Migrating Content phpBB -> phpBB

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
JJBAKER

Migrating Content phpBB -> phpBB

Post by JJBAKER » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:46 am

Good Morning Folks,

I run two independent (on different domains) phpBB sites (same version, style, templates and mods) and wish to move the content from one that will be shut down, into another, already existing forum. Is it possible to migrate topics from one database (not the users) to another or is this something I should try to hire out?

My hope would be to create a new category with one sub-forum on the arrival site and put all existing topics from the departure site into one sub-forum prior to moving. Mission Possible or Mission Impossible?

Thanks for any pointers!

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Migrating Content phpBB -> phpBB

Post by Oyabun1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 am

It is a far from simple thing to do because the duplicate user, post, topic, and forum IDs would need to be resolved.

There have been a few topics on this in the past, including, phpBB3 forum merger and Merge two phpbb3 forums.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

JJBAKER

Post by JJBAKER » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks. My plan was just a complete listing of topics (archive style, posts do not have to be editable or active topics, just secured content), no PM's or anything else - but I have two duplicate users and couldn't imagine if and how to get it done. Looks like lots of work, just to secure some 1200 posts...

:?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:13 pm

If the "old" board is just being retained for archive purposes then it may be an easier option to move it to the same site as the retained board but as a sub domain. You can then create a link from one board to the other and set the permissions on the "old" board to prevent posting.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:29 pm

A sibling or child folder would work as well.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”