[BETA] Visual Confirmation for Guests

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

[BETA] Visual Confirmation for Guests

Post by Kanuck »

My first MOD, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here. I submitted it to the database, but figure people could really use this now. It uses the existing visual confirmation found in usercp_register.php.

I haven't tested it yet, heh. Let me know if it borks your board or there are parse errors; that wouldn't be so awesome.

Visual Confirmation for Guests 1.0.1
Demo: http://dev.kanuck.net/forum/index.php
Code: http://files.kanuck.net/guest_confirmation_1_0_1.mod

Please note both of these are sitting on a Pentium 166 on the floor beside me. As such, it might be a little slow. :)
Last edited by Kanuck on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Yeah -- I can try it, but you wouldn't happen to already have a demo site set up, would you? Or maybe a screen shot?
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Ahahahaha... okay, done testing. Don't use it, yet.

Firstly - parse error. I rock. Missing parenthesis.

And secondly, need to add language file entries.

I'll get on it, be done shortly. But it DOES work.

Edit: oh, crap. Another slight problem with just having re-used the registration mechanism. Fixing both, though.
Kanuck
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Demo: http://dev.kanuck.net/forum/index.php
Code: http://files.kanuck.net/guest_confirmation_1_0_1.mod

Please note both of these are sitting on a Pentium 166 on the floor beside me. As such, it might be a little slow. :)
Kanuck
onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Neat. I want to put it in between "Username:" and "Subject:", and have it say "To stave off spam-bots the following code must be entered exactly as is when posting as a guest." directly below "If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Administrator for help." How do I go about doing that? But I want that extra text to only appear for the VC for guests when posting, not registering.
@ The Infinity Program.
-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

onigumo wrote: "If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Administrator for help." How do I go about doing that? But I want that extra text to only appear for the VC for guests when posting, not registering.

if you have vc installed but not enabled then use the same language entry (editing it ... Btw i've removed the mail 'cause I didn't want spam).
Otherwise you should enter a new $lang variable with your custom text in lang_main.php and declare it properly

hope it could help.
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

Hey kanuck,
why don't you slow things down and let it be BETA-tested for a while :roll:

A nice MOD, but give it time to develop before unleashing it right into 1.0.0.

Just my 2 cents,
Manfred
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

-jm- wrote: if you have vc installed but not enabled then use the same language entry (editing it ... Btw i've removed the mail 'cause I didn't want spam).
Otherwise you should enter a new $lang variable with your custom text in lang_main.php and declare it properly

hope it could help.

If you disable visual confirmation in the admin panel, it will also disable this MOD, for consistency's sake. Should it use a separate language entry? Probably. But for now, I figure it's more important to have something simple and functional, until I can work out a way to eliminate the current code duplication it introduces, move the image generation somewhere that makes more sense than profile.php, and improve upon the mechanism that prevents it from being broken by brute force.
mad-manne wrote: Hey kanuck,
why don't you slow things down and let it be BETA-tested for a while :roll:

A nice MOD, but give it time to develop before unleashing it right into 1.0.0.

Just my 2 cents,
Manfred

KVS always starts at 1.0.0. :P
Kanuck
onigumo

Post by onigumo »

-jm- wrote:
onigumo wrote:"If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Administrator for help." How do I go about doing that? But I want that extra text to only appear for the VC for guests when posting, not registering.

if you have vc installed but not enabled then use the same language entry (editing it ... Btw i've removed the mail 'cause I didn't want spam).

hope it could help.

Thanks. ^.^
@ The Infinity Program.
RebirthSephiroth

Post by RebirthSephiroth »

Just installed it, works fine. Neat. Although I'm not sure if the script/bot can post using quick reply... I'll ask in the correct topic.
-Zeno McDohl aka RebirthSephiroth
http://www.biyg.org/forums/
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Nice mod. Makes things a lot safer bot wise when allowing guests to post. Clever idea.
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

Thanks for the MOD, we could expand this to the login page.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

Yes, it needs to support the QUICK REPLY mods. Either that, or quick reply should be disabled for guest posters.
Come play Final Fantasy Tactics: Online!
Features:
- Pick one of 351 class combinations. Battle 150 different monsters. Find over 2,200 weapons, armor, and items. Fight in tournaments or play the Gil Slots. Anything goes!
Latinus

Post by Latinus »

Suggestion : do not make difference between CAPS and small letters...

Edit : I know there's an explanation "blabla case sensitive", but I know many people who don't see it (just because they're upset to type a code, lol).
So, is it really necessary to force the MOD to be case sensitive ?
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Hmm... this is actually just a copy of the functionality found in phpBB 2.0.11, which I hadn't realized would be case sensitive. I didn't test that out myself, strangely enough, I suppose I'd just assumed.

Since the MOD doesn't use both uppercase and lowercase letters, you're right. I'll look into it, perhaps they changed that for 2.0.12.

Ultimately, what would be ideal is to move the functionality into functions somewhere that makes sense, rather than the stuff sitting in the calling pages and profile.php. As it is, this MOD is completely guilty of code duplication, and sort of turns visual confirmation into spaghetti code. But this is the method that requires the least work to implement, even if it is a little ugly on the backend.

I sort of wish visual confirmation hadn't been implemented permanently in 2.0.11, just so something a little more fleshed-out could have been figured out. Then again, nobody saw this coming :)
Kanuck

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”