"Your php forum software is using way too much resource

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Ultron

"Your php forum software is using way too much resource

Post by Ultron »

My host tells me that my forums are using too much system resource of the server.

Message from my host:
Dear customer,
Please do not reply to this email, as noone will receive it.
This email is to serve you notice of a load warning caused by a script running on www.beat-biz.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact tech support. The details of the load warning
are as follows:
Your php forum software is using way too much resources /home/beatbi/public_html/phpBB2 please use something else unless

Answer in the communitech clients area forums:
Most likely the only thing keeping your forum from being re-activated is changing the chmod properties for the folder it resides in.
However, the answer one of your other questions, how can you protect yourself in the future, you may want to check to make sure you are not using too many database connections as multiple connections causes the use of a lot of server resources.

Php based forums using databases have been known to cause system resource problems in the past.

If you are using flat based files for your forums, you may try taking a look at your code and seeing if there is something else that is eating up resources or taking a long time to process.

There are a number of things you can check. The above are just a few places to start.

Not sure how the rest of the email goes, so can't help you out there.

Answer from an admin:
There are some ways to try to reduce the amount of resources a php based bulletin board program uses. It is the same as with all forum software, except that some software is more customizeable than others.
You can reduce the number of images on each page. The more images there are, the more connections to the Apache server every client has to make. You can also reduce the number of threads or messages displayed on each page, making the connection to Apache shorter in time and use less memory.

If you can't make these changes to your bulletin board program, then you need to switch to something more cusomizeable.

Sorry about the brief load warning message. It is mainly meant as a curtesy warning to let you know there's a problem, and you are meant to contact tech support (or look in the forums) to find solutions. What I meant to say was you needed to fix the problem or find a different solution, and part of the message was cut off somehow.

What can I do? I Dont want them to suspend me!

Thank you

My Page is on Coummunitech.net

Server:
Libra is a powerful Sun Microsystems 250 Enterprise Server. Libra is running dual 296MHz UltraSparc II Processors, each with 2MB of Cache, and 2,048 MB of memory. Libra is running on Solaris 2.7 release 05/99 with Apache 1.3.3 and has over 100GB of drive capacity, running in a RAID-5 configuration

Forum is at: http://beat-biz.com/phpBB2/
We have 43 Users and less that 700 posts
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

You can follow both suggestions. You can reduce the number of graphics and you can keep your post pages short. Are you using the default page length now? That's adjustable in the admin controls. The images issue is more difficult, but if you're allowing local avatars, try disallowing them first.
Ultron

Post by Ultron »

Thank you

I've changed some settings:
no local avatars now
Topics per page: 20
Posts per page: 8

But is it possible that I'm using that much resource with such a small forum?

Ultron
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

I dunno. I suppose "too much" is relative. I mean, hosts probably don't use the same limits.

I will say that I think your host is doing the right thing by trying to help you solve the problem. Others have posted here that they've had their accounts suspended and that's the end of the story. No offer to help resolve the problem, no chance to resolve the problem given.

Hopefully the steps you taken will satisfy their requirements and everybody can be happy :) .
Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion »

How about enabling gzip compression??
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

Won't that just increase CPU resource use?
Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion »

uhh...will it?? I'm not an expert at this kind of thing but I thought it tended to reduce badwidth and the like.
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

I'm not either. :) I think compression raises CPU load a little while lowering bandwidth. It's possible too that compression isn't an option, depending on whether or not the host allows it.
Ultron

Post by Ultron »

I have unlimited bandwith.. but not cpu resource... as it seams..
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

Now that Black Fluffy Lion mentioned it, and since you have no bandwidth problem, you could disable compression in the admin controls, just on the outside chance your host permits its use. That'd maybe cut the CPU load another little bit if the server is in fact compressing the pages.
Ultron

Post by Ultron »

GZIP is disabled... since the start of the forums

Ultron.
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

Okay. Now we wait and see if the host is satisified by the results of the other changes. Let's hope.
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Ehm, excuse me, but is the forum the only thing that and the only forum on your site? Because
Unsere Benutzer haben insgesamt 669 Artikel geschrieben.
Wir haben 43 registrierte Benutzer.
Der neueste Benutzer ist yvi.
Insgesamt sind 3 Benutzer online: 1 registrierter, 1 versteckter und 1 Gast. [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Der Rekord liegt bei 6 Benutzern am 03.05.2002 - 14:19.

If a record of 6 (!) users is using too much server ressources, you should change your hoster! :lol: Seriously, you can do all you want, if there is a problem with such a small forum ... I don't know.

Or were you trying some fancy things on the day you received the warning? Like trying to convert from another forum, trying to restore a huge backup or sth. like that...
Ultron

Post by Ultron »

R. U. Serious wrote: Or were you trying some fancy things on the day you received the warning? Like trying to convert from another forum, trying to restore a huge backup or sth. like that...

No. never.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

I suggest you change host, their service seems to suck. Your forum is rather small (670 posts, 43 members) and shouldn't result in any major CPU load. However a forum with 50,000 posts and 2,000 members would have a serious impact on CPU load.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”