A questionable hit volume?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ChrisG46

A questionable hit volume?

Post by ChrisG46 »

Last Sunday, 6th February, the board I had on my site in a directory called /phpbb had about 7000 hits. I found this worrying, so on Monday evening I renamed the directory - the hits stopped, of course. I put up a note saying I didn't know what was happening, and put this into a directory called /forum for people to find. Today, I put back a new directory called /phpbb and immediately found two "guests" logged on to the board from somewhere called network-tools.com, which seems to have a tool which looks for insecurities in boards and site. I deleted my directory /phpbb again.
Can anyone tell me what is happening here please? My site and my board have been growing in popularity, but I don't have the expertise to do a lot of work with the phpbb, and I don't want to continue with any board, etc., if it constantly requires some sort of work input.
Lyrikal_J

Post by Lyrikal_J »

well if you rename the directory the domain will change

:?

http://www.[forum].com/phpbb/

[/url]
xoboll

Post by xoboll »

having exactly the same problem.. so much so i have removed all acces to the site and currently have taken the index.php away to see if it will stop the constant hits
ChrisG46

Post by ChrisG46 »

Interesting. I understand what Lyrikal_J says - I've changed the location from domain/phpbb to domain/somethingelse - but what's concerning me is these vast numbers of hits, and where they're coming from. My main site runs lots of video, so bandwidth costs are a consideration - if I get lots of what I assume are automated hits, they're going to impact my costs eventually, aren't they?

Other than putting up the numbers, of course, and impacting my costs, these hits seemed not to impair anything. The host's helpline ops took a look and couldn't seem to get far, so I've left it at that, but I'm sad to loose the community I was building up. This is the worst aspect, and at the moment I can't see where to go next.
Lyrikal_J

Post by Lyrikal_J »

hm.... next time dont change the directory name...

because that will ruin your whole forum... not just the domain...
ChrisG46

Post by ChrisG46 »

Okay; so how could I get rid of all these automated (I suspect) hits?
Lyrikal_J

Post by Lyrikal_J »

whats your forum url
ChrisG46

Post by ChrisG46 »

www.felixstowetv.co.uk/phpBB but the directory phpBB is now not present - I deleted it.
Lyrikal_J

Post by Lyrikal_J »

whts the directory rite now...
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

Have a look in the Admin Panel and get the IP addresses of some of these guests and look them up - odds are most of them will be Google/MSN search bots crawling the site to index it
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
ChrisG46

Post by ChrisG46 »

Now that I understand, Graham. But 7000 hits in less than 40 hours ? and the moment I re-instated the directory "/phpBB" I had 2 virtually instant guests which showed as www.network-tools.com . . .
bgaidan

Post by bgaidan »

Network tools is just an IP lookup site that all phpBB installs direct you to to track a user's IP. When you're in the ACP and click an IP it brings you to a network tools IP lookup page with the IP field already filled out. You can then submit that IP and network tools will tell you the origin of the IP. It's not networktools.com that's hitting your site.
ChrisG46

Post by ChrisG46 »

Thanks for the help, but it's too complicated for me, guys! I'll just pop on a guestbook and a very basic CGI forum supplied by my hosting service. I do belong to a couple of phpBB based forums which I like very much, and that's what decided me to put one up on my site myself. Doing the installation was no problem, follow the instructions. Upgrading was similarly fine.
But if I'm going to get problems I don't understand, then I'd rather not bother! I'd be happy to pay some amount for someone to provide a forum that just works all the time and that I can monitor and manage - but I'm just a writer, film-maker and publisher, not much else . . .
t0m|ta

Post by t0m|ta »

You should not give up, eventually someone will find a solution for this. I got the same problem.

My hosting closed down my forum this morning. Other phpBB sites I know off are being atakked similarly, and the directory name does not seem to do any good, mine is called "foros". Registration is not a solution, they do not register. Ip banning is not working either, they come with different ip's (up to 300 different ips)

They don't do anything, the just lurk around, till your forums goes down or the server crashes, then they start again.

It' seems to be popularity and good google indexing what gets them on your back.

I've seen several posts already about this problem here on phpBB.com but no body seems to be taking it seriously. :(

is there any way to stop all this thousand of lurkers?
t0m|ta
--

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”