[3.1][3.2][RC] Survey

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Ithron

[3.1][3.2][RC] Survey

Post by Ithron »

Extension Name: Survey
Author: Ithron

Extension Description: This Extension adds the possibility of performing surveys with multiple people to your topics.

This Extension is intended to be fully backwards compatible to the existing phpBB 3.0.x Mod "tabulated survey at topic head" from the asinshesq (see here) for upgrades, but includes additional features.
It is, however, a complete rewrite.

Extension Version: 1.1.2

Features:
  • Topic poster can create a survey and add questions
  • Users can answer the questions
  • Multiple configuration options for the survey (allow multiple answers, allow users to edit, visibility settings, orderings, stop-time, ...)
  • Multiple options for questions (different types, counting/summing up/averaging answers,settings caps, ...)
  • Moderators can edit answers of other users, if the corresponding permission is set
  • Admins can configure default settings via ACP module
  • Old data from the phpBB3.0.x mod is imported upon installation time automatically. The old data gets removed from the phpBB database.
  • English and German language.
Screenshots: (Klick here for more...)

Extension Download: https://github.com/kilianr/phpbb-ext-survey

Usage:
  • Upon topic creation or when editing the first post of a topic, you can enable the survey by clicking the checkbox.
  • After submit, you see the survey at the top of the topic. Use the "propose new questions" tab to add questions.
  • Users can answer the questions by filling out the form
Last edited by Ithron on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
LordOfFlies
Name: Matěj Štágl

Re: [BETA] Survey

Post by LordOfFlies »

Nice work. :)
May you be so kind and explain how it works more in depth please?
I tried it and created "survey", ext is throwing SQL errors when wrong values to new question are provided.
This can be easily fixed by try-catch construction. Also, what are we supposed to fill in these textboxes?

+1 from me.
Ithron

Post by Ithron »

Yes, so far you can really only fill out the label field :-)

It is planned that you can specify different types of questions such as "text field", "checkbox" "drop-down-menü" and so on. In the last case, you can specify the choices, in all cases you can specify if you want to display a sum over all the answers for that specific question. In case of "test field" e.g., you would provide a string to compare with "e.g. 'yes'" in order to count positive responses.

Right now, all the inputs in the "new question" tab are still only there to have them somewhere. Most of them will change to a concrete option-selection when I implement it. So that is also why you get all those sql errors for now.
LordOfFlies

Post by LordOfFlies »

Nice, thanks for explanation.
Things that are you saying are really nice. I have few ideas too, so here they are.

It would be nice to have "survey" or "test" below post itself. That´s extremely useful for tests.
After user completes test or survey, it will be accessible for him /she after some time period (6 months fe.)
Some finnal statistics would be nice too. Percentage based ranking.
Option to randomly switch answers position. For example, lets have a question:
"1+1 = ?"
Now there are four checkboxes:
Their position would randomly change when test begins.
Time limit would be very nice too.
Option to increase post number (it´s experience fe. on my board) based on % of right answered questions.

Sadly, I am desktop developer (C#) and I don´t know PHP, so I can´t help you.
If you implement ideas which i mentioned, your extension will completely move phpbb possibilities.

Best regards from me.
Ithron

Post by Ithron »

Let me comment on that:
  • Questions like "1+1 =" will be no problem, as long as they are static. I will not be possible to display different questions to different users.
  • The owner of the survey will be able to hide the results from users and close it some point. Then, you can of course also unhide the results. So what you suggest should be possible.
  • Statistical results will be covered by the sums. In case of explicit choices, it is planned that for each choice, the number of users who picked that choice will be available.
  • Random ordering of answer positions is not planned. This would not be too difficult to implement though. I will have to see if this would drive the extension too complex for users (I don't want too many possible settings for questions because you loose track of what you can set).
  • A time limit for answering will most likely not be implemented by me, at least not in the near future.
  • "Rewards" or something for users will definitely not happen. Increase of post counter is in my opinion a bad idea because this is not what the post counter is about. If your board is using some other reward measure, it would certainly not be too difficult to link that. But it will not be included in the extension itself.
One programming language isn't so much different from the other, really ;-) (as long as we are talking imperative languages...). So just give php a try. If you want a nice programming experience though, I would not recommend you to use php but better move to python (for web-apps, e.g. django is great)... but I guess that is just much off-topic right now :-)
LordOfFlies

Post by LordOfFlies »

Awesome. :)

1) Yes, questions will be static.
4) I quess one checkbox "randomize order of answers" would do the job. Keep it simple. :)
5) Well, it is even possible?
6) Sounds like I have a job.

