[CDB] Smart Subjects

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
User avatar
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Posts: 21609
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Does that only disable subject edits in the quickreply or also when using the normal post feature?
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
LavIgor
Registered User
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by LavIgor »

As for the extension discussed in this topic, I think that the functionality should be forum-based.
E.g. I find it useful related to extensions here when you can see what was the status of the extension when a poster replied to a topic (dev/alpha/beta/RC or a certain version).
It is possible because the subjects of old posts remain unchanged.

For general purpose, of course, this extension can be very useful.
I think it will also be great to have a checkbox in the form so that the editor of the first post can decide whether or not to edit the subjects of the replies.
Maybe this setting is more important and easier to implement than making the functionality forum-based.
RMcGirr83 wrote:Does that only disable subject edits in the quickreply or also when using the normal post feature?
It affects both quick reply and normal posting, both replies and edits.
It is one of the additional useful features of the extension.
User avatar
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Posts: 21609
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by RMcGirr83 »

LavIgor wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:Does that only disable subject edits in the quickreply or also when using the normal post feature?
It affects both quick reply and normal posting, both replies and edits.
It is one of the additional useful features of the extension.
Nice. :)
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
User avatar
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Posts: 5270
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Matt Friedman
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by MattF »

LavIgor wrote:I think it will also be great to have a checkbox in the form so that the editor of the first post can decide whether or not to edit the subjects of the replies.
Maybe this setting is more important and easier to implement than making the functionality forum-based.
Interesting. Will look into that. Having it in the "options" section would be ideal.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
hrx
Registered User
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:21 am
Location: PL

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by hrx »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Get over yourself, I've said nothing to offend you. Here's an idea, you don't like the extension don't use the extension. Topic over.
* removed * I asked for the extension and the guy VSE decided to create such an extension, but I'm not entirely understood that what he wrote in the description of this extension, I hoped that I will be able to change all names of the reply even the ones in which users wrote the reply their own title. So I wrote the post if VSE could enable something like this in extension and you cling to me if I did something wrong.
Pond Life wrote:I agree with Matt & Rich, it should only change the ones that match the original title, if someone has given their reply a different title it shouldn't be changed.
So I'll ask you why you think that the one who wrote the post and wrote his title of the reply can't to change this reply? Why you think in this way? Is some wrong in it? Because I'm not really understand what is in it that you claim that can't to change title of somebody’s own reply?

If someone create a topic and the title of this topic is: Barcelona defeated Real Madrid! And somebody else creating the reply and changing the title on "super" it doesn't make sense, because a title of reply should be the same as a title of main topic. The fact that somebody has a whim and changing the title of reply it's him, but I as administrator need a tool which will enable me to re-enactment title of reply on correct, that as the main topic is.

VSE why you didn't answer on my post?
LavIgor wrote:hrx, QuickReply Reloaded has a feature to disable subject edits based on permissions system.
So you can set the permission for moderators and administrators only, subjects of posts from other users will be the same with the topic subject.

Moreover, it is planned to create a setting to remove the subject box from the form instead of disabling it.
Thanks for information. LavIgor maybe you could create such a extension what I mean about? It's mean with the possibility of change main name of topic along with all replies even with these in which user wrote his own title of reply?
Last edited by marian0810 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to get offensive
User avatar
mrgoldy
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Name: Gijs
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by mrgoldy »

You're only giving examples when people give 'foolish' titles of their replies. In your case, if there was a topic with 'Barcelona vs Real Madrid', I made a reply and changed the topic title to 'Viva Barcelona' and in the post itself say 'We're going to win this', you change all my titles and nobody got a clue what I'm talking about?

But I'm not going to interfere here, it's up to VSE as he made the extension.
phpBB Studio / Member of the Studio

Contributing: You can do it too! Including testing Pull Requests (PR).
phpBB Development and Testing made easy.
LavIgor
Registered User
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by LavIgor »

hrx wrote:LavIgor maybe you could create such a extension what I mean about? It's mean with the possibility of change main name of topic along with all replies even with these in which user wrote his own title of reply?
hrx, please explain what you want as a result.
As I have understood, you do not want to see custom titles in users' replies because they can be unrelated, not meaningful etc.
Then the described feature can help to solve this problem. I don't understand why you want to update the subjects manually every time if it is possible to do this thing automatically by making the subjects exactly the same as topic title by default.
hrx
Registered User
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:21 am
Location: PL

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by hrx »

posey wrote:You're only giving examples when people give 'foolish' titles of their replies. In your case, if there was a topic with 'Barcelona vs Real Madrid', I made a reply and changed the topic title to 'Viva Barcelona' and in the post itself say 'We're going to win this', you change all my titles and nobody got a clue what I'm talking about?

But I'm not going to interfere here, it's up to VSE as he made the extension.
As I wrote what is irritating me when users are writing silly titles of their replies. And write me why in the topic "Barcelona vs Real Madrid" make a reply you have to change the title on "Viva Barcelona"? What for you have to do this? Why every user is interested in a change of the title of the reply? Everyone will have comprehending what you are writing about, because you wrote "We're going to win this" in reply. And one more thing, it's your problem what contents you're writing in response, less sensible reply it's your problem, everyone writing the reply is supposed to made a specific response, example: "We're going to win this! Viva Barcelona!" and everything is clear.

