[Poll] Community Choice: Next Official Extension

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre

Which official extension do you want to see

Poll ended at Tue May 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Advertisement Management
37%
Google's new reCAPTCHA
14%
Paypal Donations
40%
Welcome PM
10%

Total votes: 101

Xerographica

Re: [Poll] Community Choice: Next Official Extension

Post by Xerographica » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 am

I voted for the paypal extension. But my preference would be for the paypal payment to automatically put the money into the donor's forum wallet (FW). Then the donor could use the money in his wallet for micropayments.

The paypal extension is a good idea because it allows members to support the forum owner. The paypal extension combined with micropayments is a better idea because it allows members to support each other and the forum owner. A forum is only as good as its content... and content is created by the members. Allowing members to reward other members for the creation of valuable content will incentivize the creation of more valuable content and greatly increase the value of the forum.

Let's say that I use paypal to put $10 into my FW. If I spend the money on other members' posts... then my money is transferred to their FW. But if I spend the money on my own posts... then my money is transferred into the forum owner's wallet.

Spending money on a topic/post will increase the value of the topic/post. And a topic/post with a higher value will show up higher in the results when people sort by value. And everybody will want to sort by value. Everybody will want to see the most valuable post in a topic and the most valuable topic in a forum. If you've ever used disqus then I'm sure you've sorted comments by popularity. But value is infinitely more meaningful than popularity. This is because a disqus vote doesn't cost anything.

The front page of every forum will have 5 tabs....

24 hours, week, month, year, all time

The default will be the 24 hours tab. When you visit any forum you'll see the 20 most valuable topics (or posts?) that have been created in the past 24 hours.

I'm pretty sure that this is how the internet of the future will work. The most valuable content will be up front. Just like how printed newspapers would put the most important stories on the front page. With the internet of the future... people are going to want to see a website's most valuable content on its home page. And it will be up to the members of that website to use their pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters to designate/communicate the value of content.

So the two main benefits of paypal + micropayments can be summarized like so...

Better...

1. support
2. sorting

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Thu May 14, 2015 4:44 am

"Paypal Donations - Add donations with option to add users to groups based on payment"
There has been a lot of the conjecture going on about an official Paypal extension. So far we have only presented an option to accept donations, and optionally to allow members to be put into a group if they donate. IF we take it any further than that, it would most likely be only to allow for a recurring payment/subscription type of system to maintain membership in that donation/membership group. (Whether or not the group has access to private sections or not is entirely up to the board admin).

There are many payment methods out there, and PayPal is just one. Sites are able to use PayPal for a vast array of e-commerce purposes. Our intention with this extension will not be to give a forum some sort of e-commerce front end. That is simply too difficult, risky and fraught with liabilities that we will not expose ourselves to (any board admin could seek their own means of adding e-commerce to their site independently).

For us a PayPal donation extension is simply a nice, easy, common and flexible way to allow boards to find a way to boost some of their revenue to help offset their running costs, for example. We know many sites would like a nice, secure and simple way to ask their members to voluntarily donate money, and that is primarily what we are looking to fulfill with this extension.

Complete features of any extension selected by the results of this poll will be decided on by phpBB team members during planning and development.
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

ForoXL

Post by ForoXL » Thu May 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Paypal, of course.
http://www.ForoXL.com - Foro dedicado a temas generales

sakkiotto

Post by sakkiotto » Thu May 14, 2015 7:01 pm

I voted Advertisement Management.
it's very important for advertisement , monetization e more..........

supanet

Post by supanet » Fri May 15, 2015 2:33 pm

Paypal for me but what I would really like is the Multiple ranks not linked to user groups added to the list. :D

I know some of you will say this is not as important as the ones on the list and maybe your right but it seems like no one wants to take this extension on and to me and lots of other members it is important.

What's the point of having lots of different groups (including PayPal donators) if you can't assign them with different rank badges instead of been limited to one badge, why this was never integrated into the latest release of phpBB I cant understand.
As it stands now if I want to say, give one of my moderators an extra badge because he is also a supporter I have to combine the moderator and supporter rank into one rank in Photoshop so it is used as one rank (this can become a lot of work on large boards. :( )
Ok rant over :oops: I guess I will just keep bumping the request topic viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2281456&start=45 and hope someone takes it on

FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa » Fri May 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Hello,

Paypal Donations is my favourite :wink:

xXx
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

nero

Post by nero » Sat May 16, 2015 4:44 am

Paypal donation! Can you aswell as adding to a group, also make it able to be compatible with Caramel Cash (add cash to someone's account)?

Thanks VSE!

aduh
Name: Hans'

Post by aduh » Sat May 16, 2015 11:39 am

Why we can't get them all? :cry:
2012 APOCALYPSE NNC
gaming community
http://www.nonameclan.pl/2012

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat May 16, 2015 12:00 pm

aduh wrote:Why we can't get them all? :cry:
An official extension requires a lot of work.
So maybe you will see them all in the future, but we have to start somewhere, right? And we wanted to ask you all where you want us to start and wich extension you need most.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal » Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 am

My vote: Advertisement Management
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

Anv@r.all
Name: Anvar Stybaev

Post by Anv@r.all » Wed May 20, 2015 6:06 am

My vote: Pay Pal and Webmoney Donation and Yandex Money + Advertising Management (Auto purchase advertising) :D
[DEV/Beta] More extensions

Hopefully Google correctly translate my text// I do not support in private messages!

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 am

VSE wrote: The poll will last 2 weeks.
The complete features of the chosen extension will be defined once the poll is completed.
Well, the two weeks is up, looks like we have a winner 8-)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:01 pm

I find it a bit sad that out of almost 456k members only 101 (at the time of posting) have bothered to vote. No doubt the remainder will be the ones bemoaning the fact that their "essential" extension has not been created.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

igorbond

Post by igorbond » Wed May 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Well we have almost a draw, so that you can two to do )))

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed May 20, 2015 8:14 pm

david63 wrote:I find it a bit sad that out of almost 456k members only 101 (at the time of posting) have bothered to vote. No doubt the remainder will be the ones bemoaning the fact that their "essential" extension has not been created.
I would be willing to bet that close to 95% of those 456k members have only visited once or twice to get their problems fixed and have never come back unless they had another problem.

somebody actually told me once that they had a life other than phpbb. :shock: I know, I know, that is hard to believe but that is really what they said! :roll:

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”