Edit reason history

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Sanborn

Edit reason history

Post by Sanborn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:18 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if this would be an extension request, or if I'm just missing an option in the configuration.

If a user or a mod edits a post, then a reason can be given why a post was edited.
This will add a small footer in the post to show the post was edited, and for which reason.

If you edit the same post again later on, with another reason (or without a reason), then the first edit reason is overwritten and gone.

You only see that the post was edited 2 times, but you only get the last edit reason (if any).

Is there a way to keep the list of all change reasons in the small footer?
So something like:
Last edited by Sanborn on Fri Apr 10, 2015 08:42, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added some info
Reason: fixed a typo

Notice the "edited 3 times in total" and only two reasons given.
If no reason was given for an edit, I don't want an empty line in the reason history :)

I would like to have this option, to avoid that users simply edit and save (without changing anything) to erase the edit reason put there by a mod. We need to know if users violate guidelines at any time, without option for users to erase this.

Korkel
Name: Liz Aalderink

Re: Edit reason history

Post by Korkel » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:27 am

Like the idea, maybe with an mouse-over or dropdown option?
"If you lose your left arm, your right arm will be left."
“The most important property of a program is whether it accomplishes the intention of its user.”

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 pm

I don't believe that there is a choice for a user to put a reason when they edit their own post. I think that is only there if a moderator makes the edit.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Sanborn

Post by Sanborn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I don't believe that there is a choice for a user to put a reason when they edit their own post. I think that is only there if a moderator makes the edit.

robert
Oops, you're right, only mods/admins can put edit reasons.
But my scenario is still valid. If a mod edits a post and puts a reason for editing, then the user can edit his post put a space somewhere, and the edit reason from the moderator is gone. You only see that it has been edited multiple times, but you cannot see it was edited by a mod and for which reason.

Sanborn

Post by Sanborn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Korkel wrote:Like the idea, maybe with an mouse-over or dropdown option?
Sounds good to me :)
Anything that makes it easy to see the history in an easy way at any given time.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:03 pm

The main problem with such a system is that it is dependant upon those making the edits actually entering the reason and that reason being the correct one.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Maybe this can be done with the post history, wich I will be doing in the future.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

Bruninoit
Name: Bruno Andrew

Post by Bruninoit » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 am

Sanborn wrote: If a user or a mod edits a post, then a reason can be given why a post was edited.
This will add a small footer in the post to show the post was edited, and for which reason.
If you edit the same post again later on, with another reason (or without a reason), then the first edit reason is overwritten and gone.
You can see that ext: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2354286

Return to “Extension Requests”