How to create a Friendly_urls.php without .htacces?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Darkness Seeker

How to create a Friendly_urls.php without .htacces?

Post by Darkness Seeker »

Good evening:

For these weeks, I've been exploring and tryng many extensions that were perfect for my phpbb forum. The thing, is that suddenly I noticed that their pages didn't work (404 errors from my hosting). I asked to my hosting and it was all because they erased my .htacces file and banned that files. Finally, they told me that I could create a "friendly_urls.php" and upload it where my old htacces was.

The problem, is that after been loocking and tryng many sistems and codes for all the morning, I still haven't got any idea of how to create a funcional "friendly_urls.php" for a phpbb forum.

Could someone help me to get out of this trouble?

PD: Sorry if my english is a bit low, I'm spanish.

Anticipated thanks.
david63

Re: How to create a Friendly_urls.php without .htacces?

Post by david63 »

Darkness Seeker wrote:I asked to my hosting and it was all because they erased my .htacces file and banned that files.
Why?

.htaccess is a perfectly legitimate file that most sites have for one reason or another.

If your host does not allow .htaccess files then it is time to find a new host.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Darkness Seeker

david63 wrote:
Darkness Seeker wrote:I asked to my hosting and it was all because they erased my .htacces file and banned that files.
Why?

.htaccess is a perfectly legitimate file that most sites have for one reason or another.

As they see it, it's dangerous by the possibilities of virus attac, what is stupid by my side. You are right, I should change the host, but by some reason i get errors every time that i export and imprt the database, so if i'm able to keep the host it will be better...
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as david said, there is no danger to having a htaccess file. just about every website has one. it's main purpose is to prevent the very things your host is saying it can cause. sounds like your host really doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

also, what the heck is a "friendly_urls.php" file? never heard of that before.

if you explain what you mean by getting errors when you try to export/import your database we can most likely help you with that problem and you can then move on to a host that knows what they are doing.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Darkness Seeker

(Remade) No .htacces possibility and URL's problems.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.5
What is your board's URL? http://khtcod.webcindario.com/index.php
Who do you host your board with? http://miarroba.es/
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed?
Caramel: Virtual Cash Extension
Last Post Avatar
Medals System
User ranks list
What styles do you currently have installed? WOWDraenor (with images modified)
What language(s) is your board currently using? Spanish (Casual Honorifics)
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Installing extensions and checking that they couldn't work properly by hosting / configuration errors.
Please describe your problem.

For these weeks, I've been exploring and tryng many extensions that were perfect for my phpbb forum. The thing, is that suddenly I noticed that their pages didn't work (404 errors from my hosting). I asked to my hosting and it was all because they erased my .htacces file and banned that kind files. Finally, they told me that I could create a "friendly_urls.php" and upload it where my old htacces was.

The problem, is that after been loocking and tryng many sistems and codes for all the day, I still haven't got any idea of how to create a funcional "friendly_urls.php" for a phpbb forum.

There's any way to create an "friendly_urls.php" functional for phpbb forums or something that could help me with this Url's problem?
Generated by SRT Generator
Darkness Seeker

Mick wrote:Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Of course, sorry for the error: viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2324901
k0nsl
Name: Eduard Drehner

Post by k0nsl »

If you can't do your own backups, ask your host to take a database dump for you. After that, find a new host.

I think it is against the forum rules to discuss hosts, or even give advice about it. So I will simply hope you find a good host.. :?

Best wishes,
-k0nsl
Darkness Seeker wrote:
david63 wrote:
Why?

As they see it, it's dangerous by the possibilities of virus attac, what is stupid by my side. You are right, I should change the host, but by some reason i get errors every time that i export and imprt the database, so if i'm able to keep the host it will be better...
I'm a programmer, server administrator, designer, spokesman and factotum of a wide-variety of web pages.
Khaos-Rage

Re: (Remade) No .htacces possibility and URL's problems.

Post by Khaos-Rage »

I would just advise you to get a new host if they don't allow .htaccess at all.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: (Remade) No .htacces possibility and URL's problems.

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

we still don't know what a "friendly urls.php" file is. there is no such thing in phpbb.

as far as that goes, you dont' need any type of "friendly urls" in phpbb to start with.

phpbb's urls are just fine as they are. google has no problem with them at all and changing them will only cause you problems and will not help with your SEO .

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Darkness Seeker wrote:I still haven't got any idea of how to create a funcional "friendly_urls.php" for a phpbb forum.
It isn't part of standard phpBB, and since your host is suggesting it you should ask them how to create it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

You should also make sure you haven't got:
ACP > GENERAL > Server Configuration > Server settings > Enable URL Rewriting set to Yes
because without the mod_rewrite being enabled on the server, which is unlikely if the host doesn't allow a .htaccess file, URLs will be broken.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Darkness Seeker

Hi

I finally decided to change my host for someone better with the htacces permited. Thanks to all of you for your help, my problem has been solved. You can close this topic whenever you want.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”