Friendly or Pretty URLS

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
MESWEB

Friendly or Pretty URLS

Post by MESWEB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I need SEO friendly urls or pretty urls looking like this
domain.com/forumname/threadname
without any id.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Friendly or Pretty URLS

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:38 pm

no you dont. there is nothing wrong with the urls the way they are.
there is no appreciable SEO benefits of so called "pretty/friendly" urls
do some research and make sure you are looking at current research , not stuff that is several years old.

also, there are no threads in phpbb . you have categories/forums/topics/replies

no threads.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

MESWEB

Post by MESWEB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Yes I need and you are wrong. I need change my url to any url with specific keyword. This is simple proof - try search something on google and watch close in bold keywords in url. So don't try me say "Our url are fine". No PHPBB url are not fine:
index.php?f=23
is ok? Don't be ridiculous. I prefer other links like:
domain/forumname/topicname

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 pm

...... oh no, here we go again.......

Do a search on here for SEO. It gets asked over and over and over.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:37 pm

what shows up in the google results like that doesn't have anything to so with your SEO ranking etc.

you don't have to believe me or anyone else here, go ask google how much weight they place on so called "friendly urls.

spend your time working on what does matter to google. content. keywords in places that they do place a lot of weight like the content, like h1 tags which would be things like forum names, topic subjects etc.

you are working with old information. a long time ago, google etc. had a problem with urls like what any php based site uses. that was long ago and google is much smarter now.

luck,
robert

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:07 am

Look at the link in my sig to see what Google have to say about 'friendly' URL's

MESWEB

Post by MESWEB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Don't kidding me :lol:. I want friendly url not for google bot or any bots but for peoples. If url don't matters so why phpbb.com don't change to: djkdsfbfsklfkas.com ?? Urls are very importal thing of web applications because when You want tell someone about some page You better remember links like this: phpbb.com/seo/how-to than link looks like: phpbb.com/viewpost.phpf=224345&t=433545435. So try remember this links and repeat when You will see Your friend and spell it to him. REMEMBER ANYONE NAMES ARE VERY IMPORTANT! Google don't care about ours links because computer remembers it in his memory but peoples use names for simple reason - our memory, we better remember any names like Christopher than Ddfjknfjkbsksfvkjx. So don't try change my thinking, better try help me and anyone here with links.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 pm

so you want to tell people to go to:-

https colon slash slash phpbb dot com slash community slash phpbb slash 3 dot 1 dot x underscore extensions underscore forum slash etc etc etc (I got fed up typing)

sending a link via text or email like this is far easier. https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2338036

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:35 pm

99.9% of people who use a form couldn't care less what the url is, and most of them don't understand them anyway.

I have no problem with anyone that wants "pretty" urls - that is their prerogative - but this it more a techie thing than a user thing.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 pm

MESWEB wrote:If url don't matters so why phpbb.com don't change to: djkdsfbfsklfkas.com
Seriously? I think you need to bone up on how the internet actually works.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:47 pm

remember, just because you think things should work a certain way does not mean that anyone else does and certainly does not mean that the majority of people do.

every time someone has created something that changes the urls to what you consider "pretty" all it really does is mess up the board in many different ways. google doesn't care and most people don't care.

people click on links they don't tell each other what a link is, they send them an email, or a tweet etc. etc.

if you want to tell somebody about a post on phpbb.com you send them to phpbb.com and give them a keyword or username and they will find it using the search much quicker than you telling them to go to phpbb.com/communtiy/keyword etc.

I agree, you need to learn a bit more about how the internet really works.

luck,
robert

MESWEB

Post by MESWEB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 pm

On the street better if I say friendly url than default. Look at simple play.google.com why google don't use a google.com/play? Because this second url is not friendly. I still prefer friendly url. Some times people send url without <a></a> tab so if someone send You or when You see else url lokking like this: phpbb.com/viewpost.phpphp?mode=reply&f=496&t=2338036 then You don't understand what is about or what hiding at this page but when You will see friendly link: phpbb.com/how-to-upgrade-windows then You know what You will see inside of this page and then You make decision to enter page or not. Peoples are lazy to inform You about what is on page at this link.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:00 pm

MESWEB wrote:play.google.com
MESWEB wrote:google.com/play
Perhaps you should do some research before posting. Those two quotes are two totally different things. One is a sub domain, the other is a folder within a domain and have nothing at all to do with "pretty" urls.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

MESWEB

Post by MESWEB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 pm

If google don't care about url so why he use friendly url itself? google.com/webmaster or google.com/adsense ?? Give me any help to friendly url not suggestions about bad friendly url. So can anyone help with this mod?

peopleopinion

Re: Friendly or Pretty URLS: "intermediate" solution proposal

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Online there are url shortening service that can help everyone to remember better very long urls replacing them with really shorter ones, if the problem is remembering them for people minds. Also some services allow to be implemented easily into the own board.

Anyway I'm doing just some little experiments with urls and I want to advance an "alternative intermediate" ( :| ) solution, not my intention to hijack the topic.

As everyone knows on phpbb boards all these urls work and they open the same page (in this case this topic):

Normal (bbcode is used):
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2338036

With in-page anchor (bbcode is used here too):
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2338036#p14217566

Short version to use when linking local or internal pages on the same site, (no bbcode):
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2338036

Short version with in-page anchor (no bbcode):
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2338036#p14217566

But they work perfectly even if the part "f=496&" is omitted, as it is possible to test here:

Normal (with bbcode):
viewtopic.php?t=2338036

With in-page anchor (with bbcode):
viewtopic.php?t=2338036#p14217566

Short version to use when linking local or internal pages on the same site, (no bbcode):
viewtopic.php?t=2338036

Short version with in-page anchor (no bbcode):
viewtopic.php?t=2338036#p14217566

I don't know exactly the meaning of the omitted part that starts with "f=" (f=496&) (maybe it refs to the forum ID?) and neither of the part that starts with "t=" (I suppose it refs to the topic ID?), but I'd be curious to understand it better. What I know is only that both versions work the same way (at least apparently) with or without f=496&.

In conclusion the questions are:
The part "f=496&" is really useful for what?
What about to remove from urls at least the part "f=496&"?
Although it is not a big improvement it could help or it is impossible because of something I don't know yet?

Thanks in advance.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Return to “Extension Requests”