Getting error 500 after removing install directory once update was completed.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
pantherfan
Name: Tangela

Getting error 500 after removing install directory once update was completed.

Post by pantherfan »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.7-pl1
What is your board's URL? http://www.writersplay.net
Who do you host your board with? Hosting it myself on a ramnode vps.
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.6
What extensions do you have installed? @mention system, ajax chat, auto database backup, board notices manager, Collapsible Forum Categories, database optimize and repair tool, delete my registration, first post on every page, list subforums in columns, loading indicator, log failed logins, log new user, lygav/phpbbPostLike - A Facebook like 'Like' button for PHPBB, move topics when locked, new topics need approval, pages, PM Welcome, Posting Template, postnumbers, Scroll to Top, search user topics, stop forum spam, topic preview.
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver, AllanStyle-SUBSILVER, black and prosilver special edition.
What language(s) is your board currently using? American english
Which database type/version are you using? MYSQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and PHPBB.
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Updated from phpBB 3.1.6 to 3.1.7PL1 using the update tab in ACP.
Please describe your problem. Updated from 3.1.6 to 3.1.7PL1 using the automatic updater. Everything went fine or so it said on the final screen. If I go to my homepage, it says I need to delete or move the install directory. As soon as I do this, and refresh, I get a server 500 error. Putting the install directory back makes the board come up again, but with that same error. I see nothing in acp>error log, so am a bit confused as to what to try.
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by pantherfan on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63

Re: Getting error 500 after removing install directory once update was completed.

Post by david63 »

What does your server error log say?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

pantherfan

Re: Getting error 500 after removing install directory once update was completed.

Post by pantherfan »

If you mean my webserver, I get this. If you mean another log just let me know.
tail /var/log/lighttpd/error.log
2016-01-28 12:22:40: (mod_fastcgi.c.2695) FastCGI-stderr: PHP message: PHP Fatal
error: Cannot redeclare display_forums() in ȞN on line 25

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

try doing the update again. only this time do not use the auto update method.

download the full package, unzip it and remove the config.php file .

then upload all the rest to the server letting them overwrite what is there.

then , in your browser , go to yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php

then when it is finished, go back and delete the folder named install.

you are done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

pantherfan

Post by pantherfan »

Awesome! That seems to have fixed it. If you don't mind me asking, do we know what causes that to happen?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

usually it will be because there is some file from the old version that is not getting updated properly when using the auto update method.

the only time you should use that auto update method is if for some reason ,you have been editing the core phpbb files.

with the new extension system for phpbb 3.1.x there is rarely a need for editing the actual files , therefore a simple file replacement works the best for updating.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”