In fact I am a game programmer, targeting windows, android, iOS, mac and linux primary. When I had to do some web minigames, I did that via JS (Jq, Angular). I am learning PHP just for a half a year. I don´t like that language much. I used Python just for breaking some CMes. :D
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Looks great; can you post screenshots please?
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Ithron

Post by Ithron »

The extension is now finished. I raised the version to 1.0.0-b2 in order to get some feedback. In a week or so, I want to go release candidate and maybe submit the extension for validation at the end of the month.

@Jessica: I made some screenshots, they are linked in the first post :-)

Feel free to try out the extension. If you had the phpBB3.0.x survey mod installed, the data will be converted to the new extension. Backup your data first, because the old data from the mod will be deleted after the installation of the extension!

For those you were using the mod, some remarks:
  • The UI is completely different. You only need to edit the first post in order to enable the survey. Everything else is done directly "at the survey". Just install it and you will see what I mean :-)
  • The various style options (line skips between answers, width and heights of the survey and so on) are not part of the extension. They never felt right to me, so I decided to drop them.
  • Permission to answer a survey is no longer configured by enabling groups directly. Instead, there is now a forum-permission (f_survey_answer) for that.
  • This extension is a complete rewrite. I didn't use any code at all from the old mod. So it might feel different, because it is :-) Please be open to the change but also feel free to suggest improvements here ot at github.
piatachki
Name: Vasily Batishchev

Post by piatachki »

Author, good work!

Will be new language strings added?
Ithron

Post by Ithron »

piatachki wrote:Will be new language strings added?
As long as we are not RC but beta, it might be possible that the language still changes, if that is what you are asking. Of course, the changes will be easy to track checking the history of the files on github.

If you are asking about translating the extension to other languages, I'm open to include further languages. It would be best to open a pull request on github for any changes or additions to the code (may it be languages or something else).
LordOfFlies

Post by LordOfFlies »

When the extension will be in beta stage i´ll create czech and slovakia translation.
You are doing great work. :)

Ps: I´ve started with PHP, now I have many ideas how to improve Survey ext, expect pull request soon.
Ithron

Re: [RC] Survey

Post by Ithron »

I've just pushed release candidate 1: The version is now 1.0.0-rc1.

No more features will be added in the upcoming version 1.0.0, only bugfixes and new languages will occur.

So be sure to give it a try. After approx. two weeks in a stable state (no new bugs discovered) I want to go for submission into the extension database.
Alex Grigoras
Name: Grigoras Alex

Post by Alex Grigoras »

Ithron wrote:After submit, you see the survey at the top of the topic. Use the "propose new questions" tab to add questions.
This works only with the Prosilver Style.

I tested with Elegance, Aero, Simplicity Style and it doesn't work. I didn't see any tabs of the survey.
Hel92

Post by Hel92 »

Nice work, Ithron!

I've been using it for some weeks now and it is working fine.

One suggestion, for the future releases: it would be nice to have the possibility to assign points to the answers and have the total per user, something like

Question 1
Answer 1.1 (3pts)
Answer 1.2 (0pts)
Answer 1.3 (-3pts)

Question 2
Answer 2.1 (5pts)
Answer 2.2 (-1pts)
Answer 2.3 (3pts)

Supposing I reply with the answers 1.2 and 2.3, my total should show 3, Mister X replying with the answers 1.1 and 2.1 sould have a total of 8

Thanks for the good job done so far.

P.S. I can provide you the italian translation if needed.
Ithron

Post by Ithron »

Alex Grigoras wrote:
Ithron wrote:After submit, you see the survey at the top of the topic. Use the "propose new questions" tab to add questions.
This works only with the Prosilver Style.

I tested with Elegance, Aero, Simplicity Style and it doesn't work. I didn't see any tabs of the survey.
What do you propose? I cannot test this extension with all existing styles. It would be helpful if you could test, if the style-template is also working with other styles than prosilver.

@Hel92: sure, feel free to translate! :-)

Return to “Extensions in Development”