictures.
FredQ wrote: About the founder issue, I wonder if vBulletin have changed the way it's managed in 3.8: can you have a look in the file "includes/config.php" and see if there's a config value like:

$config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators']
which should contain (at least) the id of your user.

Also can you tell me if your default group is named "Administrators" or a translation of it in your language?
the $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] entry has two users ids in it, the ids of the founders of the vBulletin forum, so that looks ok. Although these users did not get created as founder (usertype==3) in phpBB. I haven't logged in with those ids, because those are not my accounts and I don't have their passwords. So maybe the are marked as superadmin in another way?
I myself am an admin in vBulletin, but not in the list of specialusers.

It looks like the admin group in vBulletin is called "Beheerders", which is indeed a localized translation os "Administrators".
FredQ

Post by FredQ »

opperpanter wrote: It looks like the admin group in vBulletin is called "Beheerders", which is indeed a localized translation os "Administrators".
That is where the issue come from. I thought clever to map the vb defaults groups to the phpBB default groups, but I didn't think the default groups would also be translated. Silly me. :roll: Now I can either build all the new groups to phpBB (which will end up with all the default groups in double) or I can make a config file in which you will type the name of your default groups.

Let's try the second option first?
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

FredQ wrote:
opperpanter wrote: It looks like the admin group in vBulletin is called "Beheerders", which is indeed a localized translation os "Administrators".
That is where the issue come from. I thought clever to map the vb defaults groups to the phpBB default groups, but I didn't think the default groups would also be translated. Silly me. :roll: Now I can either build all the new groups to phpBB (which will end up with all the default groups in double) or I can make a config file in which you will type the name of your default groups.

Let's try the second option first?
Unless it's possible to detect the group names from the converter scripts, a config file sounds OK.
I guess the UI of the converter is pretty much fixed, so it will be too much work to ask some extra questions to get the group names and/or map them to the phpbb groups.

To be honest though, for me the user groups aren't too important. I have maybe 5 users I have to assign to some groups, that's it.

The picture thing is more important :)
opperpanter

Post by opperpanter »

Just noticed something else.

External urls in user posts (and signatures) are converted to something incorrect.

https://www.facebook.com/dchopmans/p...20008164758841 (in post body and signature)

gets converted to

http://192.168.1.100:81/phpBB3/**;//**; ... 8164758841
(displayed as **;//**;**;com/dchopmans/posts/320008164758841)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackiep25/ (in signature)

gets converted to

**;//**;**;com/photos/jackiep25/
FredQ

Post by FredQ »

opperpanter wrote: Unless it's possible to detect the group names from the converter scripts, a config file sounds OK.
I guess the UI of the converter is pretty much fixed, so it will be too much work to ask some extra questions to get the group names and/or map them to the phpbb groups.

To be honest though, for me the user groups aren't too important. I have maybe 5 users I have to assign to some groups, that's it.

The picture thing is more important :)
It would be possible somehow, but I need to get all the possible translations of the default groups... I'm not doing that :)

And you're right, the UI converter is fixed, I can't add any more field to it.

About the picture issue, this new version should have it fixed:
https://github.com/gouarfig/vb3-to-phpB ... stable.zip

You can also change the names of your default groups in the file convert_vb3_config.php
FredQ

Post by FredQ »

opperpanter wrote:Just noticed something else.

External urls in user posts (and signatures) are converted to something incorrect.
Wow! that's a weird one. Can you go in the vBulletin database and check how they look like inside?

(The signature field is signature in table usertextfield)

Return to “[3.1.x] Convertors”