Visual confirmation for guest posts

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
pbellamy

Visual confirmation for guest posts

Post by pbellamy »

I want to allow guests to post on my forum but have a prevention in place for scripted spamming. Could a mod be created along the lines of the Visual Confirmation that is used when registering that could allow guests to post by entering something similar?
mcbexx

Post by mcbexx »

For what it's worth, I second that request.

Let's face it, a lot of people don't want to register on every board they access, and I would prefer if visitors of my forum could choose not to.

But since we have been hit by Pepotamo the other day, I would also like to set up a threshold for spammers without harassing regular visitors.

Registered users should not need to visually confirm their posts, of course, just Guests.

Plus, the visual confirmation code already is included, so it should be fairly easy to implement (sorry if this is an incorrect assumption, I can't code at all :roll:)
tobiaseigen

Post by tobiaseigen »

I vote for this too. Would love to have this mod to prevent the pepotamos out there.

Cheers,

Tobias
Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org
vsego

Post by vsego »

If I may add - it would be nice to have this, but without unneccessary DB changes. :shock:

Code that one should type might be some combination of guest's IP and some local server's info that spam-bot can't get a hold of. :D That way, there would be no need to cache codes in some additional table. :D

Btw, current v.c. script does exactly that - plays with additional table. :|
If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?
Stephen King
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

Do you have currently problems with allowing guests to post? If not why not give it a go.

I have my forum opens to guests ... no spam-bots sofar.
tanner_S.

Post by tanner_S. »

Brilliant Idea.

-Tanner
odschvorpis

Post by odschvorpis »

We need that - fast. Have a look at "New. "Pepotamo1985" hack". Captchas for guest users would be the ideal solution.

Cheers
Tom
otseng

Post by otseng »

Not quite a "visual confirmation", but I hacked out something to keep my board from being spammed. The mod is here.
vsego

Post by vsego »

Ok, here is my solution: Guest Post Visual Confirmation. 8)

Many thanx to otseng for his code - made my life much easier. :D

I'm using it on my forum, but it will take some time to test it completely. :? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this topic to see if there are any problems with this. :)
If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?
Stephen King
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

I do have to wonder why the visual confirmation functions in 2.0.11 aren't being used, and why you've created a completely separate PHP file instead.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
vsego

Post by vsego »

Kanuck wrote: I do have to wonder why the visual confirmation functions in 2.0.11 aren't being used, and why you've created a completely separate PHP file instead.

Simple: I'm not familiar with phpBB code enough to do it that way. :oops:

The problem is that the original phpBB's v.c. is based on codes cached in DB which is something I want to avoid. :)

I'd be more than happy to use a solution that would use only phpBB's original code (but without caching control codes in DB). :)
Stephen King
vsego

Post by vsego »

Sorry, forgot to answer this one:
Kanuck wrote: ...why you've created a completely separate PHP file instead.

I always make my mods that way. :D Why? :)

I believe that code is easier to maintain that way, beacues calls from edited phpBB file rarely change, so my updates are almost always just a matter of uploading the up-to-date version of the "master" file. 8)
Stephen King
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Guess I forgot to mention in this thread that I made a MOD that duplicates the existing visual confirmation for guest posters, without GD or ImageMagick libraries necessary.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=264344
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
pbellamy

Post by pbellamy »

Kanuck wrote: Guess I forgot to mention in this thread that I made a MOD that duplicates the existing visual confirmation for guest posters, without GD or ImageMagick libraries necessary.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=264344

I've this installed and it works a treat

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”