I wrote to VSE a suggestion about for enabling such a change, cause I think that it is a needed option.
LavIgor wrote:hrx, please explain what you want as a result.
As I have understood, you do not want to see custom titles in users' replies because they can be unrelated, not meaningful etc.
Then the described feature can help to solve this problem. I don't understand why you want to update the subjects manually every time if it is possible to do this thing automatically by making the subjects exactly the same as topic title by default.
I wrote what I mean about. That's correct, some titles of the replies of users are unrelated with the main title. They are not meaningful, are senselessly. What described function? I don't really know what you mean.
User avatar
Volksdevil
Registered User
Posts: 2414
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: Neil
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by Volksdevil »

posey wrote:it's up to VSE as he made the extension.
To be fair, hrx requested the extension and got something slightly different...Although I'm sure he appreciates the work by VSE, this isn't quite what he asked for.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
LavIgor
Registered User
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by LavIgor »

hrx wrote:That's correct, some titles of the replies of users are unrelated with the main title. They are not meaningful, are senselessly.
OK. I understood what you mean. Then I would like to describe the available features more clearly.
hrx wrote:What described function? I don't really know what you mean.
I suppose that some screenshots will explain the possibilities.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Together with Smart Subjects extension these features can let you achieve the requested result.
Also please note that mentioned features do not require quick reply to be enabled in any forum.
User avatar
mrgoldy
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Name: Gijs
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by mrgoldy »

Volksdevil wrote:
posey wrote:it's up to VSE as he made the extension.
To be fair, hrx requested the extension and got something slightly different...Although I'm sure he appreciates the work by VSE, this isn't quite what he asked for.
I understand that this is not exactly what hrx wanted, yet VSE is the developer of this extension so it's his choice..
phpBB Studio / Member of the Studio

Contributing: You can do it too! Including testing Pull Requests (PR).
phpBB Development and Testing made easy.
User avatar
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Posts: 5270
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Matt Friedman
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by MattF »

This extension is what was originally asked for, which was for reply titles to be updated when edited. However, as I've previously explained, in a general sense, it makes absolutely no sense to update anything other than titles that match, ie: titles that replying posters never changed themselves when posting. Because if the titles do not match, there is a specific reason for that, intended by the user, moderator or admin.

It sounds to me like hrx really wants some kind of admin tool that will blindly reparse every post, and overwrite every reply to match the title, which he can run every day via cron (which would be a costly task). That is not what this extension is for. This extension is aimed at adding a common sense update to something the core does not naturally do ;)
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
User avatar
Volksdevil
Registered User
Posts: 2414
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: Neil
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by Volksdevil »

VSE wrote:This extension is what was originally asked for
Nope. It's not.
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2348431&p=14288361#p14283826
hrx wrote: If somebody could create the extension to phpBB 3.1.6 thanks to which it will be possible to change the name of the main topic and the name of all replies?
He asked for that ^ To change the topic title and all replies. Not that I'm bothered, just pointing it out as this seems to be turning into a "Why do you want to do that" kind of topic when really it's up to him what he wants. Not everybody has the same needs...

Edit: This is a handy extension for many though I'm sure either way :)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
User avatar
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Posts: 5270
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Matt Friedman
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by MattF »

Volksdevil wrote:
VSE wrote:This extension is what was originally asked for
Nope. It's not.
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2348431&p=14288361#p14283826
It is what was asked for and discussed. http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=48706
hrx wrote:Currently in phpBB doesn't have a possibility of the change of name of the main topic along with all replies "Re:".
Anyway, I am considering adding a tick-box to the "options" panel when editing a post, available only to the admin, like "Overwrite all reply subjects" or something. So that way only an admin can in fact rewrite all the replies to be Re: the original post title. And the admin would not necessarily need to change the title too, they would just tick that box and whatever the title is, will be applied to all the Re: reply titles. Would that satisfy what hrx is after?
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
User avatar
Volksdevil
Registered User
Posts: 2414
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: Neil
Contact:

Re: [BETA] Smart Subjects

Post by Volksdevil »

VSE wrote:
Volksdevil wrote:
VSE wrote:This extension is what was originally asked for
Nope. It's not.
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2348431&p=14288361#p14283826
It is what was asked for and discussed. http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=48706
hrx wrote:Currently in phpBB doesn't have a possibility of the change of name of the main topic along with all replies "Re:".
Anyway, I am considering adding a tick-box to the "options" panel when editing a post, available only to the admin, like "Overwrite all reply subjects" or something. So that way only an admin can in fact rewrite all the replies to be Re: the original post title. And the admin would not necessarily need to change the title too, they would just tick that box and whatever the title is, will be applied to all the Re: reply titles. Would that satisfy what hrx is after?
Lol, I see the same thing being asked for there too...I think your idea of the checkbox is a great solution that should make this a very usable and complete extension. 8-)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Locked

Return to “Extensions in Development”