Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dark_one321

Post by dark_one321 »

I drop kicked one once, it was a 333 e-machine. It worked much better after that. Darn Cyrix chip :twisted:
makc

Post by makc »

G-Dub wrote:
romans1423 wrote:
ryan444123 wrote:How about, I downloaded a .exe form the web and my dad got mad at me becuase it blew our brand new $1500 computer to high heavens. That day I will never forget!

It's possible for a program to destroy hardware?

I have heard of code that has the ability to ruin a hard drive without any physical damage being seen, used to get a replacement HDD from a manufacturer. However, most hardware will have it's own safeguarding.

Take CPU's for example, a motherboard will normally force a reboot if it gets too hot

I have heared that when you burn CD withoud leads, it makes CD-ROM head to go-go-go-go-go-off-the-surface and break CD-ROM. That's why you have no option to do that with modern software.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Don't forget that a program could set the refresh rate and resolution much much higher than a video card and/or the monitor can go, thus causing hardware damage

Anyway, in New zealand we have a 230 volt power grid (as opposed to the US 115 volt). The computer we got was imported from the US along with a lot of Dad's work machines. Because of this, the power supply can be changed from 230volt to 115 volt.

Now can you guess what happens when you switch a power supply to 115 volt, then plug it into the 230 volt mains?
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Anon wrote: Now can you guess what happens when you switch a power supply to 115 volt, then plug it into the 230 volt mains?

It goes twice as fast?
across the room

Dan
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Nope, pretty fireworks show though 8)
danb00

Post by danb00 »

the worst i done was install linux (that went ok) but i got my commands muddled up (me being a linux noob) so instead of deleting all files in ONE directory, i ended up deleting root with force and verborse commands
Opps

Another time
I was trying out my old server that was stuck away in the gargae (an old 486dx i think) And it was dusty as hell, i go to my mate, now this could explode when i plug it in. Sure enough it exploded, but it was a loud bang, but that was not all, The PSU came unscrewed (later found out due to rust) and it kind of bounced around the computer case.
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB
Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

I flooded my school network with 5000 connections that didn't exist and was down for 6 weeks.

It was an accident though, they shouldn't let 13 year olds lose with C++ acidents happen.
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

pulling his hair wrote: Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....

... you kicked a G5? Are you nuts? Seriosuly, that much moneys worth of equiptment, I'ld be wearing cotton gloves just to handle the power button.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

NeoThermic wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....

... you kicked a G5? Are you nuts? Seriosuly, that much moneys worth of equiptment, I'ld be wearing cotton gloves just to handle the power button.

NeoThermic

haha, but it aint that good in server compare to Linux.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

sonyboy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Kick my PowerMac G5... They are serious solid, G5 unharmed, no damage (not even a scratch :p), foot seriously sore....

NeoThermic

haha, but it aint that good in server compare to Linux.

despite being built upon and run behind the scenes by unix? i see.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

I know that it's based from Unix, but mostly I heard ppl using Linux for hosting, maybe this happen because Linux is secure, powerful, and free.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

sonyboy wrote: I know that it's based from Unix, but mostly I heard ppl using Linux for hosting, maybe this happen because Linux is secure, powerful, and free.

And here I thought we were discussing doing bad things to computers. We were talking about servers? My bad, I'll go delete my post. :P

Today, a buddy of mine messaged me, panicked. You see, he had two partitions on his computer, and formatted the one Windows XP wasn't on to install SUSE Linux in a dual boot configuration.

Thing is, I guess he forgot the dual boot detail, because he couldn't get back into Windows XP. His solution? He reformats the SUSE partition! So now he's got a borked XP install and a bootloader pointed to a non-existant Linux partition.

Then, when he inserts the Windows XP CD to go into the recovery console and rebuild his boot sector, oops... he doesn't know his administrator password.

Needless to say, he's reformatting everything right now. :lol:
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
danb00

Post by danb00 »

Kanuck wrote:
sonyboy wrote:I know that it's based from Unix, but mostly I heard ppl using Linux for hosting, maybe this happen because Linux is secure, powerful, and free.

And here I thought we were discussing doing bad things to computers. We were talking about servers? My bad, I'll go delete my post. :P

Today, a buddy of mine messaged me, panicked. You see, he had two partitions on his computer, and formatted the one Windows XP wasn't on to install SUSE Linux in a dual boot configuration.

Thing is, I guess he forgot the dual boot detail, because he couldn't get back into Windows XP. His solution? He reformats the SUSE partition! So now he's got a borked XP install and a bootloader pointed to a non-existant Linux partition.

Then, when he inserts the Windows XP CD to go into the recovery console and rebuild his boot sector, oops... he doesn't know his administrator password.

Needless to say, he's reformatting everything right now. :lol:

I doen that once, i wanted to destory one partition, but i killed of the wrong one, and i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO (but lucky for me i had ghost backups)
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

TC wrote: despite being built upon and run behind the scenes by unix? i see.

OS X isn't the best of server platforms; unsurprisingly, since it's a desktop UNIX, not a server UNIX.

Nothing wrong with using the G5 for a server, though. Apart from the price ¬_¬
super fun rainbow colour sig

Return to “General Discussion”