[CDB][Official Extension] Collapsible Forum Categories

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Re: [ALPHA][Official Extension] Collapsible Forum Categories

Post by MattF »

Dragosvr92 wrote:
VSE wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:It would only need a theme for dark based styles. Just to fit any Dark styles in general.
You already did this for your TopicPreview extension, VSE. :)
No it doesn't. We will add theme specific styles because the colors are based exactly on the colors used by the style for a perfect fit. Besides, anyone who can open a file can open the css file and tweak the color codes to match their own styles if they want to support styles we do not support out of the box.
In your topicview Extension you have four themes. Light theme, Windows theme, Marcos theme and Dark theme. I dont think the Light, windows and Dark themes are based on any specific styles. They are just general themes that better fit Light or Dark themed styles. So, i dont see whats wrong if you would support these, out of the box. Add any other styles later :P
That is something completely different, and not applicable to this extension.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
MattF

Post by MattF »

^^ Aside from the fact that this extension will have no ACP settings, nor will it have the overhead of assigning "themes" to each style. I also said each style needs to have its own specific color settings to work with the style. But also, in addition to that, placement of the button is dependent on each individual style. Thus, each style that people will want to use this with will need to request a style update for the extension. And officially, only released styles will ever be added. But that does not mean people can't post versions they made for other styles for users to download and add.

This is just how extensions work. And you should be happy we aren't going to make just a prosilver version and ignore the rest! We already have a Prosilver Special Edition version, for example.

PS: Even some styles have their own built in version of this type of feature, so we wouldn't want to conflict with those either.

PS2: Style authors will be able to design the look of this for their own style too, and submit that to us, so it can look as the style author intends it to look in their design.
Holger

Post by Holger »

VSE wrote:
Holger wrote:Any chance that you add a filter to searchresults? Collapsed categories not to deliver search-results.
What????
:lol:

When collapsing a category I do that because I am not interested in the content or that part of the forum.

It would be cool if a forum search did not deliver results from categories that I have collapsed.
MattF

Post by MattF »

Holger wrote:
VSE wrote:
Holger wrote:Any chance that you add a filter to searchresults? Collapsed categories not to deliver search-results.
What????
:lol:

When collapsing a category I do that because I am not interested in the content or that part of the forum.

It would be cool if a forum search did not deliver results from categories that I have collapsed.
That's not what this extension is for. The purpose of this extension is to make the display of on-screen forums less cluttered on the index page, by hiding the forums you don't care about. This is purely a cosmetic add on.

If you don't want to see search results from forums you do not care about, don't select those forums in the Advanced Search page.
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Do you plan to implement "version checking" from admin cp for this mod. See it doesn't work with this one so far.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

mrgtb wrote:Do you plan to implement "version checking" from admin cp for this mod. See it doesn't work with this one so far.
Version check will be implemented as soon as this extension is officially released.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Wolfsblvt wrote:
mrgtb wrote:Do you plan to implement "version checking" from admin cp for this mod. See it doesn't work with this one so far.
Version check will be implemented as soon as this extension is officially released.
it is already included: https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/col ... r.json#L51 however, it seems version.phpbb.com is simply not updated yet. I poked some people to get it fixed.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

Wow this looks great, and I cannot wait for it to be launched since I know many people (including myself) will be using this.
advocatus

Post by advocatus »

I love this extension! It makes me even happier to see that this is an official one. :)
Hi, I'm advocatus and I own www.forumgames.in.
MattF

Post by MattF »

A new Alpha 2 version has been released. See the first post for link.

Alpha 2 is only for testing with the current development version of phpBB 3.1.5-dev. It will NOT work with phpBB 3.1.4 or earlier.

If you are running phpBB 3.1.3/3.1.4, then you should remain with the Alpha 1 release of this extension. However if you have the latest clone/copy of phpBB 3.1.5-dev then we welcome you to try testing the Alpha 2 of this extension.

Alpha 2 has also added style compatibility with:
Allanstyle-Subsilver
Arty Basic
Arty Black
Arty Digi
Arty Elegance
Arty Latte
Arty Simplicity
Orange BBEs
ProFormell
Prosilver Special Edition
SE Square
SE Square Left
We Universal
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Sounds good!!!

I'll try tomorrow. ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

MattF

Re: [ALPHA] Collapsible Forum Categories

Post by MattF »

Stoker 4.0 wrote:Nice to see this using cookies :)
Will there be a guide how to include this on other stuff on index like welcome messages, chat etc.
There is a guide up.
https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/col ... Extensions

However, it is meant for the current Alpha 2 release of CC, and phpBB 3.1.5-dev, and also only styles updated to 3.1.5-dev. So it's at the bleeding edge right now.
Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Re: [ALPHA] Collapsible Forum Categories

Post by Stoker 4.0 »

VSE wrote:
Will there be a guide how to include this on other stuff on index like welcome messages, chat etc.
There is a guide up.

However, it is meant for the current Alpha 2 release of CC, and phpBB 3.1.5-dev, and also only styles updated to 3.1.5-dev. So it's at the bleeding edge right now.
Great, thanks VSE :)
Electrix

Post by Electrix »

Hi, thanks for this great extension. I was wondering, if it would be possible to integrate this collapsing feature with the Recent Topics extension (or any other category-adding extension)? To make it clear: the "-" button is only displayed on regular categories, not on recent topics category. Is it possible to upgrade the extension to make it work, or I need to hardcode it somehow? Thanks.

Edit@javiexin: Awesome, thanks!
Last edited by Electrix on Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.“[A. Einstein]
javiexin
Code Contributor
Name: Javier

Post by javiexin »

Electrix wrote:Hi, thanks for this great extension. I was wondering, if it would be possible to integrate this collapsing feature with the Recent Topics extension (or any other category-adding extension)? To make it clear: the "-" button is only displayed on regular categories, not on recent topics category. Is it possible to upgrade the extension to make it work, or I need to hardcode it somehow? Thanks.
Already possible:
VSE wrote:
There is a guide up.

Return to “Extensions in Development”