[ABD] WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Wardormeur

[ABD] WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Post by Wardormeur »

Extension Name: Phpbb WP Unicorn
Author: Wardormeur

Extension Description: Allows communication and data transfer between phpbb & WP. Split in 2 plugins, one for WP, one for phpbb
Extension Version: 0.00001

Requirements: ?

Features:
WP-PHPBB-Unicorn (WP plugin)
  • - integration of phpbb classes
    - autopost to specific forum based on category
    - autologin aka SSO (single sign on) through phpbb login
    TODO:
    - do some auto-discovery path
    - support for images ?
    - better forum handling
PHPBB-WP-Unicorn (PHPBB plugin)
  • - integration of wp classes
    - aut-create users
    - assign phpbb groups to wp roles
    TODO:
    - do some auto-discovery path
    - rewrite the association to ensure group is valid
Extension Download: github.com/wardormeur/phpbbwpunicorn && github.com/wardormeur/wpphpbbunicorn

Hai folks. In my goal to update from 3.0 to 3.1 for tellementnomade.org, i'd come with the need to rewrite a bridge between WP & phpbb. To do so, i'm working on multiples plugins to get the 2 of them to interact in the smoothest way . Now that Phpbb got its own events, it wont be a "standalone" plugin like we could have seen through the laters plugins, and so will Wordpress. It means that actions that are supposed to be triggered will be through the CMS event, not "on the go when it's needed", that explains why there is 2 plugins. PHPBB stays the main source of information in both plugins (that says WP syncrhonize from phpbb, and not the opposite :)).
It is, actually ,a bit experimental: my goal is to make it robust, so that we rely a lot on core functions instead of rewriting them (which was mostly done because naming methods conflict, both pbpbb and wp not using namespaces) : to do so, i've done some "proxy class" (aka monkey patching) that are automated. You may encounter some stranges situations if the other cms path is not settled properly.

Thanks for anyone on whom i copied the sources (see links) & thanks to the folks on IRC :)
Feel free to give any feedback/yell/send datalove :)
Last edited by Wardormeur on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wardormeur

Re: WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Post by Wardormeur »

Just to give an update : im still on it and path configuration is working. However i'm having an issue regarding paths that makes it unusable atm (regarding the Wordpress part) :
when you include the common.php file, a container is created based on the path, creating some "container_slashdotdotslash [..]" in the cache directory etc. Whatever the name, it works for absolute path. However, here goes the side-effect : on Windows, the ":" character is not escaped, creating an invalid name for the container.
Using a relative path makes it also unsuable cause it would need some caching of the modified filesfor each level of hierarchy in wordpress url.
So either i dont support Windows, either i push a bugreport about the ":" character not being parsed (which i think is namespace related), either i find anoter way around (singleton/service-like for wordpress, idk)
On the phpbb Part, the plugin has been fixd, and works for creation and deletion of users, with a cleaner code. It also allows resync of all users and recache of wordpress files. I still need to work on configuration regarding the users created (roles) and how to sync avatar into wordpress (that uses gravatar, actually)
I will keep you updated :)
Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy »

yay
can't wait it
i hope the bridge will not conflict both extension
My diary, my notepad, and my life on
http://www.bonatius.com
Wardormeur

Post by Wardormeur »

Both extension works independantly, but together makes things happen :)
The phpbb plugin create users into wordpress, but the wordpress one (when path will be fixd ;) ) allows to use the phpbb session into a single sign-on
If you were speaking about old plugins options, please details what would be needed (and if possible a link to the plugin itself) so that i can make it interact with the on-going developed one
ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

good idea and useful ext. :idea:
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Hello,

Please edit your topic title with a prefix as outlined in Extension Development Forum Rules, section 3a. This will allow people to see the development status of your extension at a glance.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extensions Team
Wardormeur

Re: [DEV] WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Post by Wardormeur »

Done, my bad :)
(if i could say, i'd added it to the "forum rule" panel)
Wardormeur

Re: [DEV] WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Post by Wardormeur »

Wordpress plugin : now allows the login from the phpbb board, reactivation of every widget related, recovery of avatar from phpbb's avatar drivers
must do : auto-post article into phpbb

phpbb : removing of avatar handling, as done from wp (we dont stock it as wp stocks avatars as gravatar), support for default profile now works, ffs; refinin of full sync by removing bots (only user_type 0 & 3 are allowed)
must do : allows mapping of every roles, refine user process in order to reflect changes into WP (not only creation, but also update & deletion)

global must do : tests & looking for feedbacks
ATM : this is usable, however it's better to consider it as a beta instead of a RC
badbill

Re: [ALPHA] WP Phpbb Unicorn - bridges

Post by badbill »

Can you explain a little more on how each work? I'm looking for a plugin that will allow my wordpress site and my phpbb site to share users and have a single login on the wordpress site.

wordpress site is www.mysite.com and my phpbb site is www.mysite.com/forums so they now are working fine but i want to have one login.

What one would work for what i want to do your wordpress plugin or phpbb extention?

Thank you for working on this.
Wardormeur

Post by Wardormeur »

Actually, it's nearly what you want, except the users are coming from phpbb, not wordpress as you seem to want it. To get synchronization of users (from phpbb to wordpress), you need the phpbb plugin. To allow the login from phpbb, you need wordpress one.
On login from wordpress, it redirects into the phpbb login : if successful, then goes to the wordpress page. ofc, if you use the wordpress plugin alone without the phpbb, it wont login as the user doesn't exists.
badbill

Post by badbill »

Sorry to be a pain :D
So Phpbb will manage my users but the users will be able to log into the wordpress login and it will give them access to the phpbb site. Wordpress will not essentially have a database or manage users. I can manage access via the phpbb admin, correct?

so i can enable my login on wordpress and then when a user clicks on the forums and he is a valid user the will be allowed to the members only pages? and will be able to post comments on the wordpress posts?

A new member would have to resister on the phpbb site not the wordpress right?
Wardormeur

Post by Wardormeur »

badbill wrote: So Phpbb will manage my users but the users will be able to log into the wordpress login and it will give them access to the phpbb site.
Yes :)
Wordpress will not essentially have a database or manage users.
Users are replicated into Wordpress database, we need them considering the wordpress logic (roles & co)
I can manage access via the phpbb admin, correct?
ATM, only users registred & admin are duplicated into wordpress, into a default role. Mapping of groups into roles is into development .
so i can enable my login on wordpress and then when a user clicks on the forums and he is a valid user the will be allowed to the members only pages?
Not sure if i get the question, but if you refers to "members only pages" as a registred and logged wordpress user, yes.
and will be able to post comments on the wordpress posts?
Yes², considering the user is replicatd into WP database
A new member would have to resister on the phpbb site not the wordpress right?
Yep !
Sorry to be a pain :D
I feel less painful to work with users of plugin than communities themselves :mrgreen:
I recommend to try it on a test environment before going live, this is still an alpha
badbill

Post by badbill »

Awesome! I will be watching for updates and when your able to manage groups in WP as I do in PHPBB I will test it. I have paid members area that I need to keep.

thanks for your help and I will be monitoring the progress. Can't WAIT! lol
knockbeats

Post by knockbeats »

Very interesting plugins, would like to try them out, any chance you could provide some step by step installation instructions? thanks!
Rebell

Post by Rebell »

Hello and good luck to this project!

I hope to see a functional version here soon ;)
OLDSKOOLDEMOMAKER FORUMS : http://kickme.to/osdm
make demos like in the good old days on amiga or c64 without programming knowledge !

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”