Can we convert a pbpBB 3.0 style to 3.1 ?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Scam Warning
oorzaak

Can we convert a pbpBB 3.0 style to 3.1 ?

Post by oorzaak »

Hi,

I have no experience with phpBB, though I am an experienced user of several other web platforms (for example Joomla). As such, I was asked to help some friends with upgrading their forum from phpBB 3.0 to 3.1.

On a local test server (MAMP) I managed to get the upgraded forum running. However, I understood that the style that is used in 3.0 will not work in 3.1.

Is there a way to convert the current 3.0 style to 3.1 or do we need to rebuild the style from the start? The name of thestyle is 2Unilever and there are some custom colors and images involved. These were set up by someone who is no longer available for this help with this upgrade.

Kind regards, Frits

Skysect
Name: Cenk Aslan

Re: Can we convert a pbpBB 3.0 style to 3.1 ?

Post by Skysect »

Firstly you must find your style's branch , subsilver2 or prosilver based . Later you could find code upgrades for both styles .

oorzaak

Post by oorzaak »

Thanks for your reply. In the style itself I cannot find this type of reference, but with some googling I found this page: http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/2Unilever?lang=nl where it says that it is based on subsilver2.

Frits

Skysect

Post by Skysect »

It seems last version for phpBB 3.0.7 . you can apply them for https://area51.phpbb.com/code-changes/3.0.7/ 3.0.14 then you must upgrade to 3.1.x . But I can't find those code changes :(

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

The conversion of a 3.0 style to 3.1, whilst not impossible, will be somewhat laborious and time consuming. I believe there are something in the region of 12k lines of code changes.

You are far better off finding a style that is as close to what you want and then creating a child style of it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

oorzaak wrote: Is there a way to convert the current 3.0 style to 3.1
No. There is not a way to convert a 3.0 style to 3.1.
Skysect wrote: code changes
There is no practical "code changes" to convert 3.0 to 3.1.

oorzaak

Post by oorzaak »

david63 wrote:You are far better off finding a style that is as close to what you want and then creating a child style of it.
Seems like this is the answer that I was looking for. Thanks!

I took a look at this page: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... _styles-12, there are quite a few options to choose from... Would you have any general advise, like "better take a Prosilver based style" (and why)? And how about responsive display on smaller devices?

Frits

Skysect

Post by Skysect »

But I saw some people converted their styles . Then they know what changes made into the subsilver2 or prosilver

for example :

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/animezone/

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

oorzaak wrote:Would you have any general advise, like "better take a Prosilver based style" (and why)?
I would definitely go for prosilver as the base for several reasons:
  • It is responsive
  • It is the "base" style for phpBB and is therefore well supported. All extensions have to work with prosilver styles
  • It is rumoured that subsilver will be being dropped in the not too distant future
oorzaak wrote:And how about responsive display on smaller devices?
One of the main features of phpBB 3.1 is its responsiveness on all devices without the need to have multiple coding
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Skysect wrote:But I saw some people converted their styles .
No.
They simply started with the new 3.1 prosilver or subsilver2 files and then altered them to look like their old style.

Skysect

Post by Skysect »

Brf wrote:
No.
They simply started with the new 3.1 prosilver or subsilver2 files and then altered them to look like their old style.
But I already saying same thing :D What I did for my 3.0.x styles . Took a new version of subsilver2 . I know all changes . Then reapplied them to the new version of subsilver2 .

oorzaak

Post by oorzaak »

Thanks for all your replies, I'll discuss this with my friends.

Kind regards, Frits

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Skysect wrote:
Brf wrote:
No.
But I already saying same thing :D What I did for my 3.0.x styles . Took a new version of subsilver2 . I know all changes . Then reapplied them to the new version of subsilver2 .
that is not the same thing as "converting" a 3.0 style to work in 3.1

you are just recoloring etc. a 3.1 style to look like a 3.0 style. not the same thing.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Skysect

Post by Skysect »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Skysect wrote:
Brf wrote:
No.
that is not the same thing as "converting" a 3.0 style to work in 3.1

you are just recoloring etc. a 3.1 style to look like a 3.0 style. not the same thing.

robert
Isn't all styles already recolored versions of subsilver and prosilver with some modifications ? you can't build them from scratch :S

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

The point is that you are saying there would be "code changes" to change a 3.0 custom style to the 3.1 version, and we are saying there are not.
If there is a 3.0 and 3.1 version of the same custom style it is because the author revamped the custom style so there is a 3.1 version that looks like the 3.0 version. There would not be any easy "code changes" to change the 3.0 version to the 3.1 version.

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”